Builds Just another 79 build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

c2dfj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.c2dusa.com
Thought I'd post up some pics of our 79 build. Pretty much the same as some of the other ones going on....1997 FZJ80 drivetrain and chassis that will be extended. My goal is to make this thing look as OEM as possible. I'm going to keep it forever so I'm doing the right way.....everything is Toyota and everything will be new. I've spent the last 1.5 years amassing my interior/exterior parts. My truck was damaged pretty badly in shipping so unfortunately, I'll have to repaint it(sticking with white). I opted to keep the interior good old Toyota oak as the door panels and mats were already that color. I'm digging the oak....very glad I went that route. Once we get the body squared up and mounted, we'll tear down the motor and do a rebuild. Strip the chassis for blasting/coating. I think I'll probably Linex the underside of the cab as well as the bed(going to do them in something close to oak). This won't be a 4 wheeler, probably just a daily driver with occasional off road use and or towing. Probably use it to run parts around for the shop too. Should be a fun build....should be more fun to drive it.
P1040279.jpg
P1030725.jpg
P1010181.jpg

More pics....body going on the chassis for initial mock up. We should have the body mounted in position this week.....depending on the customer work in the shop. Since this is my project.....it gets worked on last. Fine by me.

Once the cab is on and mounted....we'll lay out the stretching of the frame.
P1010285.jpg
P1010293.jpg
P1010305.jpg

Nice truck! That is one clean shop. Everything looks super clean and just gorgeous. Nice work!!!

Last set of pics....rough mock up of the interior. I went ahead and ordered the OEM seats for the truck. Big bucks but for me, it's important for it to look legit. I have every piece of the dash, the heater and most importantly for me, AC. A must in FL. Column was a RHD unit that we will witch over to LHD....have all the pieces. New wheel, new horn pad, new cover for the column. Oak of course. I also bought a full matched key set.....doors, ignition, glove box. One key. Nice. I was very apprehensive about the width of the 80s axles and the narrowness of the 79 body so I went ahead and ordered OEM fender flares. They're pretty slick and fit on as you would expect...perfectly. They'll be color matched to the body when it gets paint. Working on doing the gauges(I have a used cluster that I'll 'blend' with the 80s gauges as I am keeping the 80s harness(I think). We'll cross that bridge when we get to the wiring phase.

Did a quick inspection of the steering column....I have a 14mmx36 spline female universal on the column(not sure what year the column is). 17mmx36 is the output of the 80 box.....14mm splined shaft isn't that easy to find....thinking if I could use that, I could do a 14mm/17mm universal into the steering box.
P1010314.jpg
P1010320.jpg
P1010322.jpg

A few more pics. These are 2000 Tacoma wheels with OEM rubber. Once I get the truck's bed on, I'll figure out what wheels I want to use. I really want steelies like it would have had from the factory. Thought about using FJ Cruiser steel wheels but I think they'll be a bit too wide. Not good. I'll worry about that down the road....
P1010313.jpg
P1010315.jpg

Lol. I've got them on lock down. Only I know where they are.

I'm in Tampa.

Lol. I've got them on lock down. Only I know where they are.

I'm in Tampa.

Tampa is a large city. I need GPS coordinates and an idea when you go to lunch.:D
When you finish the Cruiser run up to Tallahassee and let me drool over it.:)

A few more pics. These are 2000 Tacoma wheels with OEM rubber. Once I get the truck's bed on, I'll figure out what wheels I want to use. I really want steelies like it would have had from the factory. Thought about using FJ Cruiser steel wheels but I think they'll be a bit too wide. Not good. I'll worry about that down the road....

Did you get the rear oem overfender?
I still have the part no with me.:D
Nice nice truck.

I have the rear flares as well. I'm missing 2 of the brackets that hold it on but I have the part number. Just waiting to get them in. I won't be installing the rears any time soon....

Cool project you have.
What shifter set up will you use for the auto.

I'm going to try to use the OEM auto shifter assembly out of the FZJ80. I was talking to Dave at Japan 4x4 about getting the pieces from an auto FZJ79 but I thik I had better try what I have first to see where things are. Obviously there will be some obstacles to overcome but I have every piece from the donor truck including the trans hump just in case I need it.

Secured the rear cab mounts yesterday....going to try and fabricate the front mounts this week so we can start to wrap our head around the frame extension and what needs to be done there.

My dog likes her view from the passenger seat....
P1010338.jpg

1. have shop envy .. !

2. Love when folks said " I'm gonna keep it forever " Coz Cruisers are forever and I care my cruisers to last ..

nice build !

Thanks tapage.....I have a lot of toys but Cruisers have always stuck around. This one is going to be the ultimate, in my mind at least, so it stays. I drive a 66 FJ45(3FE conversion, 4 speed, PS, AC, discs at all 4 corners) as a daily....that old girl will get some time off once this one is on the road.

Received the steering column cover today. Ordered a steering joint to connect the intermediate shaft to the 80s box. Mocked up the front cab mounts. They get cut and built tomorrow. Ordered some minor stuff from Dave at Japan 4x4. That guy has made this build possible....great guy to the really cool stuff from. Can't recommend him enough.

I'm fortunate as I have a tremendous head tech at my shop who can do anything. This is a slow time of year for us so I want to cram in as much stuff as I can on this thing before we get busy again. We rarely have slow times.

Check out my website to see the 'paying' work we do....

C2 Design ...Geared for the way you drive.

Been thru that phase.....I'm partial to the BMWs. It's one of the primary cars that we do performance upgrades on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom