Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

c2dfj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.c2dusa.com
As a follow up to my Builds - Just another 79 build..... I thought I'd do a new thread to document the build of our LC79#2. This one won't be nearly as complex as the first one.....this was an uncompleted rolling truck so the hard work was done. This body was part of the same group of bodies my first truck was from. Born together in Japan, shipped around the world ending up in the US, separated in the US, back together again in FL. Funny how that worked.

I learned so much on the first build, the new build won't be nearly as complex but definitely a challenge. As with LC79#1, I try to keep these things as legit as possible. This one is going to be primarily a truck that will cover long distances and be fully self sufficient......kind of what LC79#1 evolved in to.

For now, these are definite:

80 series frame stretched to fit 79 body
80 series locking axles
1HDT motor with auto trans
Airbag dash(we call it the RAV4 dash)
Canopy/tent/awning/etc.
Dual fuel tanks

These things always evolve, we'll be making some changes here and there as we go.

As a roller, this one was way easier to transport....except that it had to come from Oregon to get to FL.....and it was a non-runner. I transport a lot of cars around.....this is the location and condition I fear. THE most expensive to ship.

The truck had a lot of used parts that were included. Old style dash, unfinished fuel tank, column, flares, misc interior stuff, etc. The stuff that came with the take off bodies was all included too....snorkel, lights, grille, some interior paneling, etc.

Required some assembly and packing of all the parts before it's long trip to Tampa.....

Finally it was packed up and ready to go.

Last edited:
Took about a month to secure a ride to FL for it.....it was in a remote location in Oregon...not a lot of transport guys running between there and FL.

Loaded and ready to enjoy the sunny and warm weather in FL.

I think it took about a week to get to FL.....we had a lot of trucks shipped in last year...can't remember if this was a quick one or not. Some of these guys just barrel right on thru with 2 drivers. I've been surprised a couple of times when they call and are about 2 hours out....when they should be 2 days. A good surprise usually.

Made it safe and sound to Tampa...

Rear tail gate definitely got some bugs....better than rocks on a windshield.

Reunited with its long lost brother.

I hope it's entertaining.....pressure is on!
Can't imagine what that tailgate would have looked like during love bug season. :)

I’d like to see the body mounts. I’m almost to the point of securing the body to the frame.

I’d like to see the body mounts. I’m almost to the point of securing the body to the frame.

I think I had some pretty good pics of the body mounts on my first build...did you look thru that thread? Link is in the first post on this thread.

When the body comes off this truck, I'll get some pics of all the stuff under it.

I think I had some pretty good pics of the body mounts on my first build...did you look thru that thread? Link is in the first post on this thread.

When the body comes off this truck, I'll get some pics of all the stuff under it.
Yes and have it bookmarked for reference. Would you do it the same way again? Did you mount the rear of the cab at the same location of the mount on 80?

Yes and have it bookmarked for reference. Would you do it the same way again? Did you mount the rear of the cab at the same location of the mount on 80?

Good questions.....I would do them the same I think. They're body mounts.....not really the most challenging mount I've ever done but they were certainly time consuming. As I recall, 2 of them lined up...pretty sure that was the rear cab ones. I'll have to go back and look at the pics from #1 to see.

I do remember having a local sheetmetal place bend up our brackets out of the right thickness material...then my guy notched them/plated them to fit where they needed to go. We had a ton of hours in those....they look and work great.

Between not having to stretch this truck, not having to do all the mounts and not having to do crazy wiring....this thing should come together fairly quickly.

You're lucky that you don't have to spend time and resources "de-Proffitt-izing" your Ute. Hopefully the project will proceed smoothly.

You're lucky that you don't have to spend time and resources "de-Proffitt-izing" your Ute. Hopefully the project will proceed smoothly.

I would not have bought it if it was a fully built truck. I spend enough time fixing other shops crap work. Plus paying for someone to do what my guys do and do it the way I want it done isn't that smart. This one had a lot of the time consuming part of the build done(frame) and had some extra parts. As it turns out, the extra parts basically sucked which I'll document in some of the future posts. Kind of a disappointment. I could make them work but some other doors opened for some other parts and I went that route.

Now that I have a 40' shipping container on site for my Land Cruiser parts, they'll get tucked away for a future build. Maybe even wall art.

Once we made some space, we started getting the stuff out of the crate. Lots of stuff was in there. Most of it not so good. This one seemed to be missing some of the stuff my other truck had....I would imagine they got lost in the shuffle or they found their way into another person's truck. This truck was started in 12.....not sure when it was abandoned but I think it's probably been sitting for a good bit.

Crappy old dash...but all the pieces are there. Easier than build #1.....no dash on that one.

All kinds of misc. stuff....that rusty box was the start of a fuel tank.

The $800 rusty box for fuel that came with the truck......not sure what I'll do with it. Currently it's 'on display' near our dumpster. Didn't even want to spend any time trying to make it work. Far easier to buy a new OEM take-out unit that fits the body as Toyota intended. I think this was going to fit where the OEM tank goes....kind of has that shape.

Where did this come from?

You know who had it......this was before the resurrection obviously.

It bounced around from the guy who initially paid for the build, then to another guy who bought the project, then to me. Not sure why it wasn't finished by the customer. Might not have been his choice to not have it finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom