Builds A Washington Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woohoo! Another troopy in Western WA. :D Great looking rig. Hopefully you can make one of the cruiserhead meetings sometime.
Yes we want to make the next one! You have one too? Where ya located?

Yes we want to make the next one! You have one too? Where ya located?
No, I wish! I just know that there is at least one other troopy in the area. :) I am up in Seattle (not far from UW).

Last edited:
Troopy leaked a bunch of coolant from an unknown spot in the radiator the day we got it, but randomly stopped so a replacement was high on the list to get done. A call to my Toyota dealer and they had one in 2 days. The replacement hoses and thermostat were ordered from @cruiseroutfit. I though the old hose clamps would be weak and worn out but they are very strong still.

FYI, in the radiators I have replaced in the past you simply loosen the drain plug and coolant will come out of a hole in the bottom. This radiator was aftermarket and upon loosening it coolant sprayed in a cone pattern all around the underside. Make sure to wait until it is completely cool before you start or your lips will taste like antifreeze the rest of the day 😂

5FD6A8B6-4733-4D37-9E55-F12E06E8CBE5.jpeg

7FD46587-AE4E-4DB8-87BC-9B03C252D55B.jpeg

2394C186-74A2-49A2-A64C-43B9D3DD3464.jpeg

Awesome! Did you import it or find it stateside? What are your plans for it? We’re in Snohomish so just down the road from ya.

Well then welcome to the neighborhood (Everett here). You should bring the Troopy to a Seattle Cruiserheads meeting or a Northsound, if you haven't already. I need more 70 people to talk to and more fly fishers too, haha. (I noticed the rod carrier on the Power Wagon).

100 Series guy passing through hoping to pick a 70 Series up in the near future. Im right in Downtown Snohomish! 👋

What is a Seattle Cruiserheads meeting?

100 Series guy passing through hoping to pick a 70 Series up in the near future. Im right in Downtown Snohomish! 👋

What is a Seattle Cruiserheads meeting?
Every second Tuesday of the month there is a Land Cruiser owner's meeting that bounces around the Seattle area. North, South , East. There is also a North Sound Cruisers group. People attend both or just one depending on location. They both have facebook groups, go check them out. Great group of people with the full range of cruisers. :)

Every second Tuesday of the month there is a Land Cruiser owner's meeting that bounces around the Seattle area. North, South , East. There is also a North Sound Cruisers group. People attend both or just one depending on location. They both have facebook groups, go check them out. Great group of people with the full range of cruisers. :)

Awesome I will have to check that out! Nice to meet a few like minded folks

Huh...and here I was, thinking that I moved clear across the country and still didn't have any other 70-owners around. I'm down in Lacey/Olympia; good to know that there are some others in the area!

Waiting for some parts in the mail so an oil change in the meantime will have to do!

Car came with baked in smoke smell from the previous owner. Done lots of Ozium spay, have been leaving the doors open most days, Clorox wipe all the plastic bits, and have shampooed the seats and fabric on the door panels. Smell is much better but still lingering. Any suggestions before I take it to a professional shop?

7ADE5D59-8FD1-423D-B935-A61CF9FF8264.jpeg

98E5489B-D4F0-4146-9616-AAB1BB01367F.jpeg

Been there and done that with lingering odors, especially cigarette smoke. I had better success with steam cleaning than anything else, but you're likely better off to have it professionally cleaned. Yes, it does cost a bit...but I haven't seen many at-home methods deal with smoke, long-term. It always seems to come back.

Dash cam and backup camera installed. Install took about 45 minutes and it makes a huge difference! Has built in GPS that shows the speed you’re going which helps those of us with KM gauges.

C3ECE924-CEB9-4FBC-B85E-E8CB6D90976F.jpeg

Dash cam and backup camera installed. Install took about 45 minutes and it makes a huge difference! Has built in GPS that shows the speed you’re going which helps those of us with KM gauges.

View attachment 3369290
Your troopy goes fast enough you need to worry about your speed?!

Can you share how you routed/wired this up? I've got a similar mod to install on mine.

Hey Jaco, very nice Troopy. I noted that there was no sticker on the engine showing when the timing belt was changed. The 1HZ is an interference engine. Can I suggest that absent iron-clad info on when the timing belt was changed that you pause and do that. Terrain Tamer makes a very nice all-in kit that includes a fresh metal impeller water pump, oil pump, timing belt and idler.

I've got a 1HZ 105 with the same mileage on it that obviously sat in the desert for years and various rubber bits are disintegrating. I have laid it up until I can get the critical timing belt replacement done. Same situation, no tag and no information on the last timing belt change.

Best wishes for your new adventure vehicle!

I like the larger mirror, but I think the split view would mess with me. I've considered swapping in a dash camera and an aftermarket mirror of some sort in order to get a wider view behind me, but I never really thought about having the speed displayed in the mirror. I just did the .6 math in my head until I had it all somewhat memorized; your method would have been easier. 🤔

Hey Jaco, very nice Troopy. I noted that there was no sticker on the engine showing when the timing belt was changed. The 1HZ is an interference engine. Can I suggest that absent iron-clad info on when the timing belt was changed that you pause and do that. Terrain Tamer makes a very nice all-in kit that includes a fresh metal impeller water pump, oil pump, timing belt and idler.

I've got a 1HZ 105 with the same mileage on it that obviously sat in the desert for years and various rubber bits are disintegrating. I have laid it up until I can get the critical timing belt replacement done. Same situation, no tag and no information on the last timing belt change.

Best wishes for your new adventure vehicle!
Appreciate it, it’s high on the list! Mine has a timing belt light. Does that come on when a sensor indicates it is worn or is it simply mileage based?

I like the larger mirror, but I think the split view would mess with me. I've considered swapping in a dash camera and an aftermarket mirror of some sort in order to get a wider view behind me, but I never really thought about having the speed displayed in the mirror. I just did the .6 math in my head until I had it all somewhat memorized; your method would have been easier. 🤔
You can switch it to front only, rear only, or split! When the truck turns on it automatically defaults to rear view only.

Your troopy goes fast enough you need to worry about your speed?!

Can you share how you routed/wired this up? I've got a similar mod to install on mine.
Sure! I was lucky to get mine with the overhead shelf as that helps tidy it up a lot. Backup camera wire goes from the mirror and up into the storage shelf, then I tucked the wire into the channel along the ceiling then simply out the back door opening (blue painters tape in the pic has since been replaced with black duct tape haha). The GPS wire and power cable are ran with loom on the left side of the windshield. GPS sensor is stuck on the dash, and power cable is ram under the dash and to the cigarette plug for now until I hard wire it.

84D97C2E-DBC2-4F7C-848C-9C7890892DFC.jpeg

C132351A-E6C7-4D50-88B6-5682D7C27C1E.jpeg

3437BD8E-12D6-4541-BB6B-59904062A794.jpeg

E4BC6FE1-D098-4646-94BB-2F8486B3A0EF.jpeg

8AD79EC9-BB22-40E8-8F67-8233263D7BBF.jpeg

60F2688A-C5C9-413E-9A5D-34199EF3C13D.jpeg

Did another little project over the weekend. Had a Flatlink E from an old project and a Warn hawse fairlead so I ordered up some synthetic rope and cleaned up the front end a bit. Before and after.

3FC2A8EA-48D7-4E6D-A0FE-A8311BAE0149.jpeg

6EACB039-C0B3-444D-B9C3-A3B1EA8DA2C7.jpeg

Appreciate it, it’s high on the list! Mine has a timing belt light. Does that come on when a sensor indicates it is worn or is it simply mileage based?
There is nothing active about that little light. Assuming that it's working which you need to be a little bit suspicious of, it's trivial to reset. And a seller might very well have just reset the light without doing the work.

Took some pics of the timing belt and components and it looks pretty good. No cracks/fraying and it feels pretty tight. Thoughts?

57936D5E-DE3E-48B3-ABB4-773043BCD9C8.jpeg

03D37703-9D3D-4855-AD92-F71FAF38F82B.jpeg

486F3C5D-2C05-4E26-A4C3-843DD59BD82E.jpeg

967FC8A9-4B29-4128-81D4-84052E82DDFA.jpeg

E4AD800C-4D08-4768-B4C8-E492720E9E2D.jpeg

89441EE1-302D-47CA-BD34-77EDB312676D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom