Builds Megadoomer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shocks are filled. Roof racks are complete. Did a few chingaderros here and there. I punted on the roof rot issue. I drenched it inside and out with Corroseal. That will be an after party project.

It drove nice with the shocks sorted out. Now I just need to finish a few things and get some miles in.

This MF broke today
20210619_190328.jpg

It's the front brake line extension. It decided to burst just in the driveway. We were about to put some miles on it after a few other things were complete. Luckily I was driving, but is happening on a Saturday at 6pm really screwed me.

Crown is right down the road and will see if they can make one on Monday. It is probably the fastest way short of someone around San Diego with one hanging out.

The pig is basically complete. I just was hoping to put some miles on it. Haven't been on the freeway yet.

Yeah, I'm with Bob and not on the trip. I never seen a braided brake line break before. Would that have anything to do with the hydroboost system making more pressure?

That line came with the pig. It is the one part of the brake lines that isn't new, and it had been fine with hydroboost for 2 or 3 years.

So it is not all doom and gloom. We will try to get a line made tomorrow morning. Steve will put it in and get the neighbor to help bleed. Hopefully he can put around in it until I can sneak away from work.

The pig is essentially done. On Saturday we put in the hand brake. Was a ball ache but it works well. Raptor lined the floor board repair and the sliders. Put a sweet $40 paint job on the pig. Put the hood on. another ball ache. I have noticed the last few weeks the tasks that seem like they should be a slam dunk are really challenging for some reason.

It doesn't leave a lot of time to drive prior to the trip and I still need to put the tent on the roof. I am not sure if the ladder is tall enough yet. I wanted to do some mods on the inside of the tent for comfort too. I went thru my camping gear today and I think it is ready to go? I am a little stressed.

He's holding back to debut the new green paint job at the party, right?
You are almost correct. I bought some paint that was supposed to be matte black for rally stripes.
20210616_161203.jpg

It's effing green!!!🤮
It went on nice and had a great sheen to it. I thought about it for a bit and decided it was not black enough. That paint in the sun was way more green than what you see there.

I bought satin black from the same company and the sheen is inconsistent. So now it's black but looks s***tier. I will get a better paint after the party.

20210619_201419.jpg
20210619_201436.jpg

Sliders look good tho.

Glad to hear that. I've some Crown brake lines on the Mud Hen they seem to make quality stuff.

Brake line in and bled. Took it for a 40 mile jaunt. I would give it a B+/A-.
Drives well. Straight and smooth. Well smoothish. The front feels good and the back is definitely stiffer than before but still good. No wonky wobble at 80 mph or below. Its not loaded down but its a start. Temp on the freeway stayed at 180 in in 90 degree heat. Only climbed to 185 when climbing a grade while gaining speed. In traffic and around town its just under 190.

The minus points are just 2 minor things. The AC was on then it wasn't. Apparently the new compressor I bought has a faulty wire plug. You giggle it and the clutch engages. Steve will wire that again tomorrow.

The other sounded like a bigger issue than it ended up being. I was getting a rattle sound and it was worse when I turned. Thought new PS pump was having trouble. When we replaced the ac compressor we had to pull the radiator up and we put it back down it was a little off line. When we would turn the fan was rattling the fan shroud. Just loosened it and shifted over a tad and whammy.

All n all, I am happy. Ready for adventure. Tent gets mounted tomorrow.

For those not following the Pig Party thread. I got to Steve's house, well within 500 feet and the transmission stopped working. I was able to limp in to the driveway and by then it had zero motion forward or back.

Went to harbor freight and got a transmission jack and dropped it down.
20210623_122547.jpg

First inspection showed some signs of wear. Haha
20210623_124525.jpg

Got it apart and the thorsen bearing on the front planetary let loose. Planetary is toast.
20210623_135902.jpg
20210623_135908.jpg

Picking up parts tomorrow. Going to put in a new torque converter too.

Transmission is in and a run around town was successful.

The rear main seal was leaking and so was the output on the np205. Got those both changed. Even put 1 more of the seats in. Two more to go.

Had a run around town again and got some donuts for the family. Drives nice still. Took the time today to finish all the seats and modified the skid plate on the transfer case. It didn't quite fit after moving everything back 2 inches. Added a little touch to the air box.
20210626_115914.jpg
20210626_130326.jpg

20210626_130444.jpg

Nice PIG, wish I had the skills to accomplish that tranny repair. I am gonna go check the oil and kick a tire, then unload the H55 out of my truck for the SOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom