Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad to hear that there's some real progress on your 28 Nathan. Looking forward to future pics and thanks for posting these of this 28. I hope you're all doing well brother.

Apologies all for the lack of updates. A lot going on at home these days, we are preparing for a move out of state up to the Tahoe area at the end of this school year, house hunting, getting other properties ready to sell, and all the normal weekly stuff with the kids' lives to juggle. Trying to put together at least one or two of the other 25s (likely sell at least one) in the next few months as well on my own. Looking forward to getting out of the city and back into nature more, and put down some roots there with the family.

I will admit that this 28 has been one helluva stressful and expensive project, and something I would certainly never do again! For those that said "told you so" in the beginning, I should have listened :) I'm ashamed to admit how much it has stressed me out, particularly from the point of last year's Barrett sale of the other restored FJ28 that sold for about what I paid for Lara. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just done nothing to the truck, left it as-is and put it on display somewhere or in storage. Would have saved me a lot of money and stress, but life is full of learning experiences and I am trying to not beat myself up over it too much but rather pave the best path forward from here.

I went down to the fabricator's shop yesterday to have a little "come to Jesus" talk about wrapping his work up in the next two months so I can get it back over to @Cruiserhiggs shop in Mesa to finally start the reassembly process. The issue is this fabricator is a perfectionist, he's used to working on some insanely expensive vehicles and I think has been obsessed with getting this truck to a level that I don't think it needs to get to if its future is really just sitting (hopefully) at the land cruiser museum for others to see and enjoy. Compared to the first shop (hacks) he's the opposite end of the spectrum, I wish I had found someone in-between. We seem to finally be on the same page, so I hope this final budget and deadline sticks as I won't even be in the Phoenix area come May, and I want to give myself a month or so to put together a good scope of work for the reassembly process to happen after the move. Photos right now would really not tell a very good story, so I won't post any until those pieces are all back on as its pretty much all in pieces still.

The good news is all of the exterior panels are done and just need to be put back on, doors hung straight, and then mated to the chassis. The interior we won't probably mess with much anymore, just a few minor and simple things to fix and then hopefully she'll be on her way. Then we have to find a decent body shop willing to take it on to do whatever hammer/fill needs to be done to get it ready for paint. That's really the next "wild card" in the project.

Hope to post more upbeat updates from here on out!

Apologies all for the lack of updates. A lot going on at home these days, we are preparing for a move out of state up to the Tahoe area at the end of this school year, house hunting, getting other properties ready to sell, and all the normal weekly stuff with the kids' lives to juggle. Trying to put together at least one or two of the other 25s (likely sell at least one) in the next few months as well on my own. Looking forward to getting out of the city and back into nature more, and put down some roots there with the family.

I will admit that this 28 has been one helluva stressful and expensive project, and something I would certainly never do again! For those that said "told you so" in the beginning, I should have listened :) I'm ashamed to admit how much it has stressed me out, particularly from the point of last year's Barrett sale of the other restored FJ28 that sold for about what I paid for Lara. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just done nothing to the truck, left it as-is and put it on display somewhere or in storage. Would have saved me a lot of money and stress, but life is full of learning experiences and I am trying to not beat myself up over it too much but rather pave the best path forward from here.

I went down to the fabricator's shop yesterday to have a little "come to Jesus" talk about wrapping his work up in the next two months so I can get it back over to @Cruiserhiggs shop in Mesa to finally start the reassembly process. The issue is this fabricator is a perfectionist, he's used to working on some insanely expensive vehicles and I think has been obsessed with getting this truck to a level that I don't think it needs to get to if its future is really just sitting (hopefully) at the land cruiser museum for others to see and enjoy. Compared to the first shop (hacks) he's the opposite end of the spectrum, I wish I had found someone in-between. We seem to finally be on the same page, so I hope this final budget and deadline sticks as I won't even be in the Phoenix area come May, and I want to give myself a month or so to put together a good scope of work for the reassembly process to happen after the move. Photos right now would really not tell a very good story, so I won't post any until those pieces are all back on as its pretty much all in pieces still.

The good news is all of the exterior panels are done and just need to be put back on, doors hung straight, and then mated to the chassis. The interior we won't probably mess with much anymore, just a few minor and simple things to fix and then hopefully she'll be on her way. Then we have to find a decent body shop willing to take it on to do whatever hammer/fill needs to be done to get it ready for paint. That's really the next "wild card" in the project.

Hope to post more upbeat updates from here on out!
I feel ya, but at least I did all my own metal work so I didn’t have to bare that expense, which is massive. It will be beautiful when done and you may be surprised by the value upon completion or down the road. At least you know it will never depreciate like most modern vehicles.

It will be worth the stress when it's done Nathan. I understand about spending more than expected. As I worked on my LV I saw full LVs in good shape selling for $10K less than I ended up spending on my bodywork and thought that financially I should have gone that route. Because of the history on this LV and the guys who helped here in MUD I couldn't do it. Today after spending more $ than I originally had ever imagined I am happy I stayed with the original. You will be the guy who took a rusted/rotted unicorn and brought it back to life. When you get to that place I'd still like to make you jail bars.

It will be worth the stress when it's done Nathan. I understand about spending more than expected. As I worked on my LV I saw full LVs in good shape selling for $10K less than I ended up spending on my bodywork and thought that financially I should have gone that route. Because of the history on this LV and the guys who helped here in MUD I couldn't do it. Today after spending more $ than I originally had ever imagined I am happy I stayed with the original. You will be the guy who took a rusted/rotted unicorn and brought it back to life. When you get to that place I'd still like to make you jail bars.
Jail bars would be a nice icing on the cake when I finally get to that point! Thanks Gene, I hope you are getting to enjoy your beautiful FJ35! I’ve never been in this project to make any $ on it I just wanted to preserve a piece of Toyota history. So in that sense I’m still on track to accomplish my goal I suppose!

Nate,

Just saw this in Carlsbad Village while eating breakfast. Made me think of you. Keep it up buddy.

0750962E-B9A9-4F15-ACD3-D8A6F1FE2E74.jpeg

Oh boy... this project :notworthy:

So we moved up to the Lake Tahoe area last May from Phoenix. We made the decision in Dec of 2022, so Feb 2023 I went to the body/fab guy's place and had a talk with him. Told him I had X $ left and wanted him to just simply reassemble the truck so I could store it at my garage there in Phoenix. He said he understood and it was no problem, he'd finally get those quarter panels mounted that he made TWO YEARS AGO and get the doors back on etc. A full year later now and he had literally not touched it once since that conversation. The guy really just has no integrity or pride in his work anymore. I finally arranged to just get everything picked up last week and moved to my garage. So there it sits, in pieces... I try not to think about it, really depresses me but I'm also relieved to have it out of his shop finally.

We have a big remodel at our new house that will continue through the summer. I have to be back in Phoenix periodically for work so my hope is to basically bring people over to the garage on those trips to "interview" them about finishing it. Ideally I would have someone finish it on my property, that way I don't end up with a similar situation where it's stuck at another location. That might be tough to find, but I'm frustrated by the people in this body/fabrication industry right now and just want things more on my own terms this time around.

I've though about it far too often, and if I had it all to do over again I would have either just left it as-is as some had advised me (I should have heeded that advice!) or not been so obsessed with doing such a top-notch restoration. A lot of the truck could have been made to look maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10 with good body work rather than so much fabrication to repair all the rough spots. Hope this lesson is a good one for anyone else that takes on a project like this! It WILL still get finished but its more likely a 2025 project at this point. Hope to have someone selected to finish the body work by end of 2024, then maybe I bring it up to Tahoe to put together the finishing pieces. Gotta prioritize the family and the home for now but it will get there eventually!

You should just park it for a while. Stop calling deadlines. There’s no rush. It’s a great project. Lots of good work has been done.
Focus on your house and family first. Some day you’ll notice you have more time and then it’s a good time to get on with it. And probably it will be fun again.

You should just park it for a while. Stop calling deadlines. There’s no rush. It’s a great project. Lots of good work has been done.
Focus on your house and family first. Some day you’ll notice you have more time and then it’s a good time to get on with it. And probably it will be fun again.
yeah pretty much what I've decided, I was mostly stressing out of getting it out of that guy's shop for a while but now that its on my property I can kind of exhale. Eventually I'll find the right person to finish up the body, in the meantime there are more important things to focus on.

@scoobiedubes - Congratulations on the move the the Lake Tahoe area. Hang in there on project Lara. We all go through the full spectrum of emotions, both high and low, on these long term projects. They are just flat out HARD!!!! Lara will come together and be a great addition to your collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom