Builds Fly By Night (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love this place.

PBDy.gif

Had a little fun this evening...

So the baffling baffle was stitched to the floor with success earlier this week with a nice spool gun and some 0.30” 5356 wire. First time running aluminum MIG in 15ish years, but was able to dial it in good enough for this application.

For fun I wanted to put a moderate amount of water in it (5 gallons = 1/7th of a tank) before welding the top on, and drive around with it in the back of the truck just to see what happened. Took a couple videos. Can’t post the videos so here’s a couple pics.

DFE4F491-091F-459F-9214-9F04757D7722.jpeg

AB2B7B84-EFB9-4CDB-8AF4-1FF6F2EC15DD.jpeg

Any interest in building a second tank? I'm a buyer.

Any interest in building a second tank? I'm a buyer.

Yes, I am definitely interested in building tanks. I think it’s going to become a higher demand item as time goes on (until we have to convert to electric).
Probably once I get closer to the finish line with this build, I can gather everything I need (hopefully in a shop) and help out the community with this.

I think it’s going to become a higher demand item as time goes on (until we have to convert to electric).
Probably once I get closer to the finish line with this build, I can gather everything I need (hopefully in a shop) and help out the community with this.
Great that you are interested in doing this but why do you think this will be a higher demand item? Do you foresee gas stations going away in our lifetimes? Just genuinely curious.

FWIW, already see them dropping off along the Alaska Highway, if I recall I think there is already one 180 mile stretch. I'd feel better with a larger tank, but I am hoping for hydrogen power before I need it :)
I have been wondering about early '80s bronco tanks as a possibility, 33gal, about the right dimensions, 16" in height, but cheap - havent really done any deep research on it though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom