Builds A simple Troopy build thread.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Totally different interior with the panels in....
20200410_174818.jpeg
20200410_174841.jpeg

Friday afternoon is clear out the shop to clean and mop....also posing the trucks for pics.
20200410_174728.jpeg
20200410_174439_HDR.jpg

Found out that Partsouq is down for 2 weeks....so nothing goes out. Was hoping to get the rear window runs in so we could finish them up and install. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit. Plenty to do so no biggie.

Looking better and better every day.

Just got an email from Partsouq. My latest order shipped via FedEx; be here Tuesday. Maybe two weeks “down” turned into one week?

Just got an email from Partsouq. My latest order shipped via FedEx; be here Tuesday. Maybe two weeks “down” turned into one week?

Yep....DHL just sent me a shipping notice which is great news. Bad news is, I already have another order ready to finalize :)

Back on Troopy the last few days. DHL was kind enough to drop off our Partsouq order that contained the stuff we needed to finish these.

What a monumental pain in the ass this first slider window was. Wow. By the second one, we had it done in 5 minutes I think. All new glass, all new parts.....satin black powder coated frames.
20200415_100820.jpg

Used some butyl to seal things up. There was ZERO sealant on the windows when we removed them.

20200415_101223.jpg

The inside trim locks the frames in big time. Cool setup with how serviceable they are are.

20200415_101242.jpg

I love installing new glass in our builds.....I know what to be prepared for.....I'm never prepared. I'm always amazed at just how nice it makes things.

20200415_103823.jpg

Had a chance to do the headliner today...another big job I wanted to get done. I used a product called Thermozite....bought it here:

Neat material. Allows for some stretch so it was nice to tuck in the corners. Made from recycled bottles.

I had bought a proper spray gun for this job....just like the pro guys use. I've always used cans of 3M spray adhesive....this was easier and I plan on doing some more with it. Used a pretty standard contact adhesive.

Sprayed both surfaces

20200415_143433.jpeg
20200415_143456.jpeg

Then we started laying it in. I started with the center and worked towards the edges. A little tricky getting glue in the edges but we managed. I think I could have a career as a glue sprayer. Probably not a career as an installer. Very challenging.
20200415_151551.jpeg

The seams get covered by the roof supports....they're wide so we had a lot of room to get the seams where we wanted them. Between the Damplifier Pro, the Spectrum and now this covering, we're going to have zero room between the supports and the roof. Supports go in tomorrow.
20200415_174929.jpeg

Had a chance to do the headliner today...another big job I wanted to get done. I used a product called Thermozite....bought it here:

Neat material. Allows for some stretch so it was nice to tuck in the corners. Made from recycled bottles.

I had bought a proper spray gun for this job....just like the pro guys use. I've always used cans of 3M spray adhesive....this was easier and I plan on doing some more with it. Used a pretty standard contact adhesive.

Sprayed both surfaces

View attachment 2274101View attachment 2274102

Then we started laying it in. I started with the center and worked towards the edges. A little tricky getting glue in the edges but we managed. I think I could have a career as a glue sprayer. Probably not a career as an installer. Very challenging.
View attachment 2274103

The seams get covered by the roof supports....they're wide so we had a lot of room to get the seams where we wanted them. Between the Damplifier Pro, the Spectrum and now this covering, we're going to have zero room between the supports and the roof. Supports go in tomorrow.
View attachment 2274104

Is the dappled appearance on the roof due to the contact adhesive or the Spectrum?
That material looks super nice.

Is the dappled appearance on the roof due to the contact adhesive or the Spectrum?
That material looks super nice.

Spectrum.....we brushed it in so it was not uniform at all. We should have sprayed or rolled. But I knew I was going with the thicker material so it wouldn't be much of an issue. Plus when we spray we have to tape everything out....brushing gives way more control and way less mess. We do that on floor boards usually if there is going to be carpet going in. You can really lay it on thick too.

Back on Troopy the last few days. DHL was kind enough to drop off our Partsouq order that contained the stuff we needed to finish these.

What a monumental pain in the ass this first slider window was. Wow. By the second one, we had it done in 5 minutes I think. All new glass, all new parts.....satin black powder coated frames.
View attachment 2274069

Used some butyl to seal things up. There was ZERO sealant on the windows when we removed them.

View attachment 2274077

The inside trim locks the frames in big time. Cool setup with how serviceable they are are.

View attachment 2274078

I love installing new glass in our builds.....I know what to be prepared for.....I'm never prepared. I'm always amazed at just how nice it makes things.

View attachment 2274070

basically just like an RV window. This should work excellent for my new removable window plan in the BJ74.

basically just like an RV window. This should work excellent for my new removable window plan in the BJ74.

Yeah.....easy setup to service as well as to take in and out.....easy to adapt to whatever someone needs.

Even got the lights working today....

P4164906.jpg
20200416_102359.jpg

I REALLY like how your roof/headliner solution went. I'm going to flagrantly steal most of this... already have the Spectrum.

Steal as much as you like :) I'm really happy with how it turned out.

You should lay down some Damplifier Pro before you Spectrum...just a few sheets...nothing crazy. Really helps tighten things up.

This interior isn't even done yet and the change is dramatic....

20190715_134728.jpg
20200416_173031.jpg

Finished the handle

20200416_173038.jpg

Only 2 more pieces of glass to go...
20200416_173634_HDR.jpg

Finished our roof today....had to order some edge moulding on Amazon....the OEM stuff was 6x the cost of this before shipping. This stuff was perfect....grey too.

20200420_103837.jpeg
20200420_164525.jpeg
20200420_164532.jpeg

Back to our side panels and storage.....came up with a simple solution.....a box mounted behind the panel.

Make a box out of aluminum,
20200420_164040.jpeg

Situate box on rear of panel

20200420_161421.jpeg

Cut opening out

20200420_170037.jpeg

Trim opening out with leftover edge moulding from roof project
20200420_171738.jpeg

20200420_171743.jpeg

We'll line the box with carpet once everything is dialed in.....going to repeat this for the other side. Surprising amount of storage in this little cubby.

Like the solution for the rear panels, looks great and gives great access to the space withouth having to remove the panels. How did you manage to screw the panels to the body? Rivnuts?

Another nice build. Did you replace the windshield? I'm going to replace it in my 79 and just wondered if you use any sealer between the frame and the seal?

Like the solution for the rear panels, looks great and gives great access to the space withouth having to remove the panels. How did you manage to screw the panels to the body? Rivnuts?

Yes on the rivnuts....really nice for this application.

I like the idea of storage without hatches, doors or panels that have to come off. Just nice simple storage areas for smaller stuff. Going to be nice once they're coated and fully installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom