Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The plan now is to have both the mechanical cable deployed semaphores AND the "normal" 6 wire column mounted turn switch installed on Laura. Nathan can install flashing bulbs in the semaphores so they will also flash when deployed. I have already wired the harness to support both.

Nice. Damn, I sure missed out on your wiring talents with my LV. Semaphores on this 28 will be an outstanding addition.

Nice. Damn, I sure missed out on your wiring talents with my LV. Semaphores on this 28 will be an outstanding addition.
Incredibly grateful for Mark being willing to take this special project on!

@Cruiserhiggs is working on the engine now with one of the local machine shops - we are looking for information on the F135 to try to get the motor rebuilt, get parts etc. I have a scanned in version of the FJ25 motor repair manual that has a lot of the info but does anyone know if this is for the F135 or the F120? Want to make sure we are looking at the correct information. Here’s a link to the manual we are looking at

kids and I are on another long summer camping trip, but the body guy just bought a new Pullmax for this project so I’m hoping that starts to move along better. He has his own shop but had planned to use the machine at his employer on nights / weekends but his boss put the kibosh on that so we have been looking for a machine for his home shop and it arrived yesterday. I’m generally an optimist at heart but this project is slowly turning me into a realist (which is what most pessimists call themselves!). I know it’ll get done because I won’t let it stall but I’ve realized I have to just relax and let it move at it’s own pace.

let me know if anyone can confirm that manual’s engine type, or if anyone has any more F135 info anywhere.

Incredibly grateful for Mark being willing to take this special project on!

@Cruiserhiggs is working on the engine now with one of the local machine shops - we are looking for information on the F135 to try to get the motor rebuilt, get parts etc. I have a scanned in version of the FJ25 motor repair manual that has a lot of the info but does anyone know if this is for the F135 or the F120? Want to make sure we are looking at the correct information. Here’s a link to the manual we are looking at

kids and I are on another long summer camping trip, but the body guy just bought a new Pullmax for this project so I’m hoping that starts to move along better. He has his own shop but had planned to use the machine at his employer on nights / weekends but his boss put the kibosh on that so we have been looking for a machine for his home shop and it arrived yesterday. I’m generally an optimist at heart but this project is slowly turning me into a realist (which is what most pessimists call themselves!). I know it’ll get done because I won’t let it stall but I’ve realized I have to just relax and let it move at it’s own pace.

let me know if anyone can confirm that manual’s engine type, or if anyone has any more F135 info anywhere.

Thermostat housing looks different from a F135. I can send the F135 repair manual (1965/66) later via PDF if you need. Currently on a ferry boat with no wifi for the computer.

I believe those red books are early F120 books. The blueish green books are the F135 versions. Basically the same information. I have all of the original books if you need more information.

I just have a few more things to do to your main cowl harness, then it will be time to start tying it up with the harness string like the
OEM harnesses were done. Once you get back, we can go over the final version. Here are the teaser pics of as of today.
20210630_174740W.jpg
20210630_174748W.jpg

It is mostly terminated. Waiting on a heat shrink tube order to finish a couple of things. Also will hold off terminating the rear chassis connector until someone comes up with the clear set. Then we can start figuring out the rear chassis harness. My initial plan is to make a hanress like the 1975 rear chassis harness which has a 6 pin connector in the middle. That way I could make the front half, ship that then you could measure from that center connector to where the harness makes the first turn. Then I can build the rear half to that length.

Last edited:
@scoobiedubes - I have this US reprint of an F engine manual, and the inside rear cover has the print date of Sept. 1966. The content is similar, but not exactly the same as your posted book. The back cover says 'Reprinted in the USA' and appears to have the part number on the back cover, which is: 00400 97213.

Cover.jpg

Back.jpg

BackCover.jpg

The information in your manual is consistent with the 'previous engine' (120HP) specifications listed in the December 14, 1959 Service Bulletin rather than the '1960 engine' (135HP) specifications, for example:

previous engine:
Compression: 7.2 : 1 (manual page 3)
Valve Timing (manual page 9)
Intake Valve opens: 6° BTDC
Intake Valve closes: 42° ABDC
Exhaust Valve opens: 45° BBDC
Exhaust Valve closes: 5° ATDC (6° in the manual)

FJTSB028.jpg

FJTSB026.jpg

The information in your manual is consistent with the 'previous engine' (120HP) specifications listed in the December 14, 1959 Service Bulletin rather than the '1960 engine' (135HP) specifications, for example:

previous engine:
Compression: 7.2 : 1 (manual page 3)
Valve Timing (manual page 9)
Intake Valve opens: 6° BTDC
Intake Valve closes: 42° ABDC
Exhaust Valve opens: 45° BBDC
Exhaust Valve closes: 5° ATDC (6° in the manual)

View attachment 2722251
View attachment 2722250
Thanks! I did get the correct F135 manual thanks to @red66toy and machine shop is “on it”. Fingers crossed.

Teaser photos… Pullmax is up and running, dies are made and these are going to be some nice patch panels I can tell! Learning an awful lot about how steel panels were formed back in the day…

I like how this is going now, I feel more like part of the “body” part of this project than I did at the other shop. Which felt more like i was just purchasing a service. This little bit really helped my anxiety over that whole body shop switching experience. I can tell the end product will make me forget about all the headaches… can’t wait to see some progress.

1625634206555.jpeg

8B58C5E3-1661-4AC9-B0C5-BAF7BDD414DE.jpeg

2CA26CF6-2C3F-4C37-9BC0-FE0E0A0D273C.jpeg

2B58191D-1BF6-40EA-AF4E-B4363BFDA23E.jpeg

9CED363E-DFEB-4AE4-838D-380FF1D01A85.jpeg

Last edited:
Another FJ28 surfaces! This one is in Saudi Arabia, on Instagram. Have to say I’m jealous his body looks to be in much better shape than mine was. Good to see those tail lamps though that’s helpful and I’ve asked him if he can send me more pictures of his interior. Looks like they’ve swapped the front bib. His has the hole in the fender apron for the air cleaner like the 25s had too (mine doesn’t). He’s telling me his is a 1958.

not much for updates on my end. @Cruiserhiggs down at Avid has been waiting on the machine shop to get going on the engine before we get the chassis back together. Had Difficulty finding parts, and the machine shop closing down for a couple months due to COVID, but sounds like maybe they’ll be on it very soon now? Fingers crossed. The body work has been SO much slower than I could have ever expected. It’s in good hands now but it’s a nights and weekends project for this guy and just hasn’t made the progress I’d hoped for, but he’s telling me February for finishing up - I take that with a huge grain of salt. But he’s definitely doing it the right way. Anybody that has kids looking for a career, get them into body work! Pays really well and there aren’t very many good ones around.

8B98076C-D7DC-4045-9342-FF82362C42A8.jpeg

E638C2ED-31E1-4BF5-9FB2-748608470990.jpeg

809D4549-927C-49E3-A6DF-680816798CA2.jpeg

8B01B9DF-1264-44EF-9AD7-2493EC3548CA.jpeg

BF172BFD-FDB9-424E-87AE-1E582E799879.jpeg

Last edited:
I did get the 25 steering wheel restored, as well as the original horns… figured I might as well be working on some of these parts while we wait. The wheel was really rough, I thought it might be a goner but turned out as good as I could have hoped I think (before and after photos)

A009CE8C-9606-46FB-B900-E938E180EBB7.jpeg

FB29490A-85BF-411C-AD91-FF912CAA3BF6.jpeg

AD4B8368-8E29-4EC8-AEB3-A5870876444A.jpeg

7D0DF84B-AF32-48F1-9361-64393EF416E9.jpeg

484CDF82-C217-49F2-9671-E23285002567.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom