Your best seat swap into your 60 series (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep us posted. Glad you brought this back. I've got old Subaru seats in my 60, and they are nearly
done. Have you looked at Tacoma seats, or 4Runner?

My local auto wrecker is always in short supply of Toyota trucks so I don't Imagine I will luck out in finding tacoma's or Runners ! but hey who knows ! I'll be going in the next 4 days.
Mac

I have a pair of manual BMW seats with Torfab brackets installed in my 62. Lately, i've come across numerous power seats
(BMW, Volvo, etc ...) at the local salvage yards. It's got me thinking about swapping them for the benefits of power
(adjustment, heated, etc ...) seats.

My main concern is not knowing how to wire them in. Could someone share a write-up (w/pics) on how they wired
their seats into a 60.

Seats usually have a big fat power wire and another fat ground wire.
Just get some leads and star supplying power to pins and see what happens.
Just make sure the airbag in the seat is disconnected if it has one.

I am terrible at electricity, and I got my jeep seats to have power movement, heat, and cooling from the internal fans.
It took 6 wires in total

I have a pair of manual BMW seats with Torfab brackets installed in my 62. Lately, i've come across numerous power seats
(BMW, Volvo, etc ...) at the local salvage yards. It's got me thinking about swapping them for the benefits of power
(adjustment, heated, etc ...) seats.

My main concern is not knowing how to wire them in. Could someone share a write-up (w/pics) on how they wired
their seats into a 60.
Brown Negative, red positive. all the rest are not needed unless heated. for BMW

People never seem to believe me, but I swear by first generation Matrix seats. I've owned my Matrix 11 1/2 years now (since new), have driven hundreds of cars in the course of my jobs, and I've only sat in maybe one or two more comfortable seats over long distances (the current RX seats are the only ones which come to mind). At first, they don't seem that special, but the foam is just the right thickness and density to maintain comfort. It's one of those seats that you just don't notice. I've taken trips of 13+ hours and have never gotten tired or sore. As an added bonus, the passenger seat folds flat with a hard plastic tray on the back.

Put another way: I currently manage a junkyard, have access to hundreds of different seats, yet the Matrix seat is still my choice for my 60.
Hey Ridge Runner,

Thanks for the tip. What year of cruiser did you put them in? Mine is a 10/85 --- bmw E36 seats were too high.

Thanks!

-Ophir

Just scored a Scheel Mann Vario XXL R heated seat off ebay for about $700

Looking at the Recaro Orthoped and Scheel-Mann Vario. Was leaning toward the Recaro's until I recently read an article highlighting Sheel-Mann's integrated seatbelts. I'll contact them this week to see if there are any integrated seatbelt specifics that would negate an install in the 60. If it's a GTG response, then it'll be a win-win. Congrats on the $700 score!

Looking at the Recaro Orthoped and Scheel-Mann Vario. Was leaning toward the Recaro's until I recently read an article highlighting Sheel-Mann's integrated seatbelts. I'll contact them this week to see if there are any integrated seatbelt specifics that would negate an install in the 60. If it's a GTG response, then it'll be a win-win. Congrats on the $700 score!

thanks! Yeah it was pure luck. Just happened to search on eBay one day and just happened to see the seat. Reached out to the seller to see if they would drop at a friends place as they wanted local pickup. All the stars aligned and I’ll collect from my friend place later this spring when I can get down there.

Scheel-Mann company is in Portland, Oregon, I just might need to check them out.
I learned about them about 20 years ago when I saw one in an old Saab at a owners gathering. The seat was like nothing I’d seen before in the quality and design. I think they really are one of the nicest options on the market. Recaro probably being the more well known competitor.

So these seats are $700 each? (I've never seen or heard of them so I am probably exposing my ignorance.) I need new seats as well but I'm not sure I'd pay $1400 for new seats.

Absolutely worth it.

37EC7965-D2E8-4B1E-B2A8-39B97CA6E86E.jpeg

Just scored a pair of 1991 Celica seats at the pick n pull... Look to be very low seat bottoms. Will be trying these in the 40.... They have nice side bolsters too! And $34 for the pair!View attachment 1099078

So these seats are $700 each? (I've never seen or heard of them so I am probably exposing my ignorance.) I need new seats as well but I'm not sure I'd pay $1400 for new seats.
Hah, that's on Ebay. They are more like 2250 each new. :)

Holy Smoke!!I
I added that brand to my possible seat replacement list but after seeing the prince I'll probably delete them.

@dbleon how did you mount them?

I drilled out the and removed the “feet” from the stock chairs. Bolted them onto the mounts to position, set two pieces of flat stock running the width of the feet, welded the feet to the flat stock, and then welded the flat stock to the new chair rails

The one I got runs between $2000 and $2700 new for one depending on materials and options. 😉. That’s why I was pretty excited to get one off eBay for $677. Seller even offered me the bracket but I don’t have a Mazda 3 so I couldn’t use the bracket.

I will post the price list I have tomorrow. It’s a couple years old but should still be close.

@MiyamotoMusashi - if you don't mind. . .what model School-Mann seats are those? They look amazing!
Hey sschruff. I'm doing this from memory but almost 100% sure mine are the Vario F with low bolsters and arm rest with seat brackets by Planted.

I'll say it again...totally worth it. And in the scheme of things that are being planned for this 62, good, supportive and comfortable seats were a big priority for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom