Advice on whether I should buy a Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tonight more of the same except I’m Currently sitting in my mechanic clothes in a 4 star restaurant waiting for a margarita pizza— last place open and I’m not eating F***ing twinkies
Maybe I should just have them seat me?

Pizza with a side of bolts

1B1EE502-0758-4E39-AEB4-6AF0C9E57BE8.jpeg

I made another post on a different thread, linking to it for now. From now on though I'll try to post everything here so people don't have to jump.

bee hanger

Posting pictures of my engine and having trouble figuring out which unions and plugs I need to get this engine wrapped up. Are there any diagrams beyond the one posted below to tell me what these blank wholes need to be filled with? @ToyotaMatt has given me some clarity (Ty!), but Im not sure which combo of female/male unions I need, and if any other plugs are needed. How would one even figure this out beyond mud member spelling it out and/or seeing a finished 2f in person?

PS, I've already figured out the following:
I need this: to go into number 2 position: View attachment 3260384
Ill put in spark plugs
I need the air house inlet plugs (desmogging my engine)
ive figured out I still need a rocker bolt as well ( of course)

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 10.05.44 PM.png

tempImageBzFlBZ.png

tempImagezKrmUC.png

tempImagensDeRi.png

tempImageKRu7Sn.png

You’re missing a bolt and nut on the rocker arm. If you’re going to be desmogged you need plugs for the air rail ports.
You can get all your desmog parts here. Get the pulley too.

Do I need the EGR threaded plug?
I used one on my truck because I wanted to route the PVC back to the intake. You can get a block off plate if you’d rather not have that port open. Either way you need to block the EGR port. Here’s a picture of how it looks. Putting the plate on it makes it look cleaner. This doesn’t bother me, though.

6344192B-2B2D-484C-BFF6-E42032EE2DB1.jpeg

View attachment 3262376
Whoever is responsible for the creation of blasphemous Memes
such as these, we will hunt you down and find you ! 🤣

View attachment 3262377
I have fossil evidence that dinosaurs were "petrified" of pineapple pizza. I know several paleontologist who will like back me on this. If you keep pushing, I'll be forced to post bad pictures of Jurassic aged cycads ( like pineapple) and coprolites giving evidence of why T-Rex rid the planet of long necked pineapple pizza eating sauropods. ....and gave us oil for our Land Cruisers. Fair warning!

Science bitches!

Anyone recommend a carb rebuilder?
I bought a rebuild kit already and was going to have someone help me locally, but not sure if they could Desmog and recurve it etc. Do I need to have something done to Dizzy too?

Already did have items per the desmog guide:
  • Plug and Cap set from JimC
  • AIR pump Idler Pulley from JimC (or de-vane your smog pump)
  • Silicon vacuum tubing (i.e., from McMaster-Carr):
o 3mm: 32 ft (McMaster Carr part #5041K22)
o 6mm: 12 ft (McMaster Carr part #5041K24)
Block-off plate and gasket for EGR "J" pipe:
o Canmakeaplateyourself
o or buy it from MAF (part# 25601)
o or weld a coin of 1” bar stock into the exh manifold EGR opening
o or the J pipe can be cut off, end of tube mashed flat and welded shut.
o Some people recommend RemFlex gaskets, others prefer the OEM graphite gasket.
Rubber or nylon caps for the AIR fittings on the air cleaner:eek: These are included in the Plug/Cap set from JimC

@FJ40Jim (Jim C) or @65swb45 (Mark's off road) are the 2 resident carb rebuilders, I'm pretty sure Jim does the Dizzy recurves as well.

Anyone recommend a carb rebuilder?
I bought a rebuild kit already and was going to have someone help me locally, but not sure if they could Desmog and recurve it etc. Do I need to have something done to Dizzy too?

Already did have items per the desmog guide:
  • Plug and Cap set from JimC
  • AIR pump Idler Pulley from JimC (or de-vane your smog pump)
  • Silicon vacuum tubing (i.e., from McMaster-Carr):
o 3mm: 32 ft (McMaster Carr part #5041K22)
o 6mm: 12 ft (McMaster Carr part #5041K24)
Block-off plate and gasket for EGR "J" pipe:
o Canmakeaplateyourself
o or buy it from MAF (part# 25601)
o or weld a coin of 1” bar stock into the exh manifold EGR opening
o or the J pipe can be cut off, end of tube mashed flat and welded shut.
o Some people recommend RemFlex gaskets, others prefer the OEM graphite gasket.
Rubber or nylon caps for the AIR fittings on the air cleaner:eek: These are included in the Plug/Cap set from JimC
Jim sells the rubber caps in his kit.

I would get the block off plate. That way it’s reversible down the road.

I don’t think you’re gonna need that much vacuum line if you’re desmoggong the truck. 90% of that stuff will be gone depending on what components you keep, ie: HAC system. You will need vacuum to the dizzy and from the carb to the manifold I think. Been a minute since I looked at the desmog diagrams.

Get the remflex gasket kit. It’s far superior to the OEM. It’s like two or three times as thick and expands with a few heat cycles to take up any gaps you may have, though you shouldn’t have any if your machine shop did it right. That manifold/intake combo is a real PITA to seal up and the remflex is THE answer to your headaches. You can find them on eBay for cheaper than going directly through the website. I think I paid $45 as opposed to $75 or whatever the remflex site has them listed for.

Send the carb and dizzy to JimC for the desmog set up. I’m not sure if Mark’s off road does dizzy curves, but I know Jim has the equipment to do it.

Folks,
Things are pretty going well over here so far! Engine is almost together and hoping to have this puppy running in a couple weeks.
Figuring out parts situation etc. Ran into a few hiccups after getting the rig here... engine had some rust on it from sitting without wd40. I've mainly been cleaning parts with wire wheel and trying to order dozens of different items from missing head bolts to a new Clutch kit, and helping assemble engine with one of our mechanics here.

My lack of mechanical ability and being able to move the project at the pace I want it is frustrating. I feel semi helpless without supervision from my mechanic co workers. and its hard to know how to study especially because of the following point::::

Usage of online recourses for diagrams, parts numbers, and ordering has been a learning curve enough. From finding part numbers to finding the right diagrams not included in FSMs has been a task in itself. It's honestly hampering my learning as I can't study enough at night because I don't have the means how. Youtube doesn't have much, and my in person time with the mechanic is only so helpful as he basically just does it without explaining it. If I had the proper diagrams in one spot I'd have a chance. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted chasing my own tail trying to find comprehensive diagrams. For instance the one on the right in attachments Ive seen before but can't remember where... Im never sure if the one Im looking at is comprehensive, so knowing if I have all the parts is super difficult. without a mechanic helping I could literally just roll through a project and be missing parts and not know it. its a scary thought and I need a way to have all the diagrams on how things attach to the engine including all parts listed and stop wasting my time as im on a timetable to get this done and out of the shop.

So....

Where the hell can I find fj60 diagrams all in one spot? I've been through Partsouq and all the posted FSM's on the recourses page,
but I'm noticing that the 2f manual and beyond doesn't have everything.

For instance, I thought I had everything I needed to assemble the head by looking at the FSM diagram but then this second one turns up in my old photos and I realize im lacking the proper nut to screw the cylinder head in... the first diagram never had that in there, let alone the part number or what it is even called.

So what's the best way, from your guys experience teaching youselvess, to find out: what all the parts are in full, and what their part numbers are, and if possible what their function is.

Basically I think I'd get a lot more out of this build process if I had someone explain to me all the recourses they used and how they organize them. I don't have the experience yet to just use intuition or logic to know how things go together.

Ive used all the following links without a complete picture, just bits a pieces.. what are more I can use??:

DIAGRAMS Cylinder block for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60LG - Auto parts - https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/fj60lg/3692/engine/1105/11434C/

For converting PNC numbers to actual parts numbers Cylinder cover head bolt - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cylinder-cover-head-bolt.1305708/#post-14832770

More FMS Land Cruiser Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) - https://www.cruisercult.com/factory-service-manuals

Hope you all are well, as you can tell im a bit frustrated but just at the end of the day happy my rig is coming together even if It's not as efficient as I'd hoped. I try not to ask for help unless I need it but in this instance I actually need people to spell it out for me :/

Best
Dan

View attachment 3246850

View attachment 3246859
Now imagine what it was like before the internet. I bought my first 40 in 1978 when I was 18. The only mechanical experience I had was rebuilding my Honda CR125 and
doing a couple performance upgrades to my sister's VW bug. By 1980 I had figured out how to install Saginaw power steering and by 81 , a chevy V-8 swap.
Back then , the only way you learned was by screwing things up and doing it over two or three times. No forums, no you tube just a few poorly written, frequently wrong,
magazine articles. Whatever the outcome, you'll finish much smarter than when you started

Jim sells the rubber caps in his kit.

I would get the block off plate. That way it’s reversible down the road.

I don’t think you’re gonna need that much vacuum line if you’re desmoggong the truck. 90% of that stuff will be gone depending on what components you keep, ie: HAC system. You will need vacuum to the dizzy and from the carb to the manifold I think. Been a minute since I looked at the desmog diagrams.

Get the remflex gasket kit. It’s far superior to the OEM. It’s like two or three times as thick and expands with a few heat cycles to take up any gaps you may have, though you shouldn’t have any if your machine shop did it right. That manifold/intake combo is a real PITA to seal up and the remflex is THE answer to your headaches. You can find them on eBay for cheaper than going directly through the website. I think I paid $45 as opposed to $75 or whatever the remflex site has them listed for.

Send the carb and dizzy to JimC for the desmog set up. I’m not sure if Mark’s off road does dizzy curves, but I know Jim has the equipment to do it.
Cool. Thanks all

Watching a build video., Is this the stock water pump? Attempting to Gather all i need to drop her in....

View attachment 3270006
Trying to figure out if I already have the bolts I need for water pump.

I have the part numbers, but how does one read quantity on partsouq diagrams? per the diagram:
9121241040's quanitiy
could either be 2, 3, or 4 is it the last digit or the first that tells you? (see attatched for illustrated confusion LOL)

----

Also, seems this water pump internal gasket has been discontinued and can't find it anywhere aftermarket. (1612461012) @cruisermatt any ideas?

Please see attached,

-Your 1 banana mechanic friend

ll2.png

ll3.png

Watching a build video., Is this the stock water pump? Attempting to Gather all i need to drop her in....

View attachment 3270006
That is your thermostat housing you have circled there. The water pump mounts below it. I can’t remember if a new pump comes with mounting hardware or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom