Mergescreen for Nav upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have experience or opinion on this:

I just acquired a 2006 LC - replacing my 2001 LX470 (previous 1997 LX & 1992 LC). Like many here, I’d like to upgrade the 1969 Moon Landing rear camera and Nav/Phone/Stereo. I’ve read about what seems to be a hassle retaining function of the original HVAC control, and JBL amp/stereo system with Grom, T’Eyes and others.I don’t care about the cassette player, nor the console mounted CD Changer.
I hadn’t considered spending this much ($500-700 for Grom or T’Eyes + install) nor the giant @$$ screen, but it looks interesting.
Just want to be able to have a useable backup camera, hands free & ability to play music through the vehicle.
I spotted the above system on a recently sold LC on BAT. Their website claims that ALL SYSYEMS are retained
I have scoured this Forum and can’t seem to get the answers I’m looking for.

Thanks,
Chris

IMG_0716.jpeg

I mounted an iPad Mini 4 w/Cell and use it split screen for Nav and OBDFusion. I also have Spotify running on it connected to Grom's BT unit. Total install time would be about an hr to add in the Grom unit and the panavise mount. I now have modern tech that I can replace as new options are released and the truck retains all factory systems + a nearly factory look.

Have my phone connected to BT through the inexpensive BT45-Toy adapter available at crutchfield and installed a very clean looking rearview mirror/backup camera from Master Tailgaters. Only real "mod" I had to do was to slightly grind the included puck for the aftermarket mirror and epoxy it to the existing mounting point on my 2003 LC windshield. I really wanted the Tesla thing too but just couldn't convince myself that it was worth the headache of install.

Edit: Just realized yours already apparently has a backup camera. The one I installed I doubt is much better. High def but only 1/2 the rearview shows pic. I'm sure your screen is bigger. Good luck

Have my phone connected to BT through the inexpensive BT45-Toy adapter available at crutchfield and installed a very clean looking rearview mirror/backup camera from Master Tailgaters. Only real "mod" I had to do was to slightly grind the included puck for the aftermarket mirror and epoxy it to the existing mounting point on my 2003 LC windshield. I really wanted the Tesla thing too but just couldn't convince myself that it was worth the headache of install.

Edit: Just realized yours already apparently has a backup camera. The one I installed I doubt is much better. High def but only 1/2 the rearview shows pic. I'm sure your screen is bigger. Good luck
Thanks for the reply. Yes, have factory Nav/Camera - just terrible picture quality & no guidelines. (Better than my ‘01 LX - no camera).
BT45 is an option - presently using an Amazon cheapie, via FM tuner. It can be hardwired and would probably deliver acceptable audio vs. continuous static.
Factory Nav is no longer supported and cannot be updated.
I’m an ardent Google Maps user and it would be nice to be able to integrate with vehicle.

I mounted an iPad Mini 4 w/Cell and use it split screen for Nav and OBDFusion. I also have Spotify running on it connected to Grom's BT unit. Total install time would be about an hr to add in the Grom unit and the panavise mount. I now have modern tech that I can replace as new options are released and the truck retains all factory systems + a nearly factory look.
Do you have pics of this setup?

rhetoric, very interesting mount. I can't see clearly how the mount anchors to a fixed point?

Also, any bounce when on rough tracks?
You have to remove the trim around the lower radio/defrost buttons. It screws into the dash there, then the trim is put over the top.

Bouncing is... fine-ish due to the weight of the iPad and the length of the extension. Switching the orientation to landscape did help when compared to vertical. I do mostly highway duty but over rougher terrain it still works great. AKA: the iPad has never fallen out of the device. Vibration is far less when a phone is used.

You have to remove the trim around the lower radio/defrost buttons. It screws into the dash there, then the trim is put over the top.

Bouncing is... fine-ish due to the weight of the iPad and the length of the extension. Switching the orientation to landscape did help when compared to vertical. I do mostly highway duty but over rougher terrain it still works great. AKA: the iPad has never fallen out of the device. Vibration is far less when a phone is used.
Nice. is the "screw in piece" custom or an aftermarket item? if aftermarket, can you post source/pn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom