Builds Megadoomer Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got some time in today. Added the 1/4 fish plate for the steering box. Got the holes drilled.

Cut the passenger side shock tower. With the plasma cutter it was done in 15 mins. Other oddsand end done. Getting ready to cut all of the front suspension out next.
20200524_141833.jpg

Didnt get anything done over the weekend. I was doing some armchair inganeering for my shock towers and realize I am cramming 10lbs of ....in a 5lb bag. So I pulled the trigger and ordered my coilovers today. This will help me get the towers perfect... er, perfectish.

The shocks came. Still waiting for the springs. Been doing some odds and ends on the frame and few other nothing burgers. Ordering all the motor items tomorrow. New timing chain, water pump, oil pan, PS pump and reservoir.
20200707_200058.jpg

Got a little pile of goodies streaming in from Rockauto.
20200713_205631.jpg

For anyone else going LS and looking for a sensible power steering pump setup. The Chevy Express 5.3 has a reservoir setup that is less than $100.
This is the reservoir, the pump body has not come yet.
20200713_205504.jpg

Here are the shocks with springs. Black of course. I haven't put the retainers on yet. I need the shocks pliable for the tower design.
20200713_205514.jpg

Reservoir is steel and looks like its powder coated. I also got a Camaro oil pan and pickup, crank seals, water pump, thermostat, o2 sensors.

Opened the oil pan yesterday and decided to get an oil pump. The Vorteq windage tray doesn't fit the pan so I'm deciding to cut it or get a lower profile tray.

I'm calling a company today about a stand alone loom. I was going to do it myself but it scares me.

You're a dipstick. Ya I need to get one anyway, the engine somehow came without it.

I almost got that kit too, but I have so many questions and it's hard to just buy crap online with out knowing what I need and being able to manipulate the products.

Don't be scared, it is way easier than you think and you are going to want to do it with the rest of the wiring so you have one loom for the pig.

I felt the same. Once I got into it, it wasn't that bad. My philosophy on this stuff is I can probably screw it up 2.5 times before I start to lose money and have to resort to buying one. So far, I haven't spent the money to re-do much and I learned a lot during the journey.

Well, pulled the pan off and saw some milky crap and dug a little further. Spun cam bearing and a hack head gasket job. Pistons and cylinders are good but I decided to order rings, bearings, cam and lifters, seals, and gaskets. Basically a rebuild along with all new bolt on spinny things. Not what I was hoping for but at least I'll get another 100k out of it.

I felt the same. Once I got into it, it wasn't that bad. My philosophy on this stuff is I can probably screw it up 2.5 times before I start to lose money and have to resort to buying one. So far, I haven't spent the money to re-do much and I learned a lot during the journey.
If you have the time, do it yourself. I followed a video of a guy building a cj, really tedious/pretty straight forward. Covid hit and I jumped I , so that was my excuse.

Ya, my father-in-law is an expert engine guy. We are doing it together so it's just our time and parts. He has the tools for it too. I have rockauto boxes showing up every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom