Builds A simple Troopy build thread.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got this cool piece installed.....need to figure out how we will mount the license plate. Another one of the oddities of this truck and its doors. There were a bunch of random holes drilled in it for different plates. We'll do a bracket I think.
View attachment 2259455

I had the same problem with random holes... but I did have two with captured nuts for the license plate. Nothing on yours in that regard?

I had the same problem with random holes... but I did have two with captured nuts for the license plate. Nothing on yours in that regard?

We had steel rivets holding the plate on but there was a mess under it as I recall. Should have bought new doors when I look at these old pics. They were so messed up.

I think I'll just do some well nuts or something. Easy.

20190705_150254.jpg

This is what dreams are made of.

I wish I can send my rig to you for the spectrum treatment
Total DIY product if you've got the time to do it.....very very satisfying stuff to use....easy to apply, easy to cleanup. It's turned into a big part of each of our builds on not only the trucks but the cars we do for customers.

Brought the Dobinsons bumpers out of their storage space and into the shop....ended up with the Dobinsons rear bumper/tire carrier and their old school style front bumper for this truck. I seem to recall them not being 100% sure about the rear fit...

Most of the rear lined up....couple of the lower holes didn't but that isn't a huge deal. We'll have to mod the tail pipe to dump it out before the bumper as there is a side mount/bracket that will interfere with the exhaust. The exhaust keeps the good ol' Middle East way of fixing things so it won't be a big loss.

Really nice piece. The inner white LED are dual lights...amber for turn and white for reverse. Outers are park and brake.
20200406_082714_1.jpg
20200406_082723_1.jpg

Lots of bits and pieces to make this thing fit.

20200406_090820_1.jpg

Did a little aligning to get the 'wing' to match up with the stripes/rocker line. Got it pretty close....If I tip I down any more, the rear vertical surface gets a little weird looking. I think these were for wagons...not really Troopys. Seems like I remember the guys at Dobinsons saying that.

These bumpers run a tire carrier obviously and then a swing out on the left side for jerry cans....I don't think I'll run the jerry can side.....it interferes too much with opening and closing the rear door. Even the tire carrier becomes a bit of a pain...especially if we use this for a shop truck.
20200406_173703.jpg

Last edited:
Front was easy....unfortunately no pics of the winch going on. I put a 10k Smitybilt on it with a synthetic rope....it's a wireless waterproof unit that I got for cheap. It does need an offset fairlead though to fit this bumper. The 79 has one on it that I may end up using.....so I ordered a Factor55 offset hawse fairlead. Will decide if I want that to go on the 79 or not when it comes in. Nice piece but I like the roller setup on the 79.

20200406_131958_1.jpg

I really like the way this bar looks....simple.

20200406_173640.jpg

Popped these on.....we had Raptor lined them a while back. The front and rear caps are really in bad shape...I'll hit those with Raptor when we spray the rear aluminum diamond plate step on the rear bumper. We did this on an 80 and it looked really cool in black. I'm sure we will build some sliders at some point for this thing.

20200406_173652.jpg

Found out that Partsouq is down for 2 weeks....so nothing goes out. Was hoping to get the rear window runs in so we could finish them up and install. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit. Plenty to do so no biggie.

Looking better and better every day.
20200406_174113.jpg

Found out that Partsouq is down for 2 weeks....so nothing goes out. Was hoping to get the rear window runs in so we could finish them up and install. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit. Plenty to do so no biggie.

Looking better and better every day.
View attachment 2263309
I absolutely love the look. The colour of the stripes pops so well against the more neutral paint.
I’d look at 79 running boards if you can. I hate the short length of the boards on the Troopy and think the longer ones from the 79 really finish it off.
I’m just having sliders made for mine which are the full length of the sills.

Looks fantastic. I got the same message from Partsouq yesterday. You can still get the rubber end caps for those running boards. I bought a spare set for my 75....just in case.

There will definitely be some withdrawals going on with no Partsouq orders coming in :(

I absolutely love the look. The colour of the stripes pops so well against the more neutral paint.
I’d look at 79 running boards if you can. I hate the short length of the boards on the Troopy and think the longer ones from the 79 really finish it off.
I’m just having sliders made for mine which are the full length of the sills.
Ah....good idea on the 79 boards. They're long for sure. I think we'll be building our own steps/sliders....we'll have to relocate the exhaust first but that's no big deal. Probably will need a new one anyways at the rate we're going with this truck.

Brought in a big sheet of shiny aluminum....so shiny in fact I can see 3 Land Cruisers...and a dog.
20200408_110506.jpeg

Brought in these horrible fesh fesh laden interior panels. Didn't think I would ever have to bring these in the shop...was hoping I never had to bring these back in the shop.

20200408_091205.jpeg
20200408_091236.jpeg
20200408_093600.jpeg

Carefully laid it all out and made some patterns....
20200408_140927.jpeg

Little did this guy know he was going to be spending a day with a jigsaw cutting 1/8" aluminum outside. Bet I didn't know I was going to take over the job for some reason. Kind of enjoyed wearing ear muffs AND social distancing. Very peaceful.
20200408_131503.jpeg

At some point we made a run to the fastener store and picked up M6 riv-nuts, nylon washers, stainless screws.

20200408_112001.jpeg

First panel in....all good.

20200408_163346.jpeg

2nd panel in.....needs some love. We need to do a little trimming on the bottom of this one. Need to make some openings for the vent on the body. Need to come up with a nice way to cover up the gaps between the 2 panels too. Have a good idea for that....

20200408_173404.jpeg

There’s cad drawings available of all of these interior panels on the Troop Carriers of Australia Facebook page.

Go throw those old ones back out!

There’s cad drawings available of all of these interior panels on the Troop Carriers of Australia Facebook page.

Go throw those old ones back out!
I had the CAD drawings but our guys who do that work for us must be closed due to the corona. All this stuff is great practice and skill building for the younger guy in the shop. If he sticks around, he'll be doing plenty of metal work.....fabrication, finishing work, etc.....might as well learn on a project that isn't as critical/important as some of the other stuff we do.

Those old ones are 1 step away from the dumpster. Looking very forward to being able to toss all of the old stuff out.

Nicely done Chris. Such a nice shop with great attention to detail. If you need someone to mop up the floors in a couple of years and gawk at the rides, I'll be very cheap.😁

We clean every day from top to bottom so we ALWAYS have room for help :)

Nicely done Chris. Such a nice shop with great attention to detail. If you need someone to mop up the floors in a couple of years and gawk at the rides, I'll be very cheap.😁

I can personally attest that Chris has the cleanest shop I have ever set foot into. I thought I might need to take my shoes off at the door. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom