What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have (or hopefully had) a leaking idle gear - shaft seal on my transfer-case.

So I ordered all the parts (sealing rings, gaskets, ...) and build a adapter for my jack, removed the drivedrain and pulled the gear, which I thought is easier, but the gearboxes somehow are designed to be removed together.
9.jpeg

Removing all the gears etc. and found out, that the idler-shaft is worn. Same thing with the little shaft which is used to engage the front axle.
4.jpg

Lucky me, there are some dealers around, which have Bandeirante-Parts on stock. Not really cheap, but at least the good manufacturers for those aftermarket parts. So new idle-shaft with new bearings and same for the little shaft for the front axle.

8.jpeg

Build everything back into place, bearing-adjustments looking good, cleaned and painted :)

5.jpg

Back on my jack and installed today.

6.jpg

To be honest, looks easier on the pictures, then it was. I cursed a lot at times, specially to get the old mud/gearoil-mix off the gearbox and to get it back in position to mount it onto the transmission. Unfortunately it's a one-man-show here.

I only found out a week after.... backfire on my project

View attachment 3379277
I did this as well.

Turns out I either ate an exhaust valve in the process or had a bad exhaust valve, plus my timing was way off.

Replaced the exhaust valve and had @Thechief86 fix my timing issue and it hasn't come back.

I did this as well.

Turns out I either ate an exhaust valve in the process or had a bad exhaust valve, plus my timing was way off.

Replaced the exhaust valve and had @Thechief86 fix my timing issue and it hasn't come back.
In my case, I set the wrong timing (at 180 degrees).
After re-installing the distributor, it started working fine.. except the exhaust stopped coming out of the pipe.. ..Hmm
I look under ... and find out why... :)

Finally pulled the tyre off my old steel split rim to change the tube (since nobody else will touch them).
Pretty well stuck on with rust, but pretty doable even on the roadside tbf.
Extra points if you know what model these rims are from!

20230720_161548.jpg

20230720_174042.jpg

20230720_174201.jpg

Rims: Jackman rims??

Edit: Oops, yours are not Jackmans.

Trying to keep the cruiser parts buying on the DL and Summit sends me a large box for a tiny gauge! Thanks a lot… instantly busted. :slap:
IMG_4192.jpeg

please post when you reassemble, I took mine apart three years ago and I forgot how the bolts and washers are arranged.
Highly recommend that while you have the seats out to add extensions to allow more leg room. Extensions for the drivers seat are available from several Mud vendors. I just made extensions for the passenger seat out of steel channel that moved the seat back 2” which is most you can do with OEM seats/brackets.

64CD8417-C7FA-4A5A-B320-5DD74FF6FDB2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom