Meet Beast. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently purchased my 1985 FJ60 land cruiser. And have approximately named him beast. I only know some of his history: bought at some dealer around San Diego by the dealership id on the door, bought and lived in Washington state, then bought and taken to the valley, and now it’s in front of my house in lemoore, CA. I’ve also learned it got the gas tank fix in Arizona.. so at some point it turned into an off-road rig. So my task has been to bring it back to a respectable condition.

F473B709-2A70-4FF5-BB42-DFC6D6D76AEC.png

CAA9C6C5-EF6A-4ABF-9425-9B9F2B3FCDCC.jpeg

10AF38DF-D296-4BBD-B1CA-3E66397AB120.jpeg

9AEE075B-5EA4-4D11-8384-7106EAB46DBD.jpeg

C3785281-9A86-468B-928A-AE8395724838.jpeg

Congratulations on your purchase!! How does it run? What is that finish it has on the paint? Is that some type of rhino guard material? Are you keeping that or going back to a smooth surface paint?

I’ve alread done a number on him. First was to clean it, lots of trail dirt, spilled sodas, neglect, random screws... next was to remove all the non OEM wiring for the trail lights, security system, and sound system. Then a complete run threw of the dash, dash cover, lights, clean contacts in connectors, and a new speedometer cable as the other was cut.

4EDC559E-F2DC-4CFA-B65E-EEC772B9E17D.jpeg

2E666D7E-2A52-4F82-B3DE-302A49F334F9.jpeg

1FAFB704-C459-4790-AB40-7A9889B8A9B9.jpeg

86AA7D0C-8E2A-45DD-AF8A-396D0A21F160.jpeg

2A38B8CB-BFDD-48B0-ADFB-AC1792BDDC36.jpeg

Then came the grill painting, as the previous had been painted with bed liner. New head light bezels (temporary), new OEM steering wheel (now the horn won’t work, but I have a few options), new rear door shocks, new glove box interior, and new aftermarket rear view mirrors. The mirrors are temporary. I see why everyone sticks to original Toyota mirrors...

78C4D017-669C-49A3-9A66-92C78051007C.jpeg

BC83971A-0464-4A30-856A-79095347CB81.jpeg

5E7FB021-423D-42F4-BD8E-AC07EB53EE20.jpeg

1A0BDF14-33C9-400B-977A-D8B866E20299.jpeg

85AF86A4-9010-4140-A97B-6AC9B63DE35B.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase!! How does it run? What is that finish it has on the paint? Is that some type of rhino guard material? Are you keeping that or going back to a smooth surface paint?
thank you! It runs pretty good now that I reattached a number of vacuum lines. I think the carb may need adjusting, but good for the time being. As with the paint, it was blue, then was painted dark metallic blue, then the top was painted white, then the remaining dark blue was bed linered... i eventually want the original blue back. But now I’m off into the shocks and springs. It’s super loose and the shock placement is all wrong... on top of that the spring-over-axel conversation sucks.... I may just revert it to stock and get shackles.

If it has no frame rust: nice score, worth some maintenance and base line money:
This is basic maintenance, (download the other fsm)
1986 Maintenance 26 pag.pdf
Replace 5 tierods to be safe, I waited for one to snap off: no steering.

If it has no frame rust: nice score, worth some maintenance and base line money:
This is basic maintenance, (download the other fsm)
1986 Maintenance 26 pag.pdf
Replace 5 tierods to be safe, I waited for one to snap off: no steering.
Almost no rust and a virtually rust free frame! One of the reasons I jumped on it. Does that work for the 85 ones too? I did download a few of the manuals I found applicable. They are going to be a great help. I love digging into a new problem and seeing what’s missing or needs replaced, what I can fix, and how it goes back together. This is such a simple vehicle.. I can’t wait to bring it back up to snuff!

Great work on saving this rig. I can’t imagine having to scrape all that bed liner off the body but glad you did. Your attention to detail will result in a really nice 60 congrats :clap:

Great work, I missed where your located ? Looks like your already having fun getting to know your rig, Looking forward to your updates

Welcome to the craziness and good on you for saving another 60. Can't quite tell but looks like it has had a spring over done?

I’m located in lemoore, CA. And it does have a spring over axle conversion, but it’s kinda shaky... and the rear shocks are not in the right place. I will attach a picture as soon as I can. In the mean time if anyone has a good picture of a stock rear end, ie shock placement, I would be extremely greatful!

Ok, I’ve gotten some good feedback from a few people, it looks like the engine is sound with all his main parts that are supposed to be there. Adjusted the ideal to sit around 700-800 rpm instead of 2000... bad news, the birfields are shot and the springs need help. So! Next is a rebuild, an axle over spring conversion, and new springs. Also, if anyone is in the area and has some OEM grey seats I would love you long time!! Lol

Anyone willing to scrape off bedlinen will make a damn good 60 owner. Congrats!

WOW!!! 100 times better with that bedliner off. Nice progress
Thank you! It feels like a real vehicle now. Before it just looked so tacky and more of an off road rig than a land cruiser....

Believe me there are some great looking "linered" rigs out there but when someone goes with something that looks like a store bought rattle can then it gets real hard to actually think it looks good. Think everyone can agree yours fell under the latter, but looks great now! Keep at it, MEK is a great remover (or airplane stripper if you can find it) but be VERY CAREFUL with either of those as they are nasty nasty stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom