Builds Megadoomer Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to start this build cuz I have a a lot of questions and I dont want to hijack other peoples threads. I put a rundown in the registry but here goes. 1970 Chevyota FJ55. It has a 70's 350 SBC with camel hump heads. Not sure on the insides but it has a good amount of pull. Its matted to a 700R4 with B&M shifter. (Keep in mind this was built by a deceased PO so I get to discover something I didn't know every time I get under it.)

In the rear I have a Dana 44 bolt of an unknown year and gear ratio. It does have disc breaks and an ABS sensor and measures 50". Detroit locker and 31 spline axles. (EDIT: It is a Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 with 4.10) The front is Toyota but again I dont know if its the original or a later model or what the axles are like. (EDIT: Stock 1970 Axle) I only know the rear cuz I bought it and drove home with an axle seal leak.

The inside is gutted and has a 90's interior from a van? Im not sure but it works. The PO I guess was a short dude so the seats were bolted in really high. I am 6'2" and that didnt work for me so I moved some bars around (see pics).

I added a new radiator, which was a pain but I posted my experience in the source thread. My next change is to put a 60 steering box in. The armstrong steering is cramping my ability to drink coffee and cruise. I get a death wobble from 25 - 50 mph when I hit a bump. I can see I need new tie rod ends but I dont know if they are stock or if I should upgrade anyway.

EDIT: Vehicle Updates
I have done a lot of updates in the near decade of ownership. I am going to place links to highlights here. This will be to help others that might be doing the same things, and also help me remember what I did so I can replace items. I plan on owning this Pig forever, so I need to know what I did.

LS SWAP PARTS LIST

LS SWAP INSTALL

FIRST POWER STEERING SWAP - ASTROVAN

CUSTOM FUEL TANK

FAST EFI INSTALL

GM HYDROBOOST INSTALL

NEW EXHAUST / ON-BOARD SHOWER KIT / SPEEDHUT GAUGES

FUEL TANK UPGRADE - HOLLEY HYDRAMAT
POWER DOOR AND WINDOW INSTALL

SECOND POWER STEERING SWAP - 78 BRONCO

FOA COILOVER INSTALL

80 SERIES RADIUS ARM INSTALL

SLIDERS

AMMO CAN INTAKE INSTALL

EDIT: Vehicle Updates

Anyways I'm rambling, enjoy the photos of the girlfriend my wife lets me keep around.
IMAG1263.jpg
IMAG1558.jpg
IMAG1557.jpg

Last edited:
This is my fab work on the seats so far. I'm preping for a Durabak coat inside.
IMAG1313.jpg
IMAG1314.jpg
IMAG1316.jpg

These are the areas I need to fix. I plan to weld in a square tube as a slider.
IMAG1554.jpg
IMAG1556.jpg
IMAG1555.jpg

Doomer,

I think you got a good start on the wagon. What's your over all plans for it. I would really start with your front axle. take it apart and ID it, then rebuild with new stuff. The Death Wobbles isn't any fun.

Good Luck with it and enjoy it.

I plan on keeping it mostly the way I have it now. Just a few upgrades. It's going to be our camping vehicle and my semi DD. It needs to be modern on the inside to get the wife's approval like power windows and locks. I thought about converting to coil overs and a multilink suspension, but I don't want to go too radical. Just be capable. It has 35s now and I'm going to stay that size but get rid of the tsl's.

So I found out that I was in 4 hi the whole time. The throw on the gm transfer case is really short. What I noticed when I took it out of 4 hi my death wobble went away. Does that sound likely? Anyway. I'm happy about that and I might get better gas mileage now.

has your front driveshaft been balanced? how far off are the angles at the two ujoints?

Im not sure if the shaft is out of balance, but the angles seem pretty close without actually measuring it. I do have a lot of variables in this front end. The tires are horrible but the boss(wife) hasn't ok'd the funds yet(not enough OT at work) for new hoops. Also, I know the rod ends need to be replaced but I was going to do that when I put the 60 power steering box in. The stock box is sloppy too, so I think whatever was getting it to to go crazy gets all the other parts acting up. But for now, it being in 2h, its like a whole new truck around town.

Less mud today, but the girls had a good time anyway.
ForumRunner_20130211_213050.jpg

ForumRunner_20130211_213110.jpg

Looks like a pretty clean body on that one. Besides the areas you showed, is there much rust to deal with?

When I gutted the floors I found a 5 inch spot on the driver side pan right in the corner where is angles. During the rain I noticed the windshield leaks a bit and it settles right there. Other than that it is rust free. Social ftw.

So I blew out the u joint on Saturday and I'm bumbed. As far as I can see I have the stock 55 drive shaft, the joint says Japan on it. So after trying to search on MUD I am asking what all you fine piggy owners do for an upgrade. I saw one for sale at jtcruisers but I wonder if there is better than stock. On the bright side I wanted to park it and get the interior done and do the power steering but I can't stop driving it so I had been slacking. Now I am just going to get it all taken safe of.

driveline fresno on goldenstate, get off 99 south on jensen and turn left, at goldenstate, turn right, at railroad make a u turn and start looking to the right. they'll make up whatever you need, and only fix what's broke. call em up ahead of time, last week they were out of slip yokes and ujoints, but expecting more in. if you bring your own stuff, they're happy to put it together for you. Marlins out of his long spline yoke kits, trailgears got a version on the shelf and also in town, and both places have aftermarket joints. yota would be happy to order a set of joints for you as well. I believe the yoke that driveline fresno gets is a stock replacement, I didn't ask if he could get longer splines in the toyota configuration. I don't need the extra travel.....I was told for an outright bolt in shaft balanced with new yokes and joints, I'd be at about 350. of course, like I said, they'll work with whatever you've got. bayshore equipment also does driveshafts, I think they're on North???

Do I really have to drive 5 hours for a u joint? What sucks is that I just drove that stretch to see family in the yay area the weekend before I destroyed my u joint. There is a place I got my axle seal done in santucky called MIT I'm going to hit up.

shoot, you're down souf. neverminds

Got my drive shaft dropped off for new u joint. The guy seems to think its a Spicer spline and tube with a mini truck yoke and u joint. Probably why my SBC tore it a new one. I have a question for the experts again.
If I remove my windshield to paint the front of my roll bars, will I need new rubber?

Got my drive shaft dropped off for new u joint. The guy seems to think its a Spicer spline and tube with a mini truck yoke and u joint. Probably why my SBC tore it a new one. I have a question for the experts again.
If I remove my windshield to paint the front of my roll bars, will I need new rubber?

Been there, if you try to take out windshield trying to save rubber 95% chance you will break glass and tear rubber.I cut the rubber and save glass. Rubber is 250$ new

I saw it for $75 on jtoutfitters.com too. That's still not cool just to throw a little paint on my bars. Not building a show truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom