What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tested the bike rack clearance.

20191011_124846.jpg
20191011_124408.jpg
20191011_124254.jpg

D

Grinding is odd... I’ve had the fan hit the shroud, but no issues with clutch grinding off road.

I’m not sure how low your 350 will lug... but with some carb, timing, and cam tweaking I can lug down to 400 rpm.

I’m down around there - I don’t try to pull that hard down that low but I idle around 700, but it’ll keep plugging away far lower than that.

As for the clutch grinding - yeah I’m pretty sure it’s the clutch and I’m in the same boat as you are - it doesn’t make a lot of sense. I’m wondering if I’m getting rocks/mud into the bellhousing (but it’s pretty sealed off) so I’m wondering if I have a bolt backed out that’s making contact under twist. Makes me nervous.

I finished modifying my accelerator pedal and hand throttle cable for my '71 FJ40 build. Hand throttle cable assembly and bracket from @FJ40GURU and my original pedal. A while back I had cut off the lower end of an FJ62 accelerator pedal for another MUD member and I saved the top. I cut off the section with the square opening, then cut it and bent it to fit around the FJ40 pedal. Then I welded it up. I used a square white nylon screw grommet for the cable guide at the pedal.

I had to bend the throttle cable bracket up and out of the way of the '81 Toyota pickup fuse panel I had installed in the stock location. That required a short extension of the sheathed part of the hand throttle cable. I picked up a couple of steel tension pins at the local hardware store this morning - a larger diameter pin that would slip over the crimped metal end of the cable sheath and a smaller diameter pin that would slip inside the larger one. I opened up the slits in the pins with a Dremel cutoff wheel so they would slip over the cable. I slipped them over the cable and welded the smaller pin into the larger pin, then placed a small weld bead to fasten the larger pin to the crimped metal piece on the cable sheath. I finished it off with some heat shrink tubing. The smaller pin fits under the clamping part of the bracket. I dug through my parts bins and found a 5mm machine screw and nut to clamp it down.

This afternoon the mailman delivered the custom carburetor throttle cable kit from @Downey. Tomorrow I'll finish assembling the carburetor then install it with the '73 bellcrank assembly from @65swb45. I need to fabricate the rod linkage from the bellcrank to the carburetor linkage using an FJ60 rod lengthened by a steel spacer I picked up this morning at the hardware store. So another small welding job.

Once everything is hooked up and adjusted it'll be time to fire up the '76 2F that's under the hood.

Hand-Throttle-1.jpg

Hand-Throttle-2.jpg

Hand-Throttle-3.jpg

Finally got paint on the tub... Went with Cadet Blue. Huge milestone after tons of rust repair and body work.

This was my first time painting a car... the first two coats went on great with almost no orange peel... but I got some orange peel in coats 3 and 4 for some reason... I didn't change my gun settings, so I'm not sure what happened. It's a fine-textured orange peel, so it should wet sand out just fine.

Still have to paint all of the other panels, so still a long road ahead. But it feels good nonetheless.

IMG_20191012_194557273.jpg
IMG_20191012_194542191.jpg
IMG_20191012_221634577.jpg
IMG_20191012_221642318.jpg
IMG_20191012_221704834.jpg

First round of rust converter laid down on patina blue. I’ll probably get the spray cans for the under carriage when I get back to it. Happy with the results so far!

9C081A21-99E8-4EDC-8927-CE120272BDE1.jpeg

I forgot to add that I used a 3-speed flywheel and clutch components, it helps a little in the situation you described due to the heavier flywheel mass.
I use the earlier three finger clutch and heavier flywheel behind my 2f for the same reason...

Gaz..

Last edited:
I use the earlier three finger clutch and heavier flywheel behind my 2f for the same reason...

Gaz..
I plan on the same for my '71 FJ40 build. '76 2F, '84 H41 from an Australian HJ47, and '85 split transfer case with drum parking brake from a Belgian BJ45.

I rebuilt the front end knuckles and did the bearings and seals, tie rods, 4 wheel disc brake conversion, suspension lift with new springs and shackles and shocks, tune up on the ramjet crate motor...now I need to get the headlight switch, wiper switch, and fresh pull cable, rebuild the heater/blower-clean the ducts...and some body work down the road...man...I got some stuff to do!

20190421_162432 (1).jpg

20190421_162345 (1).jpg

Got the plumbing for the heater installed, also ran the vacuum lines to the transfer case.

20191014_211635.jpg
20191014_211536.jpg

IMG_20190913_124011_302.jpg

Drove it back out of the garage and in again!!
Brakes seem to be okay, may need a bit more bleeding.

First off, let's get it out of the way - yes, I'm a geek.

I've had this truck for about eight years now, and the dash has always kinda bugged me. It's no restoration queen, but I hated these holes in the dash:

1Before.jpg

So after some searching, I found some appropriately shaped knobs for my first idea for these blank spaces:

2After.jpg

In the interim, I scoured the internet for the needed pieces - a spring-loaded momentary pull switch and an extra garage door opener remote I could hack up:

Hack1.jpeg

Hack2.jpg

So now, I have a 'stealth' garage door opener in place of the throttle knob (that didn't come with the truck and I have no need for):

First off, let's get it out of the way - yes, I'm a geek.

I've had this truck for about eight years now, and the dash has always kinda bugged me. It's no restoration queen, but I hated these holes in the dash:

View attachment 2108351

So after some searching, I found some appropriately shaped knobs for my first idea for these blank spaces:

View attachment 2108359

In the interim, I scoured the internet for the needed pieces - a spring-loaded momentary pull switch and an extra garage door opener remote I could hack up:

View attachment 2108364

View attachment 2108366

So now, I have a 'stealth' garage door opener in place of the throttle knob (that didn't come with the truck and I have no need for):

Now that is COOL! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom