Builds A Washington Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker, and with a fleet that includes a 40, 80, and 200, I thought I should start a build/progression thread for the Troopy we added to the fleet this week. It’s a ‘94 HZJ75-RV, and has the 1hz that is allegedly bombproof. I hope so because this arrived with 469k km on the clock. Not sure the plans for it quite yet other than enjoy it. We have a Power Wagon with a GFC so we may not go the poptop route and long-term camping option with this one, but we shall see!

316C4783-4D89-44CA-9B6F-9603E30FDB87.jpeg

34F0C734-F04E-49A4-8E88-A2D71F123DBD.jpeg

4ECD1EE1-10C8-45F8-ADFD-0CD21B685A11.jpeg

First order of business was new wheels and tires to replace the sad bald ones on 15” wheels. I’d like to take this on our upcoming Baja trip and feel more comfortable with availability of tires for 16” wheels. Had these sitting at home for a couple weeks before I could pick the Troopy up from the port. Fifteen52 Analog with 285/75/16 Falken Wildpeak M/Ts. The dogs and our newborn were lots of help!

C2F0BD9D-ED88-459F-8152-C01577189DD3.jpeg

2DE0CA34-AC18-4C13-9AAB-47D5AED7C13E.jpeg

Nice find. Is the 'RV' just an Australia specific model? I've never seen a LHD RV.

Is your Power Wagon a new one or old one? I grew up bouncing around in the back of a 1972 crew cab Power Wagon.

Nice find. Is the 'RV' just an Australia specific model? I've never seen a LHD RV.

Is your Power Wagon a new one or old one? I grew up bouncing around in the back of a 1972 crew cab Power Wagon.
Love the old ones! I’ve also never seen an LHD RV version. PW is a newer one. Would take a lot of upgrades to Troopy to convince the wife to take that it on longer trips instead of this.

FD4B5BCE-FFB8-4FF8-91A3-71AA44C98802.jpeg

Very nice. I just picked this up this 89. So far have just swapped out the split rims with Fifteen52s and 33 inch tires. It's LHD out of the Middle East with a 3F and H55F. I've got a 1HZ, tranny and tcase for it, and working on collecting the rest of the parts for a conversion. Great to know another local troopy guy - I'm up by Issaquah.

IMG_4804.JPEG

Very nice. I just picked this up this 89. So far have just swapped out the split rims with Fifteen52s and 33 inch tires. It's LHD out of the Middle East with a 3F and H55F. I've got a 1HZ, tranny and tcase for it, and working on collecting the rest of the parts for a conversion. Great to know another local troopy guy - I'm up by Issaquah.

View attachment 3356109
Awesome! Did you import it or find it stateside? What are your plans for it? We’re in Snohomish so just down the road from ya.

It had recently been imported when I got it. I'm not planning on a pop top or anything like that. I've got a 70 series Kaymar rear bumper that I was going to adapt for an FJ55 that I will instead put it, and picked up an old school Aussie bull bar I'll put on it. Otherwise, nothing crazy. I do need to start a build thread for it.

Awesome! Did you import it or find it stateside? What are your plans for it? We’re in Snohomish so just down the road from ya.

Well then welcome to the neighborhood (Everett here). You should bring the Troopy to a Seattle Cruiserheads meeting or a Northsound, if you haven't already. I need more 70 people to talk to and more fly fishers too, haha. (I noticed the rod carrier on the Power Wagon).

Well then welcome to the neighborhood (Everett here). You should bring the Troopy to a Seattle Cruiserheads meeting or a Northsound, if you havent already. I need more 70 people to talk to and more fly fishers too, haha. (I noticed the rod carrier on the Power Wagon).
Ah yes! Hoping to make the next meeting. We plan lots of our trips around good fly fishing spots. I have some great spots off hwy2 if you want to go one day!

Ah yes! Hoping to make the next meeting. We plan lots of our trips around good fly fishing spots. I have some great spots off hwy2 if you want to go one day!

That sounds awesome on both. We can discuss spots, there are some nice thin blue lines up off Highway 2 and the Mountain Loop, conveniently also great places to explore some forest service roads too.

Not much new the last couple days, but got a replacement handle from the Toyota dealer to replace the old beat up one! An oil change is on the schedule for this weekend as well.

B84DA2D8-D3A0-484B-AD0F-CFC049F0245E.jpeg

I realize this one is RHD. I've always assumed the RV is a marketing spec., Recreation Vehicle, with the tire-tread graphic and 'RV' on the side. I've only seen that on Australian Troopies.

ohh gotcha,,, yeah i dunno, but your prolly right on the graffics

as far as Toyota is concerned, R is RHD and V is 2door van, hence my confusion.

i'll hazard a guess his is an HZJ75RV-MRQ

Last edited:
I realize this one is RHD. I've always assumed the RV is a marketing spec., Recreation Vehicle, with the tire-tread graphic and 'RV' on the side. I've only seen that on Australian Troopies.

Hello,

The Land Cruiser RV stripes appear to be a market-specific thing.

Just like the elaborate side stripes on Middle East Spec Cruisers.

RV is a funny coincidence.

Juan

Took a few longer cruises this weekend for the first time, and immediately was having visibility issues. Went ahead and ordered these out of Japan. The mirrors on it now are about half the height and vibrate like crazy.

BF729E13-ABB5-4DF4-A7C0-CC3367AAFEC5.png

Hello,

There is nothing like elephant ear mirrors, as these are sometimes called.

Juan

Hello,

There is nothing like elephant ear mirrors, as these are sometimes called.

Juan
I’m sure they’re a lot better than what is on it now! Constantly adjusting my head and body to check around haha

woohoo! Another troopy in Western WA. :D Great looking rig. Hopefully you can make one of the cruiserhead meetings sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom