Builds A simple Troopy build thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

c2dfj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.c2dusa.com
Figured I'd better get build thread going on this one...it's moving WAY faster than I planned. We all like pics and fortunately, I take far too many. So I think this one is going to be super pic heavy......it won't be technical, it won't be a super cool pop top Alu-cab truck. Just a beat down old FZJ75 getting some much needed love.

Oman truck....bought it from a guy that imported it here. It's a 1992 FZJ75.....1FZ-F motor, H150 trans, LHD, AC....all things I wanted. Supposedly used as a school bus for little kids. Probably a common story over there. Like the one here about cars only being used by little old ladies to go to church on Sunday.

Looked good in the pics. Seller sent me lots of videos of the body with a magnet...no rust. That was my primary reason for buying. I hate rust. I hate rust repair. I don't want to deal with it.

Here she is in all her glory. Note the super cool roof rack rails and rear spoiler. Downforce.

IMG-20190422-WA0030 (1).jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0025.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190422-WA0027.jpg

The interior was certainly beat down but I have a bunch of leftovers from other builds and most all of these parts are reasonable. I wasn't quite prepared for how beat down it was.

Look at all the things going on in here......some dudes face on the steering wheel.....80s hair band spandex patterned covers ON ALL SEATS.....fancy wood steering wheel cover with matching shift knob. Not even sure what the fur cover thing is. Sagging headliner. Misc. wires, switches, etc. Sweet.
IMG-20190422-WA0118.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0116 (2).jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0109 (2).jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0101.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0088.jpg

I'm sure many people got a good laugh out of the fact that someone would pay good money for this. Lol. Maybe still laughing.
IMG-20190422-WA0110.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0102.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0104.jpg

The key part of this purchase was the lack of rust.....seller pulled rear panels and took lots of pics under the truck. All looked really tight. Dirty but clean and straight.

IMG-20190422-WA0097.jpg
IMG-20190501-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20190503-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0099.jpg
IMG-20190503-WA0026.jpg

Nothing to see here but dirt....

IMG-20190422-WA0058.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0066.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0078.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0079.jpg

1FZ-F motor......this intrigued me. The seller had several inbound 3F trucks but I really like the 1FZ and to have one backed by a 5 speed seemed perfect. The simplicity of it.....being a carb motor, no computer, minimal wiring......appealed to me as well.

Seller claimed the missing belt was the cause of the AC not working......suuuuuuuure.

IMG-20190422-WA0034.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0038.jpg
IMG-20190422-WA0041.jpg

Seller was about 15 minutes from the guy I use for all my shipping out in LA. I had purchased a 1967 FJ45LV about an hour away from my shipper so they both were able to be brought to him to wait for a truck to show up and drag them all the way to FL. My shipper has brought me a lot of Land Cruisers....his comment on the Troopy was, "so......at least it seems to start pretty well". Ha.

The 45LV was a great find......it's a really cool old truck. VERY complete....just in boxes. Rust is minimal. Great trucks....and oh so rare. Complete opposite of the Troopy that you can completely rebuild with new parts. Very little exists for these relics.

5813017511.jpg
IMG_44201.jpg
Resized_20190601_165847_1.jpg
Resized_20190601_165903 (1).jpg

Waited about 2 weeks to find a truck. Since the 45 didn't run and couldn't be steered.....we had to wait for the right guy. Found a guy headed to Miami. 3 weeks after they were dropped off....they arrived. By far the best thing on this truck!

20190624_120411_HDR_2.jpg
20190624_122200_HDR_1.jpg

The interior was certainly beat down but I have a bunch of leftovers from other builds and most all of these parts are reasonable. I wasn't quite prepared for how beat down it was.

Look at all the things going on in here......some dudes face on the steering wheel.....80s hair band spandex patterned covers ON ALL SEATS.....fancy wood steering wheel cover with matching shift knob. Not even sure what the fur cover thing is. Sagging headliner. Misc. wires, switches, etc. Sweet.
View attachment 2037941View attachment 2037939View attachment 2037940View attachment 2037938View attachment 2037937
That steering wheel cracks me up. The steering wheel cover isn’t even close to being on straight.

Seller claimed the missing belt was the cause of the AC not working......suuuuuuuure.

It ran when I parked it....15 years ago...
Hey my A/C is missing a belt too! I bet it works if I put a belt on!!! 🤣

My AC clutch is sticky so I know at least that part is bad or needs cleaned. I'm REALLY hoping thats it, but in my mind I'm prepared for a new compressor/etc.

Those seat covers...

_B0Z3643_800-Small.jpg

That steering wheel cracks me up. The steering wheel cover isn’t even close to being on straight.
RIGHT.....lol. Nothing in this truck is straight.

It ran when I parked it....15 years ago...
Hey my A/C is missing a belt too! I bet it works if I put a belt on!!! 🤣

My AC clutch is sticky so I know at least that part is bad or needs cleaned. I'm REALLY hoping thats it, but in my mind I'm prepared for a new compressor/etc.

Those seat covers...

_B0Z3643_800-Small.jpg
YES.....seat covers for sure!

The guy showed me in a video that the "AC" was working "nice"......than when he was doing a video of the motor, the belt was missing and he pointed that out as to why the AC wasn't working. Lol.

Supposedly used as a school bus for little kids. Probably a common story over there. Like the one here about cars only being used by little old ladies to go to church on Sunday.

The school bus story is actually, probably, true. And once you’ve seen the roads and terrain in Oman you'd understand that this is no easy Sunday driving... it’s a job for a Land Crusier not a Hiace. These, and the 45 Troopies before them, are used across the Middle East as remote school buses and/or small work crew transport.

The “little old lady” story in the Middle East is “single owner lady expat”.

The school bus story is actually, probably, true. And once you’ve seen the roads and terrain in Oman you'd understand that this is no easy Sunday driving... it’s a job for a Land Crusier not a Hiace. These, and the 45 Troopies before them, are used across the Middle East as remote school buses and/or small work crew transport.

The “little old lady” story in the Middle East is “single owner lady expat”.
I don't doubt for one bit that this truck lived a severe duty life. I can see by how much things wore out from rattling around..like door strikers that were worn out. It's pretty amazing. Shockingly though....it drives insanely smooth.

I would venture a guess that this truck was probably military(we're finding lots of tan paint on the frame and under the grey paint)....then maybe put into civilian use.

I bet it's never seen a lot of time on a paved road either.

I enjoy reading build threads and yours are some of my favorites to read. I guess I should start one but I fear that I will not keep it up with pictures and updates.

Can't wait to see what this troopy turns into.

I enjoy reading build threads and yours are some of my favorites to read. I guess I should start one but I fear that I will not keep it up with pictures and updates.

Can't wait to see what this troopy turns into.

Thanks and hopefully this Troopy project will be of interest.

Nice score, Chris!!!!!!

Well....not so sure about a score. The Troopy and I haven't quite bonded as much as I had hoped yet. Ha.

The guy on the steering wheel looks like Omar Sharif of Dr Zhivago.

Carry on sir.

Would love to know who the guy is. Lol. Maybe I'll have the sticker recreated and put it somewhere else. I kind of feel like it belongs somewhere in the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom