LX Headlight Upgrade Database (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To update the thread: MUD user @Luke111 is in the process of designing and producing a bracket to mate multiple projectors to the LX housings. This opens up many more retrofitting possibilities, and can even reduce price, despite having to buy the bracket as well. Once the bracket goes into production I will update page 1 with the info.

Current thread:
LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET

"THIS IS YUGGEEE" - Donny Trump

Here is my light output.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What is up with those cracks? I have them in mine too, more-so on the PS than the DS...

What is up with those cracks? I have them in mine too, more-so on the PS than the DS...

My assumption is from clear protection and hid heat and sun heat combined.
I have no actual proof, but I believe they are stress cracks due to the different expansion qualities of the lenses and protective film. I don't think this is as big of an issue on plastic housings, but apparently it is. I have seen this several times when using a protective film like 3M on glass housings, but only once before on plastic.

Last edited:
I have no actual proof, but I believe they are stress cracks due to the different expansion qualities of the glass and protective film. I don't think this is as big of an issue on plastic housings, but I have seen this several times when using a protective film like 3M on glass housings.
Mine are plastic and , if I'm correct, @looking4lc 's are too...

Mine are plastic and , if I'm correct, @looking4lc 's are too...
Yes... my bad, post edited above to be more clear. It's finals time of the year in school right now, so I was a little brain dead when I made that post.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with not giving the protective film enough time to "cure" before using the lights. Moisture could still be trapped between the lenses and film and cause the cracking. All I know is after everything I've seen, I never recommend protective film on headlights.

For those of you who want to know what the "meh" HID option looks like on a 2001LX with 5500K bulbs and 35w ballast (stock projectors/lenses), see below.

Lights.jpg

Has anyone used this kit? Looks cool with the black and angel eyes ring.

HID Xenon + 98-07 Lexus LX470 CCFL Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights - Black

thread about those lights here

LX470 Headlight Alternate Experience?

No one posted a light beam shot of them new one though. Would be nice of the aftermarket used low beam 9005/6 bulbs instead of the c clip in style H1 bulbs.

I'm using DDM 35w 5k HID kit in my stock 01 glass headlights. Seems good enough for now, pretty defined cut off w/ squirrel finder reflections above. They do flicker on heavy wash boards off road. I think the light clip goes weight less and losses the ground connection. I need to get back in there and see if I can vibration proof the connection better.

Need to do more research, but this seems to ba a pretty definitive thread. I’ve had my 2000 LX for a week now only really drove it once at night. That was through a construction zone I’m familiar with and never had any issues before. The low beams don’t get far enough out for me to see the turns in time. Had to slow waaaay down. Kinda scary.

Not real familiar with headlights and their components. I’m going on a trip next weekend that will be 9 hours driving in the dark. Is there anything I can get and do in that time? I really only want the low beams to project further. I’d guess their cut off now is 3-4 car lengths.

Ultimately I’ll do a retrofit, but am looking for something quick that I can buy local. Would a better bulb help with the issue? I don’t mind throwing 50 bucks at it for this trip. Or is it an adjustment issue with the headlight, it really seems unsafe as is.

Thanks

Novice question added to an old thread. Like @Megalodon above, for now I'm looking to simply replace OEM halogens with a better bulb until I'm ready for a bigger upgrade. I see both 9006 and H1 listed as OEM bulb size for low beams here on Mud and in my 2006 LX owners manual. Which is right? Thanks all.

Novice question added to an old thread. Like @Megalodon above, for now I'm looking to simply replace OEM halogens with a better bulb until I'm ready for a bigger upgrade. I see both 9006 and H1 listed as OEM bulb size for low beams here on Mud and in my 2006 LX owners manual. Which is right? Thanks all.
9006 if for the land cruiser model. H1 is for the LX470 model. Both use 9005 for the high beams.

9006 if for the land cruiser model. H1 is for the LX470 model. Both use 9005 for the high beams.
Thanks (and interesting if true). My Lexus manual says bulb type is 9006, but also that it’s a H1 halogen.

I gotta say, trying to solve the headlight issue in my wifes 2000 LX470 has left me with more questions than answers. Went through several threads and I have no idea what to do. I don't want to be trendy, cool, bright, or any other adjective for that matter, I just want to be able to see more than the lane I'm in, the lane next to me/shoulder and 4-5 stripes on the road in front of me.... I just want to SEE. (also don't want to risk the lives of people going the opposite direction) I think I'll just start with new bulbs, or whatever I'm supposed to get that fits, because my '97 4Runner is much safer to drive at night. I hate that my second post here is a rant but man, good luck finding a decent headlight solution. I will say that it might just be me because every other topic of debate, so far, around here has been great and I'm able to read it all then form my own plan/opinion based on what I've read, good or bad. No such luck with the headlights. Might've just answered my own question.

I gotta say, trying to solve the headlight issue in my wifes 2000 LX470 has left me with more questions than answers. Went through several threads and I have no idea what to do. I don't want to be trendy, cool, bright, or any other adjective for that matter, I just want to be able to see more than the lane I'm in, the lane next to me/shoulder and 4-5 stripes on the road in front of me.... I just want to SEE. (also don't want to risk the lives of people going the opposite direction) I think I'll just start with new bulbs, or whatever I'm supposed to get that fits, because my '97 4Runner is much safer to drive at night. I hate that my second post here is a rant but man, good luck finding a decent headlight solution. I will say that it might just be me because every other topic of debate, so far, around here has been great and I'm able to read it all then form my own plan/opinion based on what I've read, good or bad. No such luck with the headlights. Might've just answered my own question.
I went through the same period of indecision. Ultimately, I bought Lou’s kit, though I haven’t installed it yet, I trust his recommendation- https://lbbuiltwerks.com/shop/ols/products/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-h1-70-stage-iii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom