H55F Swap Checklist: Post 85 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I'm getting ready to do this swap with my friend @FARMAN33

I've got a new H55F and rebuild split case from Georg. That will make most of this a direct swap into my 87. We will not be using anything from the old set up aside from the t case linkage.

Here are the odds and ends that I've got:

CKT032 Aisin Replacement clutch and pressure plate with throw out bearing
Master/Slave and rubber line are both recent Aisin/OEM
12101-61013 Oil Pan
15600-41010 Oil Filter
OEM rear main
OEM Pan Gasket
00295-01281 Toyota FIPG
33530-60160 Shifter handle
City Racer 5 speed knob
Resurfaced OEM Flywheel
Recently Rebuilt Rear Driveshaft with OEM U Joints.

Aside from trying to get a new set of driveshaft bolts as a just in case. I'd like to mod the bracket for the 2LO Mod also.

Brian is no rookie, so on the mechanical side were covered. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. Please enlighten me. Thanks!

I'll state the obvious: good transmission jack, alignment dowels, and I assume Georg modified the transfer front plate with a plug and 5th gear snap in oiler.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NO_75213

Recommended For Differentials & Non-Synchronized Manual Transmissions Where An API GL-5 Or API GL-4 Fluid Is Specified.

This is what I picked up for the whole truck. Thoughts?

I'll state the obvious: good transmission jack, alignment dowels, and I assume Georg modified the transfer front plate with a plug and 5th gear snap in oiler.

He did. I saw it on the invoice.

Beno is right: New trans mount.

Got one!

D4F9F614-2652-43EC-AA23-43219E514EF8.jpeg

NGLI #2 grease ...I like the red tacky stuff for throw out bearing and clutch fork pivot points. I think you may also need to put some on the trans input shaft.

the pilot bearing comes in that clutch kit.

I also used Sta-lube in the trans and t-case. Redline MT 090 is better but also more expensive.

Check to see if you need a (edit) shift fork boot at the side of the clutch housing where the fork goes in. Now would be the time to replace if it's missing or chewed up.

Looks like your prepared!

Last edited:
I highly recommend using the exact same gear oil in the transfer and new transmission. Also drain & fill the transmission after a few hundred miles "break in" and after 1000 miles. Then again one year later. Then follow severe maintenance schedule from there on out.
You'll see a fair amount of metal shavings on the magnetic plug early on as the gears break in. That metal dust in the oil acts as a grinding slurry.

When I first bought the truck you helped me rule out a trans knock as a tune up issue. I bought the Delvac 50 as a fix but never used it.

I wanted to run a Dino oil for rhe first few hundred and then swap that into the transmission.

NGLI #2 grease ...I like the red tacky stuff for throw out bearing and clutch fork pivot points. I think you may also need to put some on the trans input shaft.

the pilot bearing comes in that clutch kit.

I also used Sta-lube in the trans and t-case. Redline MT 090 is better but also more expensive.

Check to see if you need a (edit) shift fork boot at the side of the clutch housing where the fork goes in. Now would be the time to replace if it's missing or chewed up.

Looks like your prepared!

I’ve got the new boot. Mine was saturated and torn from the last leaky slave cylinder.

Other thing to look at is the small ancillary parts that may be around it that should be replaced.. Stuff like the clutch fork boot, new screws for the flywheel inspection pan, etc.

Also, I thought at one point Georg (@orangefj45 ) and purchased an extra set of the tranny to bellhousing bolts and cut the heads off them to act as guide bolts as you are putting up the new tranny. Or am I miss remembering things again???

Also, what about the allen head diff, tranny, t-case, oil pan bolts to replace the stock ones?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the h55f swap, what is the proper way to deal with/bypass the neutral safety switch?

I ask because my Fj62 has a h55f and I'm having all sorts of starting issues and judging by the mess of wiring everywhere else in the vehicle I'm starting to think the previous owner might have screwed something up with the wiring when doing the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom