Builds Megadoomer Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a lot of help from Steve. We put it together a few times to get the right endplay. I think I could do a rebuild on one now after all that. Hopefully I won't have to for a while.

Did a trip around San Diego today. Mostly freeway and was about 110 miles. Runs good and transmission seems good. The new ac compressor is leaking oil so I had to shut that off. The other thing I want to deal with, is the steering at freeway speeds. It can be a little inconsistent and I think it is how I have the stabilizer mounted. It's a little tipsy and I think I am going to start with a rear sway bar. See what that does for me.

I was really bummed to hear you had problems and weren't going to make the Party. That repair would be a Winter project for me, you guys sure know your snizzle! See you both next year.

I moved my stabilizer to the rear of the axle. I wanted it on the back and out of the way but couldn't make it work. I put it on the front and attached to the drag link. It was at a weird angle and the angle would change as I steered or as the axle articulated. On the freeway in a slight right turn, if I hit a dip or bump it would over steer abruptly. I didnt like that one bit. Didn't seem as bad in a left turn.

Only pick I could find of the way I had it.
20210630_192041.jpg
20210610_165533.jpg

I had to think out of the box and turned the shock around and it misses the brake lines and has a decent angle. I may need to make the bracket longer to get it closer to parallel. A little drive seemed better. I didnt feel the same issue but may not have recreated the situation as well. We will see.

20210630_183144.jpg
20210630_183218.jpg

Just trying to stay on the first page of threads.

No, I am kind of doing things. Starter doesn't start anymore. Stranded me at the Verizon store today. I am just checking off all of the peripherals that came with the engine that needed to be replaced. The alternator is the last man standing.

I have the new-new ac compressor but have not installed it yet. Probably do it this weekend. I need to mess with the prop valve. It is leaking brake fluid a little bit.

Sway bars! I think I have sorted out how I can add one to the front. The logistics of getting the right parts at the right sizes is the challenge right now.

Tension pulleys were worn on my motor and not many miles on it, good to replace. I should have replaced water pump while it was on the stand.

Tension pulleys were worn on my motor and not many miles on it, good to replace. I should have replaced water pump while it was on the stand.
Replaced all peripherals when I did my swaps...starter, alternator, water pump (high volume from heavy duty pickup), thermostat, fan clutch (from heavy duty pickup, locks in earlier) as well as the tensioner pulleys, radiator cap, belts and hoses. Cheap enough insurance and still had starter issues.

Ya, I replaced the water pump, and all pulleys and tensioners while rebuilding the motor. The steering pump never worked, nor did the ac compressor. The starter got about 450 miles and went doodoo. I keep getting a lean code and I guess it is a vacuum leak or something. But it's got me thinking I should just replace the injectors for grins.

Got the new starter in right there in the parking lot. Up n running till the next crisis.

I saw in another section of Mud, people talking about their Cruiser might have more pieces from other cars than anyone. It was mostly different parts from other 60 series donors. I figure most Pigs will have them beat just on keeping parts together on a pig than most any other Cruiser. I wanted to chronicle the eclectic sources that got my Pig to where it is today for prosperity. Just assuming my body and frame are from one pig. So far it has 13 different vehicles. I am unclear on the rear brake calipers. Goolenets says the Rodeo had rear discs, but when I looked up the pads for replacement it came back as Dodge🤷‍♂️

1970 FJ55 body and frame
2003 Chevy K1500 Engine/Trans
1975 Blazer NP205
2002 K3500 Hydroboost
2006 Chevy Express Pump and Steering Reservoir
1978 Bronco Power Steering
1999 Camaro Fuel Pump/sender
2000 Corvette Fuel filter/return assembly
2002 Camaro Oil Pan
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Seats
2006 Nissan Maxima Hand brake
1993~ Isuzu Rodeo Dada 44 rear end
1992 Fj80 front Radius arms

It is still a plan. Probably in a year or more. The Pig was down for the count too long. I still need some mechanical attention to a few items and I really want use the damn thing. It always goes under the knife after the pig parties and doesn't get used enough.

tiny update. I had been trying to figure out how or where I could sneak a sway bar for the front. Then when I figured that out, it was a matter trying to find a unicorn sway bar to match my unicorn Pig. Pigacorn. All the off road options like Anti Rock and others are basically to replace OEM sways bars and it was not going to work out without making changes. At $600 and still having to make and fab things I was gun shy. Then I found a place called Kartek. They are in Corona CA and and have all the parts al-la-cart.

The family took a trip to Magic Mountain for a last of summer hurrah and Kartek turned out to be only a 3 mile detour from our trek home. So I stopped in and got my parts and saved shipping. Hopefully I can start putting it in the pig this weekend.

Kartek is a pretty nice resource for offroad fab and car builds. Even better to be local and get to walk through the place every now and then, always find some of the stuff you didn't know you needed, until it is staring you in the face.

Let's talk about brake light switches.

Mine of an unknown age pooped out when I finished the motor swap in June. Bought one from Napa and was tickled that they had an oem part for a pig.
It looks like this:
20211015_182444.jpg

For some reason the plug in my pig has 2 of the wires cut. The brakes seemed to work fine until a few weeks ago.
20211015_182317.jpg

So I noticed that the switch was working in reverse a few weeks ago. I'd let the button out and the light would go off and then be on when I pushed it in. As I was fiddling with it it kept blowing the fuse. So I bought a new one and that blows the fuse when it is installed but works fine when I push the button while in my hand.

I think it must be grounding out internally and when it is installed it's killing the fuse. Any insight?

Let's talk about brake light switches.
Lets talk about your wiring first, did you rewire the entire pig or is some factory stuff still intact when you swapped engines?
The brake light switch is just a normally open (DPST) Switch and should be un-grounded, not much going on there and easy enough to test.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom