Advice on whether I should buy a Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is why you bought this rig and why you joined this forum. Don't take it back to the mechanic unless you have money to just swirl away down the toilet. You can do this with help from this group. This kind of project is exactly what you need to take you from 1 :banana: to :banana::banana:.
1. Do a search! Try things like "fuel gurgle", "Pressure gas cap", "pinched fuel vent" and see what you find.
2. AFTER you do your search and if you don't have the answer, post a NEW thread titled something like, "Back pressure in the fuel tank. What could it be?"
3. Describe your symptoms, what you've done, some of the threads you've looked at, and ask for help.
4. DO what the forum members recommend and keep people updated on your progress. Get dirty. Stay up until 2AM working on it. Bloody your knuckles. Swear at it. You're going to have to swear at it, a lot, before you can up-level on the banana rating. In some religions swearing is frowned upon. Car-swears don't count against you in heaven.
5. Take pictures along the way of what you've done.
6. Celebrate your win with a traditional IH8MUD step 6. :beer: :beer:

But DON'T pay a mechanic for stuff like this. Spend your money on tools and shop supplies and fun. You can handle it, man! You've got this!

Unless it's cold outside. If it's below freezing in your workspace, just take it to the mechanic. Screw everything I just said.🥶
Will get on this and the new fun little noises and smells it started making after my near liftoff this morning!!!🚙🚀 :rofl: It's gunna peak at 33 today so not below freezing I'll be out there f***ing with it!!

Cheers

Not trying to be funny. Actually curious what this could be.
Hahaha my rig is special let me tell ya. If its a wiring issue just look for broken wires that may have jolted when I took off?

Put the turn signal back on and listen for the buzzing relay. Go under the dash and find it. With a flashlight look for burned wires going to it. You may need to drop the relay panel to look at the wires coming in from the top. Just takes one 10mm socket, nut driver or what ever, take the machine screw out and drop it down.

Started it up again and took an audio recording. Forgot to mention it smells like something’s burning (not fuel) like burnt skin Smell or something (I didn’t burn myself lol). Can’t shut the blinker off either now!

I will bless the start your days with this awful noise😂.

Also Blinker is literally stuck on. I REAALLY jolted the truck let me tell you, e brakes only stopped me after 2 feet. It’s like it was trying to take off like a thunderbird lol.
Also forgot to mention getting a burning smell, maybe the clutch or the brakes or hopefully not something worse? It smells like of like burning skin (not me lol, always drive with burn proof medieval Chain mail on as I’m still learning!😃😃😂) any other things I should check on the drivetrain?

turn signal relay is staying on clearly. Either you have a shorted wire or connection. Try pulling the fuse for the turn signals first.

turn signal relay is staying on clearly. Either you have a shorted wire or connection. Try pulling the fuse for the turn signals first.
Update: the freakish noise stopped, maybe jt had to do with cold weather, but others have started ☺️☺️🤬 I’ll post it on the Dropbox too. One of em is that chirping sound in the background, and the other about halfway through “new noise” recording also, it sounds like someone tapping fingers on a table. Also, anyone know a good way to test seat belts for these rigs, pulling hard hasn’t Activated it and seems a little loose. I could always do the $10000 dollar seatbelt test, where you aim for a tree in 4th gear but I think it’s a little expensive! Thanks!

That first noise, that beeping because your door is open with the key in the ignition is easy to fix. A black box in the passenger side kick panel, open it up and cut the wire to the little speaker. Then you will be able to listen to the stereo with the doors open.

If you give your seatbelt a couple of quick tugs and it doesn’t lock up then it’s time for a new set. It’s a common issue and a lot of us have ordered new sets from seatbelt planet that look great and work well too. Also quite easy to change though you might need to use some of the old bracket on the new.

Hey Y'all,
Done a lot of thinking and its time to go ahead with the engine rebuild/swap, and am deciding what to do. Basically we all know it could give out soon and that's what BTB and my local old car guy here said too, and I'm tired of getting passed by grandmas in there civics at 45mph. I made a new thread about the swap options here: Fj60 Engine Swap Best Options? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-engine-swap-best-options.1249596/

So, How long should I expect it to take including other work I'll have done on it too (that I can't do myself) Like: axel rebuild, suspension change, potential carb rebuild or sniper install, tranny serviced, exhuast manifold leak fixed, vacuum leaks fixed. Rust proofing and other defferred maintenance from PO I can't get to yet and hopefully can do myself one day. Luckily ive made some money off of DOGECOIN 😀😎🤠🤑😂😂😂😂😂😂 but I really cant put much more than 7k into the rebuild and those other items

Lastly, I really still want to learn to wrench and even though I cant do those big ticket items b/c im so new the coolest thing in the world would be to find an LC shop in Boise that would let me help or watch as they work on the rig. Or would a cruiser club in Boise be a good route for something of that nature too?

Thanks all, One love!

Beehanger

If you're swapping the engine your exhaust manifold leak, vacuum leaks, and potentially carb rebuild/sniper install will be taken care of. All these things are related to your engine swap and engine choices. I suck at carburetors so if it were me I would go with a fuel-injected option when I do the engine swap. I think it's more reliable, easier to maintain and adjust for altitude, etc.

You should be getting all new cooling hoses, vacuum hoses, and belts with the new engine, all that is taken care of. If you haven't already, I would upgrade/replace the radiator and cooling fan while you're in there. They'll need to be matched to the needs of the new engine.

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Hi All,

I'm sure you've all been anxiously waiting every waking day for the last year and a half for me to post an update, and shock of all shocks it's another s*** show!

Sent the truck back to PO's shop in October in what was supposed to be a 2 month engine rebuild process. That was OCT 2021. and its still setting enginless in his shop. I even moved down there for a while to be part of the process and get the ball rolling to no avail. Trusted the guy, turns out all good people aren't competent or trustworthy to their promises, many other lessons learned.
Moving out to Boulder to work on the truck myself with another amateur freind of mine, and pick up a job. but two brains are better than one. Maybe will rent a garage and sleep in it for a while. Gunna ship it up there, not sure about logistics yet. Thought about cutting the cord at least nine times and move on with my life, get a functioning car, get much needed cash, and become a karen. Nah.

Engine is in some machine shop, maybe Ill have it shipped separately once its done or pull the plug there too if they haven't started.

You all probably all knew I was signing myself up for a s***show sandwhich last year, but young bucks must learn the hard way. I'm still in good Spirits and can't wait to work on the truck, hopefully with the help of some other cruiserheads in Denver, and I'll learn to wrench like our forefathers did working on their landcruisers in 1776. the hard way, little to no in person help, and on youtube.

Hope you all are well, everything happens for a reason, and don't be shocked to catch more postings of major happy joy joy s*** shows ahead! Any pointers on anything I just said much appreciated.

Best,
Beehanger

Hi All,

I'm sure you've all been anxiously waiting every waking day for the last year and a half for me to post an update, and shock of all shocks it's another s*** show!

Sent the truck back to PO's shop in October in what was supposed to be a 2 month engine rebuild process. That was OCT 2021. and its still setting enginless in his shop. I even moved down there for a while to be part of the process and get the ball rolling to no avail. Trusted the guy, turns out all good people aren't competent or trustworthy to their promises, many other lessons learned.
Moving out to Boulder to work on the truck myself with another amateur freind of mine, and pick up a job. but two brains are better than one. Maybe will rent a garage and sleep in it for a while. Gunna ship it up there, not sure about logistics yet. Thought about cutting the cord at least nine times and move on with my life, get a functioning car, get much needed cash, and become a karen. Nah.

Engine is in some machine shop, maybe Ill have it shipped separately once its done or pull the plug there too if they haven't started.

You all probably all knew I was signing myself up for a s***show sandwhich last year, but young bucks must learn the hard way. I'm still in good Spirits and can't wait to work on the truck, hopefully with the help of some other cruiserheads in Denver, and I'll learn to wrench like our forefathers did working on their landcruisers in 1776. the hard way, little to no in person help, and on youtube.

Hope you all are well, everything happens for a reason, and don't be shocked to catch more postings of major happy joy joy s*** shows ahead! Any pointers on anything I just said much appreciated.

Best,
Beehanger
I think it’s super rad you’re sticking it out.

@mattressking may be able to help you out with that.
Hey guys,
I know I know, it’s been 3 months and I haven’t posted an update. I wish I was the a****** here but machine shop is JUST NOW about to send me the quote over for what they want to do on the engine. It’s given me time to think about what my priorities are though.

I will post the quote update on here when he sends it, and we can all look through it together. I’m debating if the costs are high to go with cheaper pistons ETC.

The first reason I’m posting is because the machine shop and mechanic want me to put a sniper kit. They are highly insisting on it.

My issue is, they want me to put money down now and well, I can barely pay for the rebuild as is (3800 approx) so I’m likely going to have them out the malfunctioning carb back on. I want to do the EFI myself too, later on.
——-

Hey guys,
I know I know, it’s been 3 months and I haven’t posted an update. I wish I was the a****** here but machine shop is JUST NOW about to send me the quote over for what they want to do on the engine. It’s given me time to think about what my priorities are though.

I will post the quote update on here when he sends it, and we can all look through it together. I’m debating if the costs are high to go with cheaper pistons ETC.

The first reason I’m posting is because the machine shop and mechanic want me to put a sniper kit. They are highly insisting on it.

My issue is, they want me to put money down now and well, I can barely pay for the rebuild as is (3800 approx) so I’m likely going to have them out the malfunctioning carb back on. I want to do the EFI myself too, later on.
——-
In other news, In my time of pondering and hitting my head against a wall at my parents house waiting for my only car to be done, I’ve come upon the idea that I should just become a mechanic.

If there’s this much ****ery in the industry, people can’t find parts, there’s a shortage of mechanics etc there must be an opportunity here etc.

I have an interview Friday to become an apprentice tech/front desk person at a mechanic shop here in Idaho hurting for someone. I liked the mechanic and am talking to the owner Friday.

I’ll try to work on the truck after work etc. I have the idea of having the mechic in SoCal literally just install the rebuilt engine, bolt everything on running or not, and I’ll just throw it on a uhaul or have it shipped home so I can tinker on it with this other mechanic (he knows cruisers) I don’t want to keep paying someone to do it.

I guess waiting 6 months and having my d*** in my hand gave me some important time for reflection.
I’m planning on staying at this mechanic shop anywhere from 3 months to a year so I can move up the ladder in the industry and from there using this experience to work at a place that makes cruiser parts like some of the vendors on here and doing some business side stuff for them and use my business degree then. I feel like I don’t know what I’m talking about because I haven’t worked on cars before so that’s why I figure working at this shop is a good Segway. I have ideas for different parts/Lc business ideas from an academic perspective but I really don’t know what I’m talking about is what I realized. My solution to learn what I’m talking about is to become a mechanic for awhile and learn how cars work. This is my thinking as a naive 25 y/o, and I wanted to run it by you guys and hear informed thoughts on it, if I’m going down a dead end road or perhaps paving a new one I guess we’ll find out.

Curious if you guys have any advice on any of these topics -sniper kit - shipping car without being tuned - places to work to get experience etc.

Pretty excited for what’s ahead, it’s cool that I’ve come up with a larger goal out of all of this, and im hoping my current actions might teach me skills that can feed into a business career in cruisers. I’m also debating looking for jobs at cruiser devoted shops or machine shops, but I’m out of time and money and seems like I have to be local for a while so I can use the family car. If you know a guy in the western US tho hit me up.

Best
Beehanger

In other news, In my time of pondering and hitting my head against a wall at my parents house waiting for my only car to be done, I’ve come upon the idea that I should just become a mechanic.

If there’s this much f***ery in the industry, people can’t find parts, there’s a shortage of mechanics etc there must be an opportunity here etc.

I have an interview Friday to become an apprentice tech/front desk person at a mechanic shop here in Idaho hurting for someone. I liked the mechanic and am talking to the owner Friday.

I’ll try to work on the truck after work etc. I have the idea of having the mechic in SoCal literally just install the rebuilt engine, bolt everything on running or not, and I’ll just throw it on a uhaul or have it shipped home so I can tinker on it with this other mechanic (he knows cruisers) I don’t want to keep paying someone to do it.

I guess waiting 6 months and having my d*** in my hand gave me some important time for reflection.
I’m planning on staying at this mechanic shop anywhere from 3 months to a year so I can move up the ladder in the industry and from there using this experience to work at a place that makes cruiser parts like some of the vendors on here and doing some business side stuff for them and use my business degree then. I feel like I don’t know what I’m talking about because I haven’t worked on cars before so that’s why I figure working at this shop is a good Segway. I have ideas for different parts/Lc business ideas from an academic perspective but I really don’t know what I’m talking about is what I realized. My solution to learn what I’m talking about is to become a mechanic for awhile and learn how cars work. This is my thinking as a naive 25 y/o, and I wanted to run it by you guys and hear informed thoughts on it, if I’m going down a dead end road or perhaps paving a new one I guess we’ll find out.

Curious if you guys have any advice on any of these topics -sniper kit - shipping car without being tuned - places to work to get experience etc.

Pretty excited for what’s ahead, it’s cool that I’ve come up with a larger goal out of all of this, and im hoping my current actions might teach me skills that can feed into a business career in cruisers. I’m also debating looking for jobs at cruiser devoted shops or machine shops, but I’m out of time and money and seems like I have to be local for a while so I can use the family car. If you know a guy in the western US tho hit me up.

Best
Beehanger
Respect.
"I'm a :banana:mechanic and I have a :banana::banana::banana::banana: Land Cruiser. I can send it down the road or I can "SEND IT!"
Mechanic-ing isn't for everyone, and I'll be the first to say I did NOT see this coming. Way to grab life where it counts and make a choice! Whatever you do, you'll learn from it, and now is a great time to do that. Good job, man!
I have no advice because I think you're figuring things out pretty well on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom