New Seats! (PT-Cruiser) *Easy* (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking at alternatives to recovering my ripped front seats (Local places want 200+ a seat). While surfin mud for seat swaps I came across someone who had put in pt cruiser seats and said it was a bolt in swap. Not that I don't want to make brackets but I really like the motto "Work smarter not harder".

I went to work searching the local Craigslist type site as well as the local salvage yards for a set of 2000-2005ish seats from a PT-cruiser. Salvage yards were worthless but I found a guy you had "black" leather seats for sale $75 for the front set. Sweat Deal! :cheers: but is a two hour drive. So I called my brother in law to have him go grab them and also called the guy with the seats again and asked if he would take $50 for the set. He agreed! I like to haggle!

Before Cleaning!
Seatsunclean.jpg

After Cleaning
Seatsclean.jpg
Someone had left a break rotor on the seat for a while. I hope this will relax out!

If you didn't notice they are not black! This is a good thing as I was not key on them being black. I would call them a blue grey and in my opinion perfect!

Being the patient guy I am I had to install them right away :wrench:!!!

PasInstalled.jpg

Took me around 2 hours to get the first seat mounted. There are a couple of items I need to take care of for the mounting brackets but should be simple. More info to come!
Seatsunclean.jpg
Seatsclean.jpg
PasInstalled.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the back of the seat.
pasinstallrear.jpg

I installed the passenger first as this is my daily driver and I was not sure how long it would take. This was the trial and mockup so I can document everything on the driver side so people can see how easy this was.

Let me know if you have specific questions but do so knowing I will be posting in the next couple of days the complete install process.

Also this picture really shows you how closely it matched the interior!:clap:
pasinstallrear.jpg

I see what looks like a wiring harness underneath. Are they heated?

I have all ready started looking at my local scrap yard for * pt * cruiser seats. This has peaked my interest. Please keep us posted in how this works out. I like the fact it's a possible " bolt in " swap.

Chris-Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

While they do match, I would buy a pair of used seats for long term driving comfort. But then, how can you really know what is considered long term comfort before buying them?

Wait, never mind. I can ask in the pt cruiser forums and ask there.

For being 29 I've got a pretty bad back , previous damage to L4,5 and S1 vertebrae make it hard for me to sit in uncomfortable seats for long drives
So I was guessing a 20 year update to seats would be worth my time haha

They looks great. Is the color close to the grey interior? Looks like a good fit when looking at your center console!

dbleon said:
Good job.... but putting a Chrysler part into a Landcruiser is like blasphemy!!!

Not if it helps my butt and back feel better , it means i can sit in my 60 longer !!
And maybe wheel a little harder ;)

Drivers side install with details!

I want to start out by saying that this could likely be done with the existing seat sliders but mine were in rough shape so I opted not to. I would maybe be easier to go this route but from the pt-cruiser seats I have there would have been considerably more drilling involved more on this later.

Here is the bottom of the original seat.
Oldbottom.jpg

To start the 4 metal press studs (Sure this is not there actual name) need to be drilled out.
Oldbracketmount.jpg

Drilled out. I used a chisel to cut the excess off.
Mountremoval2.jpg

If you were to take the sliders off the pt cruiser seats I counted at least 4 on one side. Also of note these seemed like very hard steel to me it would be advisable to use some oil when drilling this unless you want to buy a new bit.
Oldbottom.jpg
Oldbracketmount.jpg
Mountremoval2.jpg

The small bottom one is some kind of weld. After drilling the stud out I was able to smack this with a hammer to twist it and break the weld.
mountremoval1.jpg

Needed to drill out the brackets to accept bolts.
redrilledbrackets.jpg

Here is the new seat bottom. (Not heated but I have heard they are available)
Newseat.jpg
Hard to read but the yellow connector is for the air bag. I just cut the wires and put some heat shrink on it. Bottom black connector is for the height adjustment. I had planned to wire this up at a later date for the :princess: but I think it will not be needed but I might still wire this up.
mountremoval1.jpg
redrilledbrackets.jpg
Newseat.jpg

So essentially my stock sliders work perfect , so I would drill rivets out of LC seats and take sliders and attach to the PT seats and rivet accordingly
And then say abracadabra and it should work all perfect

One side installed one side not. the front mount is using a captured nut. The back mount is a bolt through a slot that existed in the slider before.
Installedoneside.jpg
(Front mount is at the bottom of the picture)

I fed the bolt in from the inside of the slide just to be easier to install the nut.
install1.jpg

All four brackets installed.
Fully installed.jpg

I actually plan to put a couple of tack welds on the bracket as well but I do not have a welder available at the moment.

I did take measurements but I did not document them all but I figured that I would have to splay the brackets out just slightly to meet up with the mounting locations inside the truck.
Installedoneside.jpg
install1.jpg
Fully installed.jpg

So essentially my stock sliders work perfect , so I would drill rivets out of LC seats and take sliders and attach to the PT seats and rivet accordingly
And then say abracadabra and it should work all perfect

The difference in width if I recall correctly is that the original seats have the sliders at 15 1/8" the PT cruiser seats were more like 14 1/4" so I am not sure if you could use the same mounting locations on the PT cruiser seat but there is room to move the sliders.

Just sat the seats in the mounts need some adjustment.
backincar.jpg
frontincar.jpg

Seats are all mounted. This is slid all the way back still good leg room. And a nice place to put a map or a magazine!
Rearlegroom.jpg
backincar.jpg
frontincar.jpg
Rearlegroom.jpg

View from the back the front door is closed. Fits like a glove!
Door Clearance.jpg

Here is the center console from the back. The passenger arm rest needs to be up for the console to open all the way.
Centercon.jpg

Front leg room is the same. I think that I gained around 1" of height note this could be because my seat was is sad shape. I could see the sag and the springs on one side so the 1" would likely be less vs a new OEM seat.
frontinstalled.jpg

I am 6' 2" and the seat is still fine...actually greatly improved from the old sad OEM seats. Ohh and the lever under the driver side arm rest is a lumbar adjustment. I took a quick drive around the block and even with my dead rear leaf springs the ride was much improved.
Door Clearance.jpg
Centercon.jpg
frontinstalled.jpg

Here is the view looking in from the front.
Headon.jpg

For you Biche! Plastic on the left is part of the PT cruiser seats and matched the leather.
Colormatch.jpg
I think if the plastic on the console was not faded it would be so close no one would tell. As it is now I am super pleased with how close it matches.

And for kicks here is the view out the front window from my eye line.
driverseat.jpg
Headon.jpg
Colormatch.jpg
driverseat.jpg

Thanks for the pics, I must admit they look pretty good, and for 50$, it's a nice upgrade!

Yes after I fix the T-stat housing I just broke :(
I'm gonna look for heated seats , that would be so wry very nice on these cold ak winters i have every year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom