Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my allowance.. and dropped the starter off at the auto sparky yesterday for some attention.. It'll probly be next . year before we're in a position to splash out on a turbo manifold, injector pump mods and turbo.. in the mean time I can try and chip away at
- intercooler
- radiator reco
- new FJ55 window screen glass
- Misc 3" parts for an exhaust

at the same time keep progressing with the rust repairs..

made a profile gauge and angle finder for this roof section. it should help if/when i'm bending these sections away from the vehicle..
20190928163932-59ccd96e-me.jpg
20190928163946-f9905e85-me.jpg

20190928164025-465ab41a-me.jpg

20190928163958-dd832082-me.jpg

20190928164012-ea879612-me.jpg

Great idea, a builder I know has a ton of little bits & scraps with PAT on them in his trailer and shop, I asked him who Pat was and of course patern was the answer...never throw away PAT.

Great idea, a builder I know has a ton of little bits & scraps with PAT on them in his trailer and shop, I asked him who Pat was and of course patern was the answer...never throw away PAT.

Yeh I figured by eye isn't going to be accurate enough when it comes time to glue bits together (eg: the roof and gutter) and even using it on the bit I think is good show's it still needs work to be 'accurate'..

Learned my starter has a non-repairable open circuit and got quoted $900AUD for a OEX branded replacement... I laughed and laughed.. then asked if there was anything they could retro fit into the same nose cone and they came back with a $288 unit from Auto8 Electronics... "Sold" I said as it fit within the 300$ budget I had to play with.. :)

I'm also waiting on some tungsten tipped scribed pens the wife bought me on Ebay to help scribe the mental for the roof before bending.. as it didnt turn up this week I might have a go with what I've got to progress things along a litte..

Do you know what the new starter is for (what vehicle)?
I can only assume but it may be for a 15bf out of a dyna. I'll check the box tomorrow to see if theres a model number.. its no big deal though, all I need is the nose cone of the BJ73 to suit the bellhousing and sandwich plate.. I previously had to pull the guts out of a working starter to compression test the 3B in the BJ73.. worked fine then, no reason why it shouldn't again :)

Been waiting for a dual ended tungsten tipped scribe so I can mark out my sheet metal for bending better than using a sharpie..
20191007234010-f89023bd-me.jpg

I also got a Perspex insert for the BJ73 gauge pod which held a clock and altimeter, inclimeter... This should allow me to populate it with a few dual sweep gauges for water temp, oil pressure, boost and egt's at least..

20191007234004-e38f822a-me.jpg

I like that scribe!

Me too but I haven't had a chance to use it yet...

20191012205913-f53936aa-me.jpg

20191012205927-d0ff2b1c-me.jpg

20191012205936-aedf247e-me.jpg

But I did get a few hours to do some anvil reconditioning... Got some low hydrogen rods from the welding store as it was the most viable and affordable option they had. I didnt really want to invest in 5kg of rods for over $150AUD to use a fistful on an anvil only. I ground back the edges an then warmed the face up with a propane torch before zapping edges to build it up. I wanted to see how it ground back as I was told it would be harder than normal steel due to the rods, but not as hard as it would be with hard facing rods. I think it came up ok before I ran out of time. I ended up burying it in some sand for most of the day so it cooled slowly..

The next challenge will be grinding it back flat with just a hand grinder.. I dont have access to a linisher or anything where I can drop the entire face on at once.. oh well. I'm sure I'll figure it out in time..

I’ve never seen an anvil re-worked, very interesting.

One of my grandads worked for the railway so I grew up smashing stuff on a chunk of rail, haven’t used a real anvil since school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom