Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

still formulating a plan..

Have you looked at panel bond adhesives?

I would do a lap joint and bond them, stronger and less prone to warpage than welding.

Couldn't find the video I was looking for but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Have you looked at panel bond adhesives?

I would do a lap joint and bond them, stronger and less prone to warpage than welding.

Couldn't find the video I was looking for but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the suggestion @J Mack , Panel bonding is not something I had considered here so I'm doing some investigating.. So far I havent had any issues with warpage when welding although now I've said that its only fair it'll happen to me doing the roof.. I'll do some more research on that approach and look at sourcing product locally..

I'll bond where I can and weld where I can't on long seams like your roof to try to control warpage and ultimately have a stronger joint then welding alone.
Grab a tube and do some experimenting, I think you'll like it and it will certainly make your life easier.

The profile gauge is getting a work out with these roof sections
20200220041806-fbf75655-me.jpg

20200220041801-c6f4b737-me.jpg

marking out the new section for trimming..
20200220041819-4e56076b-me.jpg

I'm going to see if I can source some Sikapower 4720 this morning so I'll have some to work with on the weekend.. really need to get this roof done

Got 2 tubes ordered and paid for on their way from the north of the state, which should be here monday.. giving me time to prep and be ready to apply when it does land.

It says you can spot weld before its cured so I'll most likely disperse spot welds along the lap joint to help ensure it has the clamping pressure (i dont have enough to clamp the entire length for curing).. I'm also contemplating welding that front edge of the cut roof prior to applying the sides so i can accomodate any variances in the gutters..

I'll most likely disperse spot welds along the lap joint to help ensure it has the clamping pressure
I usually pre-fit all the panels then drill and use self-taping screws to hold it all together, take everything apart grind or sand and clean all the surfaces then apply the glue. Use the screws to hold everything together tightly while the glue is curing and remove the screws or grind the heads off after the glue has set up. A small spot weld to seal the holes is all that’s needed.

I usually pre-fit all the panels then drill and use self-taping screws to hold it all together, take everything apart grind or sand and clean all the surfaces then apply the glue. Use the screws to hold everything together tightly while the glue is curing and remove the screws or grind the heads off after the glue has set up. A small spot weld to seal the holes is all that’s needed.

Yeh i saw someone use self tappers and thought it was a bit wierd.. I've got Cleco's but doubt they'll have the clamping force required. So a plug weld after a few hours applying is ok to fill the holes from the self taping screws?

Yeh i saw someone use self tappers and thought it was a bit wierd.. I've got Cleco's but doubt they'll have the clamping force required. So a plug weld after a few hours applying is ok to fill the holes from the self taping screws?
Yep, you dont want to glue your Cleco's to the roof.
I pre-drill the top panel so the self tapper's don't try to separate the two parts going in but in all honesty I don't know that its needed, if the screw bottoms wont show or hurt anything just grind the heads off and hit them with a small spot weld to prevent them from moving later, if not yeah just remove them and spot weld up the hole after the glue dries.

FYI I use #6 x 3/8 in. Phillips Pan Head Sheet Metal Screw’s but I'm guessing just about any small screw would work.

everbilt-sheet-metal-screws-801012-64_1000.jpg

roof repairs 9
Tonights effort passenger side
20200222053203-75dcf3fe-me.jpg

20200222052839-7bf74df1-me.jpg
20200222052832-97b9e753-me.jpg

Drivers side welded but its 12.30am so too late to grind clean
20200222053152-cd743281-me.jpg
20200222053158-26be9451-me.jpg

Rear gutter
20200222053142-680529f9-me.jpg

Last night I made some tie in's for the rear bit of the roof into the rear corners of the lengths I have photos of above.. .. i was tired so didnt spend too much time out in the shed.. and I still need to weld them to the rear part of the roof.

Tonight I need to weld out the gutters but I'm a bit nervous doing so.. I am thinking I might put all the doors/rear barn doors on to check clearances and just cross my fingers when it comes to above the rear fixed glass..

With the gutters welded on for good I can screw the new roof sections to the old and get everything in position so it'll reach/sit in the gutter before more masking/cutting and painting prior to glue..

almost avoiding this a little cos i dont want to stuff it up, have to redo it... =\ fingers crossed!

Roof repairs 10
Prepping for glue.. marking the overlap and pre drlling holes to hold screws. Mistakenly got stainless 304s sheet metal screws and thefirst one snapped a head off halfway through. Found a few button head self tappers to use instead..

Going to clean the old roof back to bare metal under the new peice. Im using the width of the painters tape as a guide for where the glue will go. Each section has 3 pilot holes for clamping screws and i wanted to drill 2 x 6mm holes on each section to spot weld as well..

20200226034710-06486599-me.jpg
20200226034721-9431b52e-me.jpg
20200226034730-adb29d7a-me.jpg
20200226034738-78faf2ff-me.jpg

Drivers side still needs some massaging for a better fit.
20200226034744-d97787de-me.jpg
20200226034759-b13d2458-me.jpg

Got some better hardware today... also was late getting out to the she so only got one side done..

20200227034141-02d5c605-me.jpg

20200227034151-e02cc742-me.jpg

Currently trying to aim to have everything ready to glue for sunday this weekend..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom