Your best seat swap into your 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm looking to swap in a powered seat into my 60 series. Power or manual lumbar support seats that are heated.
I'm looking for a seat that will be great for 8 to 12 hours of driving.
Your comments and photos if possible :
Thanks

My wife has an old back injury and I'm an old man, so comfort dictates what seats we are willing to put in. The ease or difficulty of installation is my problem to deal with :eek:

So far the "acceptable" list is:
Volvo S60
Acura TL 2005+
Saab 9-5

We will see what I actually come up with. CL and junkyard trips have yielded some pretty ratty and dirty seats so far.

8-12 hours of driving... don't even think about adding bmw seats to that list lol.

8-12 hours of driving... don't even think about adding bmw seats to that list lol.
Indeed. The seats are one of the primary reasons my wife bought a lexus... she really wanted a BMW but hated the interior. All the seats are too hard and the non-sport seats are too small for someone with longer legs. More like a bar stool with side bolsters :D

I put junkyard Scion xB seats in my 60. A considerable amount of work to get them to mate to the mounts and put the seat at the right height but they are AWESOME.

IMG_0603.JPG

I did a lot of searching here, before deciding to recover my factory seats.
The most popular easy to swap seats are:
PT Cruiser
Volvo
BMW

The oddball easy swaps are:
Isuzu Rodeo
Land Rover Discovery

I'm sure there are many more and almost anything could be made to fit with enough fab work.
There is a member here that swapped in the front and rear seats from a Rodeo. That would be a nice setup, since you wouldn't have to reupholster the rear to make them match.

I have BMW m3 seats in mine and love them. I'd drive 10 hrs in them any day. worlds better than stock. the only issue people have with them is the side bolster is a pain to get over but I'm tall enough it's not a problem for me. sliders as a step would also improve the problem. they have aftermarket seat heaters and are powered. I don't know how they compare to other seats mentioned above but my back doesn't hurt after a long drive anymore. only thing that bugs me right now is they have a weird squeak when i hit a bump. I still have to sort that out
image.jpg

You may have already found this post in your search...but I put BMW e30 series "comfort" seats into my 85 FJ60 a few years ago. Had to make simple brackets. They are very comfortable, but sit high in older 60s. In later 60s and 62s I don't think the height is as much of an issue.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bmw-seats-into-an-85-fj60.499246/

How comfortable any new seat is probably has a lot to do with what else you drive, and just how bad your original seats are.

I have Nissan xtrail seats in Tencha ( pics in Tencha thread in my sign) they are very comfy washable and offer great support the only issue is they are tall so no for small folks

Don't forget 4runner seats,they have adjustments for the head rest tilt,side bolster,lumbar etc. You can get them from 2nd gen. 4runners and SR5 Toyota trucks.
IMAG0531.jpg

I am also looking for seats for my bj60. BMW are nice but the side bolsters look like a pain to get in/out.

The non-sport BMW seats don't have the giant side bolster.
18853136879_2cab2b21a2_z.jpg

Rodeo seats actually weigh more than FJ60 seats and are stout - maybe the only beefy part of a Rodeo. Very hard to find in tan; easy to find in blue. 3 of the 4 seat holes line up (with minor egging out of a hole). Plenty of junk Rodeos (and Honda Passports) in the boneyard. Map pocket on the back of the seat, too. Sits a wee bit higher than stock, but helps visibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom