x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I called Clips and Fasteners today, bad news the green clips are discontinued, good news he had box left on the shelve. He sold me the box, so if anybody would need some, I'll give them to you.

I called Clips and Fasteners today, bad news the green clips are discontinued, good news he had box left on the shelve. He sold me the box, so if anybody would need some, I'll give them to you.

That would be great. I will gladly throw some money your way just let me know how much? Thanks!

Let me talk to the postmaster and see the best way of shipping. The plastic clips are cheap, $15 for 50 of them, so don't worry about that. I found I had to heat them in real hot water in order to work everything together. Anybody going to the Pig Party, I'll bring them along.

guess we'd better get those clips to @DoubleNickels for a scan job;)

Hah! Regarding scanning, I've found it's more about the post-scan software you use and less about the actual scanner. 3D Systems makes a few different scanners, and a few years ago they bought Geomagics software. There is no match for Geomagics for going from point clouds (scanning output) to usable files.

I was home for about a day and a half and failed to assess the "correct" diameter for that screw hole that holds on the bezel. Can someone please throw a set of calipers around the screw to tell me the Outer Diameter? I can then size the hole appropriately. Alternatively, if someone has a pin gauge (or a set of drill bits) and could estimate the hole diameter on the stock piece... then I can revise that file as promised. Away from home for work again this week, bleh.

It’s going to be a thread forming screws for plastic of some sort from the factory.

I don’t have a factory screw to measure but guessing it’s going to be somewhere in the 2-3-4 range if someone can confirm screw size.

Edit to add if you know the size hole you put in the first sample and how lose it was on the screw jump down to the next size hole below.:meh:

Screw size Pilot Hole

M2X1.35 1.40 to 1.60

M3X1.50 2.30 to 2.50

M4X1.75 3.20 to 3.45

Sorry I can’t give you the exact size.

Last edited:
7/64" fits just right...I don't have a door apart to check threads.

IMG_3404.JPG

All right! Thanks @scrapdaddy and @J Mack . The model has been revised and is ready to go. I went for a 2.50mm hole since the model tends to print a bit tight on holes.

So now, here is what you do...

1) Download the file from here: HANDLE INTERNAL - FJ55.STL

2) Go to www.Shapeways.com and upload it, be sure to check "Millimeters" for the units and "HP Nylon" for the material. You have the choice of black or grey. Pricing should be about $30 each. If it's WAAAAY more than that then you need to double check that it didn't import in the wrong units. Hard to explain that in this post, so PM me if you're confused. At the end of the day your cart should look like this:

Shapeways-How.jpg

Order one, or ten, and enjoy. One final caveat: the holes that capture the main pin are a little tight. Instead of risking making them too loose (and thus completely useless) I leave it up to the installer to open them up with a bit or broach to the desired size. It's darn simple, don't be scared.

Also, in response to @LAMBCRUSHER , looks like the sintered stainless steel version is ~$90 each ;)

Anyone ping me if you need help.

Last edited:
turn around time is about 2 weeks, from my experience.

Thanks @DoubleNickels - I just placed an order. I also found a discount code - MB7D7 for 15% off. When I get mind I'll update this thread with pictures and experience. The order won't ship until 1/26 approximately.

So we can print in sintered stainless?

Yeah man! I haven't tried it personally but I don't see any issues at all. Sometimes sintered parts end up with ovalized holes (due to how the particles settle when they're being melted), but considering the holes are a bit undersized you will need to do a final drill-through anyways.

Tapping that bezel-attachment hole could be interesting if you go the stainless route, as I doubt the stock screw would do a good job of self-tapping. You could always drill it out and come in through the backside with a drywall screw anchor?

In other words, if you go stainless, start with QTY (1) and see how it works out, before dropping $360 on set of four!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom