Builds Fly By Night (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About time you quit F@#%ing around πŸ€£πŸ˜…. Neighbors finally complain 😠 is that why its on the side of the house Now πŸ‘πŸ·πŸ˜…πŸ€£πŸ˜‰

He is spending all his time taking showers with his woman!

Oh yeah...

Last edited:
Hey D,
So looking at your bench built shackle mounts, you just marked center of the sleeve and lined that up with the outside of the first layer of 3/16”?

8C93AC4E-7F6F-479A-9655-71856C22EADA.jpeg

Yes, the exact center of the DOM is marked. That mark should sit on the outside edge of your fishplate (imaginary line). Since I just ran the plate for the outside straight down, the line sits to the inside of that. You can barely see it in the pic.

CAE5BC3E-E799-4779-ABD3-E0CF426F0A98.jpeg

Gonna be hard to remember the tattered old red/white Pig that stumbled late into the North Rim Pig Party looking for a little fun. And its driver, who was mumbling something about trying to decide whether to sell it or start using it again. Looks like it just might turn into a keeper!

That was a great time Jim! Definitely a turning point. My only regret was not getting up there sooner to spend more time with all the great people with their sweet Cruisers in such an awesome place.
Once this is done, there’ll be little to no reason to miss an outing due to the Cruiser having an issue.

Every hanger is now fully welded. At one point I’d thought about just leaving them tacked until I got the new springs, and then adjusting the hangers to fit the springs. But since the new springs will be custom, the springs will be adjusted to fit the hangers.
I recently discovered a custom spring manufacturer in Phoenix called β€œValley Spring Service” that I think I’m gonna go with because of the proximity. Based on their website, it looks as though they’ve been around the block a few times.

Today I added the front crossmember bottom tie-ins which have been more or less cut loose since I cut my stock front shackle hanger off years ago.
Since I have this welder for only a couple more days, I went ahead and took care of several of Ryu’s shoddy weld beads. It was his first day welding after all πŸ˜•

7385C8C8-7E08-419A-9343-AA21FF71A9DA.jpeg

3CF054FF-2BDF-402D-8ADC-23D0A695F09A.jpeg

1D4F82BF-D3EA-4504-9872-399FF45DEBB2.jpeg

93157CF8-0523-401D-905D-F0096DB4FF17.jpeg

C65A700F-B18A-448A-9AAB-04849882D95A.jpeg

Welds look great! Lots done today... :beer:

I wanted to ask you before the burn in about your winch placement. I was looking at mine, but it's a pto and sits down in there and the shaft would hit it. You're running an electric winch, yes so no worries. Either way, she ain't moving now. πŸ‘

Nice work! I need a welding lesson from you... I get by but my beads don't compare to yours.

I cherry-pick the best stuff for pics. Been welding for 20 years and still try to find ways to improve, especially when seeing the work some of the high-end fab shops produce.
Ballistic Fabrication and Ruff Stuff both have some guys that do phenomenal work.

I looked up a couple videos awhile back about how to make MIG look like TIG. The basic jist is that you run it like you would 6011, one step forward, half step back. Some guys recommended turning your settings down a little cooler. Several times I also used a larger circular, curly-Q pattern if I needed the puddle to spread over a larger area.
I also highly recommend being indoors, like in a shop, a nice powerful welder capable of welding at least 1/4”, preferably 3/8” with shielding gas, a nice auto darkening hood you can see out of, clean steel, patience, and a child-like sense of wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom