Builds Another Ratty 40 series: Project Primer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
Hi all,

Long time lurker and window shopper. I've got a 60 series that I've been daily driving for the last two years. I'm having a blast with it. My FJ60 project thread...

A friend of mine picked up this 40 with us going half and half on it. We were going to share the truck and eventually one would buy out the others share. Well, that time came sooner than I expected so I jumped on it.

Its a very ugly but complete June of 1969 FJ40 and it was a Texas farm truck. I believe the odometer hasn't rolled, so its under 100,000 miles. It came with a few OEM parts from about 10 years ago, and not much else.

Someone primered it throughout but there is very little rust. About two dime sized holes around the back window and the frame could use some wire brushing and POR.

The plan is to see if the F will turn over, its got some nasty oil in it and I've got MMO in the cylinders.

If the motor isn't seized, I'll do the following:

-Rebuild the carb
-Get a new radiator and cooling system
-New Fuel tank (probably a later vented unit)
-Replace all rubber hoses and seals throughout the truck.
-Build a basic full exhaust.

If I can get it to run, I'll then rebuild the brakes and start putting miles on it.

This will be a pure stock truck. No lift, keep the 3 on the tree, some knobby 7.00/15 tires and I'll start daily driving it. The main goal is to have something that we can get in an drive without much of a fight. This truck will not do what my 60 does. Just a rolling ratty museum.

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_5032.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

That's a pretty decent 40. You need to put a sealed coat of primer/paint on it to stop the rust. That red oxide primer is not sesled and is allowing rust to develop significantly under it. I would hate to see you loose a good 40 like that. Keep up the good work and enjoy a great old relic!

I've been contemplating doing a bad roll on paint job in a flat color to keep it sealed.

It need a weekend or two of POR15 work to get it sealed up. I want to rhino liner the inside but I know what a pain that is to get off.

That’s a beaut I wouldn’t rinho line it if I were you.

I'm not thrilled about that either. I need to figure out a better solution.

I like your plan. Sounds similar to what I’m doing to a 71. Your rig looks to be in really decent condition. Congrats:cheers:
fyi, I know FJ40jim has mentioned he’s not fond of that early 69 carb. I believe 65swb45 also has commented. If you want to switch to a larger cfm Aisan, a 70-72 carb would work with your cable style throttle. Ideally, porting the base would be nice so you can switch to a vacuum advance distrubutor. Pretty sure your OEM will be a vac retard type dissy.

On paint, no one can argue against the simplicity of rattle cans. But, it’s not difficult to spray 2 part epoxy using an HVLP gun. Way more durable.

Last edited:
I also like that the plan is for stock! They became a legend Off Road just being stock, I think people forget that at times. Nice find! Keep us posted, we all love pics.

I’ve got a modified 60. Don’t need this to do anything aside from be a solid driver and be reliable. I know it’s all reasonable.

That is a easy simple restoration. Has very little cancer. I think the patina is killed by the spray on primer in different spots. I would replace the rear sill, clean off the surface rust, buy and cheap paint gun, and spray it. The I would do the same to the inside. A couple of weekends, 500 to 1000 bucks, and some labor, and that thing could look pretty good. Of course if you wanted show quality then it would take significantly more.

Ideally, porting the base would be nice so you can switch to a vacuum advance distrubutor. Pretty sure your OEM will be a vac retard type dissy.

I'd think that it would have a '69 vac. advance dizzy...and is already ported for it.
I'd leave the exterior paint just the way it is.
Leave the MMO in the cylinders a few days, got a handcrank? Do this...
hand crank.JPG

It’s had MMO in it a few days. I need to drop the pan to do this right.

I need to find a hand crank to turn it over.

I’ve also got a used trollhole carb that needs a rebuild. Can I make it work on this intake manifold?

I’ve also got a used trollhole carb that needs a rebuild. Can I make it work on this intake manifold?

Very probably yes. Looks like you have one of those cool and rare '69 HI FLOW/HI PO intake manifolds...

(edit): Like me.

Good deal. I just put a cityracer on the 60.

I’ve also got a 2F 60 series electronic distributor laying around from the truck. Went with a JimC recurved unit.

I like the '69 dizzy, ran it for many years. Get one of Mark's rebushed, pertronixed dizzys and it'll look perfectly stock and last forever.
You'd have to change the sideplate to run the 60 dizzy.

I only took out my Mark's re-bushed, pertronixed dizzy was to put in a 60 series in.

Last edited:
I like the '69 dizzy, ran it for many years. Get one of Mark's rebushed, pertronixed dizzys and it'll look perfectly stock and last forever.
You'd have to change the sideplate to run the 60 dizzy.

I only took out my Mark's re-bushed, pertronixed dizzy was to put in a 60 series in.

I probably will stay with simple and do that. I’ve not used a Petronix unit since 2000 or so In my big block Chrysler.

Those rims are the bees knees, too bad it looks like you are missing one. They take me back to 1985. Nice cruiser!

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom