LX Headlight Upgrade Database (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtDawg

"It'd be alot cooler if you did"
Threads
After all the recent threads, I just figured I would compile everything into one resource thread for people to use and share their upgrades. It is also a great place to ask questions as I have dealt with about every HID setup on the market, and all the questions can be in one thread for future reference. I am not affiliated with The Retrofit Source, but believe they have the best products and customer service on the market, and have been using them for many years with absolutely amazing results. All prices and links are off of their parts, I cannot assure you that an eBay HID kit will not last as long or perform as well. If your a LC guy, there is some info on headlight upgrades at the bottom of this post.

There are several options for upgrading the LX headlights: (I am only posting the worthwhile upgrades as the stock projectors really don't offer good output even with a clear lens and HID upgrade)

NOTE: Light output pictures should not be used as a comparison, different exposure and camera settings vary too much between pictures. All owners/sources for pictures are shown. I do not own any of these pics.

Meh option:
-Factory Hardware
-HID Bulb Conversion
Cost: ~$150 or less
Parts: H1: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

This is just a basic HID conversion. I suggest a quality kit like linked above over a cheaper amazon/ebay kit. This will be brighter than stock with no modification to your original light housings. IMO this isn't really worth it, I suggest if you don't want to do a full retrofit, at least look into the option below.

Pros:
-More light output than stock
-On the cheaper spectrum of light mods

Cons:
-Possibility of blinding oncoming drivers due to stock projector design.
-Beam gets lost in inclement weather.
-Leaves you wanting more

full

(@FranceJohnson photo from: LX470 headlight bulbs....help me here.)

Better option:
-Factory Projectors
-2.5" clear lens swap
-H1 HID kit
Write Up: LX470 Projector - TSX-R Lens Swap
Cost: ~$190
Parts: 2.5" : FX-R - Clear Lenses from The Retrofit Source
H1: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

This is a decent option that offers substantial improvement over the factory halogen setup. It does require you to separate your headlight housings, but for the budget conscious consumer, this might be the best option.

Pros:
-Sharper cutoff and more light intensity than the non-clear lens option.
-Brighter than stock
-Cost

Cons:
-Seperation of housing is required
-Beam still gets lost in rain and bad weather
-Can blind oncoming drivers is "squirrel finders" are not closed

full

(@Luke111 photo from: New 2006 LX in Virginia)

Best option:
-TSX Projector Retrofit
-D2S HID Kit
-80mm Rubber Caps (dust seal for the rear of the housing as the stock one doesn't fit)
Write Up: Retrofit HID's and TSX Projectors into my LX470
More pictures and info: Lexie the Comfort Cruiser
Cost: ~$350
Parts: D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc
Low Beam: Acura TSX - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source
Rubber Housing Caps - Custom Headlight Build Materials from The Retrofit Source

This is the best option out there and what I am currently running. It provides a clean cutoff with bright, evenly distributed light while (when properly adjusted) doesn't blind oncoming drivers. My windshield is tinted 60% and the light output is still nothing less than stellar. There is an optional clear lens upgrade for the TSX projector, but I preferred the stock lens (2.5" : TSX-R - Clear Lenses from The Retrofit Source).

Pros:
-Bright, full, useable light output
-Easy to source
-Easy to retrofit
-Wide beam pattern

Cons:
-More expensive
-Requires irreversible modification of original projector (not a bad thing)
-More work intensive

full

(@deanfun photo from: Retrofit HID's and TSX Projectors into my LX470)

Other Best Option:
-SC430 Projectors
-HID Kit
Write Up/info:Lexus LX470 retrofitted with Lexus SC430 projectors.
Cost: ?

This is an equal upgrade to the TSX projectors, however the SC430 projectors have proven to be almost impossible to find by myself and other forum members. It is however an easier swap, but still requires you to cut the original projector.

Pros:
-Bright, full, useable light output
-Easy to retrofit
-Wide beam pattern

Cons:
-Same as TSX Cons
-Harder to source over the TSX projector

full

(@silverbullitt photo from: Lexus LX470 retrofitted with Lexus SC430 projectors.)

All the need to know info:

About projectors: TRS 2016 Projectors Tech

About bulbs: TRS 2016 Bulbs Tech

About bulb color: Which HID / LED Headlights color is the brightest ? Is White more brighter or Blue ?

About ballasts: TRS 2016 Ballasts Tech

About clear lenses: TRS 2016 Clear Lenses Tech

Additional parts/suggestions:

I suggest that if you are going to separate your housings, to buy some extra butyl to make sure you seal the housings back up well. Butyl: Morimoto RetroRubber Butyl Glue - Custom Headlight Build Materials From The Retrofit Source

Additional threads:
LX470 Headlight Alternate Experience?
LX 470 City Slicker Upgrades
LX470 Headlight Bulb Upgrade- Pics
LX470 headlight bulbs....help me here.

For the LC guys that came here searching for answers:
If interested in upgrading bulbs only, I would suggest HIR bulbs. I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO NOT PUT HIDS IN YOUR STOCK HOUSINGS. The stock housings are not made for HID bulbs and you WILL blind oncoming traffic. If interested in the best option, a retrofit is the hands down the most light output. LC upgrades discussed more here: Headlight Upgrade Options

I am sure I'm missing some stuff and will continue to update as more info is provided. I also do retrofits as a side business, but it is usually only to people local to me. However if you are interested in a retrofit but don't have the time, pm me.

Last edited:
Dude you rock!

Make me wish I had an LX, :(

Love some HIDs. Just can't spend it on the LC at the moment.

Thanks for pulling that all together. When I did my TSX retrofit it was a bit of a struggle between all the different threads, opinions and the mishmash of LC/LX content.

Epic thread my brother. Now we just need to sticky threads like this. There is so much info on this form and organizing it would be a long but worthwhile process. I have found the search function is less than stellar unearthing answers just simply because there is so much stuff. More stickies on the hot topics like this would help greatly. Thanks for taking the time DD.

Thanks everyone

Epic thread my brother. Now we just need to sticky threads like this. There is so much info on this form and organizing it would be a long but worthwhile process. I have found the search function is less than stellar unearthing answers just simply because there is so much stuff. More stickies on the hot topics like this would help greatly. Thanks for taking the time DD.
@Trunk Monkey taking suggestions? Lol. I wouldn't mind compiling all the important/relevant tech articles into one sticky database, but alas I am not a moderator and doubt I ever will be.

With that being said, I can usually find things easily with the search bar as long as I restrict my search to the 100-series section and set the search preference to "relevant" instead of "most recent". But I do agree there are many tech articles that should be in the sticky and some articles that aren't of great importance. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone

@Trunk Monkey taking suggestions? Lol. I wouldn't mind compiling all the important/relevant tech articles into one sticky database, but alas I am not a moderator and doubt I ever will be.

With that being said, I can usually find things easily with the search bar as long as I restrict my search to the 100-series section and set the search preference to "relevant" instead of "most recent". But I do agree there are many tech articles that should be in the sticky and some articles that aren't of great importance. :rolleyes:

I have not used the relevant button....crap all this time! It would be nice to have all the tech pearls listed in a sticky maybe one of our esteemed mods have an idea? I would not mind helping where I can.

Thanks but I am not going to go through the mod to HID unless I had new lens assemblies to put them in.

So add about 400 to that. I have a newish lens on the pass side from the PO and the original lens which has many many miles on it and shows. Lol...

I researched the heck out of TRS when I first got my Tacoma and am fond of all they have and do for HID. All in the correct way to benefit from the technology.

That is what I'm talking about. a big shout out to DirtDog:beer:

Haven't read all (or even a small portion) of the relevant threads as so voluminous, but does this info also correlate to the LC's?

That is what I'm talking about. a big shout out to DirtDog:beer:

Haven't read all (or even a small portion) of the relevant threads as so voluminous, but does this info also correlate to the LC's?
The specific LX threads and swaps do not. However this is a great place to learn about the basics of projectors and HID systems. At the bottom I posted a thread discussing some options for LC guys.

I could potentially create a thread for the LCs or even add on to this one if people are interested.

Thanks but I am not going to go through the mod to HID unless I had new lens assemblies to put them in.

Or you could recondition your current ones. I'll be sanding down, polishing and re-sealing my lenses when I do my retrofit. Fraction of the cost of new lenses.

Not sure the kit that I used on my fog lights could work on my glass lenses, guess I could give it a shot.

Now we just need to sticky threads like this. There is so much info on this form and organizing it would be a long but worthwhile process. I have found the search function is less than stellar unearthing answers just simply because there is so much stuff. More stickies on the hot topics like this would help greatly. Thanks for taking the time DD.

I have not used the relevant button....crap all this time! It would be nice to have all the tech pearls listed in a sticky maybe one of our esteemed mods have an idea? I would not mind helping where I can.

There's already the FAQ at the top that's full of threads just like this, sorted by topic. Stickying every thread would make the front page unusable since you'd have to scroll down past 50 stickies to get to the new threads. When a thread like this gets to the point where there's a compilation of valuable information or a detailed write-up of a fix or mod, then just ping a mod and we can add it to the FAQ.

DirtDawg: First, apologies re the misspelling of your handle:bang:

Regarding the LC specific thread you offered, I'm all for it. But realizing it takes a lot of time, probably should hold off unless other interested parties chime in. Your call and thanks!

There's already the FAQ at the top that's full of threads just like this, sorted by topic. Stickying every thread would make the front page unusable since you'd have to scroll down past 50 stickies to get to the new threads. When a thread like this gets to the point where there's a compilation of valuable information or a detailed write-up of a fix or mod, then just ping a mod and we can add it to the FAQ.
Didn't mean to say to add this to the stickies, but to the FAQ. I think that was the point everyone was trying to make.

Copy that! Thanks for your service

@DirtDawg kind of a curveball: New to me '02 LX. PO installed an "eBay special" and after owning the truck for three months one of the angel eyes and one of the sets of LED "side markers" have died...don't know when he installed them thus cannot comment on longevity.

Starting from a non-stock position, pursue replacement parts from Eagle Eye Lights? Start over with a new kit? Sad to find this awesome thread and realize I don't have the OEM gear to make use of it.

The manufacturer website is nonsense so I'm unsure what, if any, product support is to be expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom