Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha....I just pulled a gallon out to spray the back of the cab while we have the bed off. You'll enjoy working with that product...it's good stuff. Are you going to put down any Damplifier Pro first?

I wasn’t planning on it.

Their site describes the Spectrum as being able to suffice in lieu of, or in addition to, the mat products. So I figured I’d go with this only.

I like the serviceability of this being a paint on product. It’s also cheaper per SF, at 2mm of thickness, than the damplifier pro.

I figure if I don’t think it’s done quite a good enough job then I’ll just paint on another layer.

Bad idea? Further thoughts?

I wasn’t planning on it.

Their site describes the Spectrum as being able to suffice in lieu of, or in addition to, the mat products. So I figured I’d go with this only.

I like the serviceability of this being a paint on product. It’s also cheaper per SF, at 2mm of thickness, than the damplifier pro.

I figure if I don’t think it’s done quite a good enough job then I’ll just paint on another layer.

Bad idea? Further thoughts?

I was really happy with the Damplifier Pro then the Spectrum on the top. The floor is solid and really uniform. I think we did pretty full coverage on the floor with Damplifiier. I did the doors about 70% with Damplifier and then sprayed in my Spectrum....they're like knocking on a wall with drywall on it. Solid.

I am using vinyl flooring on my truck so that kind of changes things if you're looking for uniformity....on the Troopy....we may just run a bedliner for the flooring...no vinyl. If we do that, we'll just use Spectrum and no Damplifier so it really looks uniform.

I think I'd do some Damplifier under the seat areas.... trans tunnel.....for sure in the doors(1 sheet or so per) and then in the rear body panels. If you are running vinyl floors, do your floor boards. Then I'd come in with my Spectrum. I think you'll find that it's easier to build on top of that Damplifier vs trying to get to 3mm(which is what they told me) with Spectrum on it's own.

For the rear cargo area, I'd use a thick rubber mat on top of just the Spectrum or under an OEM vinyl floor mat...if that's the way you're going...no Damplifier. The Spectrum should be really good at helping to quiet those panels.

We used their thickening agent(what Sludge is) and rolled it in the doors I think. Rolling it allows you to really get down some build layers....spraying it seems to take a while to build up.

Are you doing the roof?

I exchanged a bunch of emails with Eric at Second Skin. It seems 3mm of Spectrum is equal to a layer of Damplifier Pro. I bought 7 gallons of Spectrum (yes, SEVEN). Plan is for exterior (undercarriage to the firewall lip) getting a layer and interior/sides/doors up the firewall getting another. All on top of the epoxy primer. Possibly a coat of paint over top depending on how/if the body shop wants to do it. Then Luxury Liner Pro on top.

My total shipment weight was 205 pounds. Not light but not extremely awful considering the benefits. I'm sure 400hp/400tq will move it fine.

Should be at least as quiet as a 200, if not moreso. 😎

I was really happy with the Damplifier Pro then the Spectrum on the top. The floor is solid and really uniform. I think we did pretty full coverage on the floor with Damplifiier. I did the doors about 70% with Damplifier and then sprayed in my Spectrum....they're like knocking on a wall with drywall on it. Solid.

I am using vinyl flooring on my truck so that kind of changes things if you're looking for uniformity....on the Troopy....we may just run a bedliner for the flooring...no vinyl. If we do that, we'll just use Spectrum and no Damplifier so it really looks uniform.

I think I'd do some Damplifier under the seat areas.... trans tunnel.....for sure in the doors(1 sheet or so per) and then in the rear body panels. If you are running vinyl floors, do your floor boards. Then I'd come in with my Spectrum. I think you'll find that it's easier to build on top of that Damplifier vs trying to get to 3mm(which is what they told me) with Spectrum on it's own.

For the rear cargo area, I'd use a thick rubber mat on top of just the Spectrum or under an OEM vinyl floor mat...if that's the way you're going...no Damplifier. The Spectrum should be really good at helping to quiet those panels.

We used their thickening agent(what Sludge is) and rolled it in the doors I think. Rolling it allows you to really get down some build layers....spraying it seems to take a while to build up.

Are you doing the roof?

I bought two gallons of the Spectrum... and my plan for this initial batch was the rear body panels. Now you got me thinking about some Damplifier first. IF I had some leftover I was going to move on to the floor. And yeah, my plan was Spectrum and then the rubber mat I've got in there already. That lets me remove the mat for vacuuming/cleaning in the future. Rear cargo area will be getting a wood deck build to strap in the fridge and other items, so the Spectrum under that will be good to.

Not sure what I'm doing on the roof yet. But I'm pretty sure I don't want to hassle with a proper headliner. It just makes sense to put the Spectrum up there too...

I'm planning on rolling all of it on. I don't have a spray gun nor the appropriate moisture removing equipment for my air compressor yet.

Hmmm... Damplifier...

I exchanged a bunch of emails with Eric at Second Skin. It seems 3mm of Spectrum is equal to a layer of Damplifier Pro. I bought 7 gallons of Spectrum (yes, SEVEN). Plan is for exterior (undercarriage to the firewall lip) getting a layer and interior/sides/doors up the firewall getting another. All on top of the epoxy primer. Possibly a coat of paint over top depending on how/if the body shop wants to do it. Then Luxury Liner Pro on top.

My total shipment weight was 205 pounds. Not light but not extremely awful considering the benefits. I'm sure 400hp/400tq will move it fine.

Should be at least as quiet as a 200, if not moreso. 😎

So you're doing Spectrum only with the Luxury Liner Pro on top? No Damplifier?

I bought two gallons of the Spectrum... and my plan for this initial batch was the rear body panels. Now you got me thinking about some Damplifier first. IF I had some leftover I was going to move on to the floor. And yeah, my plan was Spectrum and then the rubber mat I've got in there already. That lets me remove the mat for vacuuming/cleaning in the future. Rear cargo area will be getting a wood deck build to strap in the fridge and other items, so the Spectrum under that will be good to.

Not sure what I'm doing on the roof yet. But I'm pretty sure I don't want to hassle with a proper headliner. It just makes sense to put the Spectrum up there too...

I'm planning on rolling all of it on. I don't have a spray gun nor the appropriate moisture removing equipment for my air compressor yet.

Hmmm... Damplifier...

Rolling it on actually works really well. Get a couple different rollers (small ones...3" or whatever they are) and play around with texture. We used a combo of a brush and roller for the underside of my truck(new body so perfectly clean sheet metal....easy to prep and apply the Spectrum). The brush works really well for it.

2 gallons won't go far in a Troopy if you're getting it to the 2-3mm thickness. TonyP has the right idea with 7 I think.

The Damplifier is quick and easy to install on clean floors...just remember to treat any surface rust or bare metal areas with something like the Master Series coating. I wouldn't want untreated rust trapped under the Dampifier. The beauty of just using Spectrum is that you save weight. Damplifier is heavy. Not a huge deal on the floors of a truck. In our customer performance cars, we minimize the Damplifier(installed in areas where the floors really need it) and then use more Spectrum. Trying to avoid excess weight.

We will be using Spectrum on the roof of my Troopy once it's out of body shop prison....then we'll use a really cool product I found for the headliner. I'll post that up once we get to it on my truck. I have found several different options..not sure which one we are going to use.

I would concentrate my Damplifier on the floors, trans tunnel and under seats. I'd do a few pieces in the doors and then in the rear body panels. Then I'd come in with the Spectrum on top of all of that and of course anywhere there is bare metal(rear floors, roof, etc.), Spectrum.

Is there a negative to damplifier over the spectrum? Some reason hate the idea of painting over stick on panels. I feel like it makes me revert to the concept of just sucking it up and doing some liner bc then I feel okay about washing it out with a hose. Ultimately, is this any more reversible than a spray in liner?

I'd imagine it's just as "permanent" as bedliner. At least I figure it'd be a bear to remove. But if you're gonna put something down why not have something designed for thermal and acoustic insulation? And the Spectrum is billed as being suitable for an undercoating and wheel well liner... as long as you're not doing heavy gravel roads all the time. Then you'd want a liner over the Spectrum. That's what it sounds like @c2dfj45 is doing in the floor of his Troopy.

Like you I'm a bit dubious about putting Spectrum over the stick on panels... but rationally it shouldn't make a difference. The stick-on butyl panels would be a pain to ever remove. The Spectrum would be a pain to ever remove. Liner would be a pain to ever remove. Six of one... half a dozen of the other. May as well have the insulating properties and no reason not to "double up" the materials.

Last edited:
Simple little job done with my boy a month or so back...

Both my window regulator cranks had no handle piece.
200noknob.jpg

I thought it was cool to see "AISIN" and "TEQ" on the backside of the crank.
201removed.jpg

Of course the old brown (Sable) color interior stuff is largely NLA, so I went with the new Oak stuff.
202newoak.jpg

And installed.
204installed.jpg

Kind of a boring update. But I thought it was handy to see a comparison of the old and new brown colors, Sable and Oak.
203sidebyside.jpg

I'd imagine it's just as "permanent" as bedliner. At least I figure it'd be a bear to remove. But if you're gonna put something down why not have something designed for thermal and acoustic insulation? And the Spectrum is billed as being suitable for an undercoating and wheel well liner... as long as you're not doing heavy gravel roads all the time. Then you'd want a liner over the Spectrum. That's what it sounds like @c2dfj45 is doing in the floor of his Troopy.

Like you I'm a bit dubious about putting Spectrum over the stick on panels... but rationally it shouldn't make a different. The stick on butyl panels would be a pain to ever remove. The Spectrum would be a pain to ever remove. Liner would be a pain to ever remove. Six of one... half a dozen of the other. May as well have the insulating properties and no reason not to "double up" the materials.

I haven't decided which way I will go with Troopy....I'm not sure I want anything but bedliner on there rear floors....we'll be running a heavy rubber mat(maybe Luxury Liner Pro) from Second Skin or just some horse stall rubber. Then the OEM vinyl flooring on top of all that. Who knows, maybe we'll throw down a layer of Spectrum on it. The front floors will most likely be coated with Damplifer, then Spectrum. Would like some heat and sound insulation in that part of the cab.

I was absolutely shocked when Eric at Second Skin told me Damplifier first THEN Spectrum. Had to ask him 2x to make sure I heard correctly. Kind of went against what my brain wanted to believe. I would never want to remove any of the Damplifier or the Spectrum that we put on our clean fresh metal...it's down for good. I'm not sure it would ever come off.

I often wonder what causes automakers to spend so much time, effort, and money on interior colors of vehicles such as this. Just make a 'brown' or 'tan' interior, keep it that way, and everything would be cheaper and easier.....for Toyota and for the consumer. No one buys a 70 series because the interior is 'Sable' instead of 'Oak'. All auto makers suffer from this.

They weren’t available as options to each other... Sable preceded Oak. I think the move from Sable to Oak was a simplification thing for them... Oak is available in a lot of their trucks. It’s kind of a standard color now across the Land Cruisers.

My troopy had the ever popular Hu Shan handles. Weird color too. I'm sure they weren't concerned about color match when they went on.

20190626_170523.jpg

First time checking in on this thread, it's so awesome seeing the progress. I remember being the same age as your kid and working on my first 4x4 (87 Isuzu Trooper) with my dad and it's a time I always recall with great fondness. Keep up the great work!

My troopy had the ever popular Hu Shan handles. Weird color too. I'm sure they weren't concerned about color match when they went on.

View attachment 2150317

Huh... I've not come across a Hu Shan part yet... interesting.

First time checking in on this thread, it's so awesome seeing the progress. I remember being the same age as your kid and working on my first 4x4 (87 Isuzu Trooper) with my dad and it's a time I always recall with great fondness. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for checking it out! Doing the Cruiser's with my boys is a big part of why I do it.

I owe many thanks to @AndrewHadji... I picked up his old Eezi-Awn roof rack and Manta awning after he did the can-opener job on his Troopy roof and installed the Alucab.

We managed to sort out shipping through uShip. Interesting model they've got set up and it worked out alright. Everything was delivered in good condition. Andrew really hung with me while I sorted out how/when I was going to get it picked up and shipped. Thanks again man!

I gave the roof of the Troopy a good waxing with Griot's products and the random orbital before installing the gear. Won't have much access to the roof for awhile now.

Some shots of it installed:
209eeziawn.jpg

210awningprofile.jpg

211rackprofile.jpg

My oldest boy and his cousin helped me install the awning and we folded it out to try it out...
212awningout.jpg

213awningout.jpg

We used a simple square awning on our 80-series in the UAE... and we used it a lot. It was very handy to have and we knew an awning was in the plans for the Troopy. This 270-degree is going to work out really well for us.

On top of the roof rack I'll be mounting a few basics... Maxtrax, shovel, axe, and a solar panel. I want to keep it relatively unloaded and low profile height wise. But it sure is spacious up there. I'm sure I'll find other things to throw up there. =)

Super pumped. Thanks again Andrew!

Last edited:
I just cant express how beautiful it is to see your lovely kids work with you on your 75.
it is a pleasure to see how you have brought this baby back to life. keep up the great work.
Your 75 looks awesome.

Thanks a bunch! And yeah, the kids are big part of my cruiser fun. I don't want to do it alone.

Looks killer. Very jealous of the weather. 8 degrees here this morning.

That pic was from awhile back. We are all wearing jackets around here now. Ha!

Question for the gurus out there... @Onur or @cruiserdan perhaps...

I've been rebuilding front and rear axles... brakes, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. As part of that work I've been cleaning up various parts and repainting them. The front backing plates had air scopes for the discs. As I was cleaning all the embedded and concrete-ized fesh-fesh, one of them literally fell off. The other was very loose, so I pulled it off. Hiding behind them were huge accumulations of the fesh-fesh concrete gunk.

I cleaned up the backing plates and repainted them. How vital are these air scoops? Do I need to figure out a way to remount them? There's lot of similarities between this axle and a 40 or 60 with disks... but the scoops are new for me.

214airscoops.jpg

215backingplate.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom