AA Ron's FJ40 refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23

SILVER Star
Threads
I purchased my 1976 FJ40 summer of 2016. I've taken a slow approach to making it right and I'm doing what I'm calling a "refresh" not a restoration. I drive it usually on weekends mostly for fun, but there are definitely some things that need fixing.

The "refresh" is mostly because I can't afford to take it down to the frame and restore it. Also I would like to drive it and enjoy it rather than watch it sit in boxes and stored in my garage or shed in pieces. Here's a few pics when I first bought it...

0609161824a.jpg

0609161824c.jpg

0610161936.jpg

Which brings me to my next adventure in refreshing this thing... re-doing the hard top. It wasn't bad but I'm going to spray paint it the OEM sky blue with some paint bought from Cruiser Corps. It needs new rivets and some fixes for the hard top that I'm going to start with. We'll see where this goes.

IMG_20190125_200211.jpg

IMG_20190125_200243.jpg

IMG_20190125_202702.jpg

So I used a wire wheel and drill and that worked great to clean out the channel. Then used a sledge hammer and chisel to knock off the top of the rivets from the top fiberglass side. Then using a screw driver from the under side, I was able to pry the fiberglass top off and separate it from the gutter. Now I have to clean it all up and figure out how to do the rivets. Anyone have any ideas? CCOT rivets seem good but look like a PITA to put on.

I know noob mistake filming with the phone not sideways but I'll remember the next time.

Awesome cruiser! I'm also doing a slow refresh on my '76, no frame off for me either. 23 years and counting. Don't take as long as me! :cheers:

Make sure you have a heat gun ready to remove air bubbles. I’d recommend having someone run the heat while you dispense the SEM.

That’s a great tip! I didn’t do it on my top, but then again I did mine in the summertime, in Maryland.

I like white tops but it’s your rig, do what YOU want!
Yeah I guess it did sound like I was going to paint the fiberglass top white, but what I mean is I'm planning on painting the sides to match the rest with the sky blue. The top I agree I'm going to leave white.

rkymtnfkyfisher must be sending you his 2 part SEM gun. Make sure you have a heat gun ready to remove air bubbles. I’d recommend having someone run the heat while you dispense the SEM.
So would they just follow me squeezing the SEM and they are just applying heat to the SEM layer? How does the heat help this if you don't mind me asking?
Also is it something I can do like lay a line of SEM down and then go back with the heat gun?

97B549E7-3ADC-47A2-A20E-131314ED15CE.png

I didn’t have my heat gun at the ready. Bubbles started showing up. Had to scramble and get the heat gun out. Add a little heat near the bubbles and they disappear. In my case bubbles kept popping up as I was laying down the sem. I got most of the bubbles out, but missed a couple before they set up. You’ll be glad having someone on bubble duty. Being’s you have blown out fiberglass at a few of the rivet holes, I’d fill the gutter a bit more full for added rigidity. I’d guess 2 cartridges would be enough. I’ve read some just use 1 cartridge for a shmear to seal.:meh:

This is 3 cartridges worth. Probably overkill.
7CEF179B-69A2-4587-859A-54503BBAB8DB.jpeg

17AD1D33-11EC-4019-A03C-7B50CF9375FD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom