Lucy Liu, a long overdue 5.3 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indeed, I added PN 81110 60P70 - tuckers work without any problems as far as I know
To ‘trigger’ your lights to come on, are you using the old OEM female plug from the driver side or the passenger side?

To ‘trigger’ your lights to come on, are you using the old OEM female plug from the driver side or the passenger side?
Driver side, the passenger has been left unused

at least that’s how i read the Toyota H4 harness wiring diagram

Ok, that’s how I have mine also. So, that’s not the issue.

What happens when you take the lights that "don't work" and hook them directly to the battery for both hi and lo beam? (Let's get this out of the way.)

I’ve been wicked lazy with troubleshooting the lights because I’ve been chasing a few things:

The truck made sure to let me know the non-OEM U-Joint I replaced a few years ago wasn’t going to be tolerated anymore...sounded awful. So today I dropped the shaft and Monday two new Matsuba joints from Cruiser Outfitters are going in for good measure.

While I was down there I attached @shipmag ’s braided T-case bypass line and flushed the oil. Thankfully there wasn’t much metal on the magnet so small miracles do exist.

Very pleased with the bypass line. For those that don’t know, when the inner seal from the trans to the T case starts to go, oil leaks down into the T case. The bypass sends that oil back into the trans as it runs fill plug to fill plug. This is CHEAP INSURANCE and is very easy to install.

Shout out to Amsoil for making the best oil container I’ve ever used. They’re like giant juice boxes you can squeeze into any tight place. No more stupid bottles or pumps. Highly recommend

Next project is lights & cleaning up my axle housing for paint

Happy Easter everyone

27E19C2A-982E-4D82-A261-5F6C87455C3C.jpeg

The rig is moving under its own power again

Two new Matsuba U-Joints on the rear shaft - thanks to Cruiser Outfitters

8 new nuts from Toyota for the shaft flange bolts, as the originals were deformed from years of hard use and weren’t really 14mm anymore

For those that just want the nuts, and not the entire bolt/washer/nut kit Toyota sells it’s part number 90179-11005.

830ADBDA-557D-47C4-BA69-DA32196FEFE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Just realized how close we are to each other. Who did the body work? I'm in Providence and am currently looking for a shop. Yours looks great!
It was a local guy but given that it took them 11 months, you’re probably better off elsewhere.

I got a fantastic paint job sure, but I waited quite a long time for it partly because the work was so tedious and no an “insurance check”

If I did it again it try to get in touch with @kelly saad - a mud number who I wish I knew before I had my work done. You want someone who appreciates these trucks and doesn’t look at it as much of a labor and more of a canvas

Build Update,

recently had a few things ironed out with the truck In order to make the 1800 mile trek to Solid Axle Summit 5.

What started with a dyno tune turned into a full blown transfer case rebuild shortly afterwards..everything has since been replaced. Basically was a victim of worn bearings in the case, which caused a gear to kiss my oiler and kaboom 💥

Pretty thrilled with the end result
- Completely new transfer case gear set, half shafts bearings etc…the head, the tail, the whole damn fish
- Sumo 3:1 Low Range gears courtesy of Cruiser Outfitters
- Extended Input Gear courtesy of Cruiser Brothers

End result is zero drive line slop and hopefully it’s good for years to come.

the H55/V8 combo with the 3:1’s is gnarlyyyy and very much worth the effort. When replacing all my gears it cost me $75.00 more to make the jump over the standard gears. For those of you on the edge, just do it

one thing I will note is that my OEM Allen drain plug will NOT fit in the transfer case with the bigger gears, it goes too far into the case and kisses the gear. So I’m using the stock plugs instead

D5BC1237-3E4F-45C4-9442-3C5833004503.jpeg

F52C93E0-EF90-4F98-B625-4405A67A516C.jpeg

Build Update,

recently had a few things ironed out with the truck In order to make the 1800 mile trek to Solid Axle Summit 5.

What started with a dyno tune turned into a full blown transfer case rebuild shortly afterwards..everything has since been replaced. Basically was a victim of worn bearings in the case, which caused a gear to kiss my oiler and kaboom 💥

- Completely new transfer case gear set, half shafts bearings etc…the head, the tail, the whole damn fish

the H55/V8 combo with the 3:1’s is gnarlyyyy and very much worth the effort. When replacing all my gears it cost me $75.00 more to make the jump over the standard gears. For those of you on the edge, just do it

one thing I will note is that my OEM Allen drain plug will NOT fit in the transfer case with the bigger gears, it goes too far into the case and kisses the gear. So I’m using the stock plugs instead

View attachment 2718511

View attachment 2718512
Your oil slinger looks chundered.

Glad 🔻⚙️ we’re ordered. You’ll be hoping for 4:1’s soon enough.

Build Update,

View attachment 2718511

View attachment 2718512
If the 3:1's are anywhere near as nice offroad as the 4:1's I just put in, you are going to be STOKED that you did the upgrade. The lower gearing totally changes the drive.

@EasternYeti trying to put together a parts list for a pending LS swap. Which Be Cool Radiator did you use as well, could you help me understand with the Marks Kit part 713025-EK it says designed to be used with their clutch, pressure plate, etc but did you reuse the stock H55F parts and this isn't any issue?

great lookin rig!!! Where did you pick these items up at? Thanks!!!

1. New rubber on all doors and windows (Thanks PRP)
  2. New OEM Tail Light Assemblies
  3. New OEM Hood Liner
  4. The Side rear view mirrors?

If the 3:1's are anywhere near as nice offroad as the 4:1's I just put in, you are going to be STOKED that you did the upgrade. The lower gearing totally changes the drive.
whats the difference between 3.1s and 4.1s? Im getting the 4.1s myself with LS3 swap...

whats the difference between 3.1s and 4.1s? Im getting the 4.1s myself with LS3 swap...
33% lower 1st gear in low.

If you go up/down steep stuff lower transfer case gears are sweet.

great lookin rig!!! Where did you pick these items up at? Thanks!!!

1. New rubber on all doors and windows (Thanks PRP)
  2. New OEM Tail Light Assemblies
  3. New OEM Hood Liner
  4. The Side rear view mirrors?
1. PRP has everything you need leme know if you need a link
2. From a mud member, these are harder to find than I thought
3. Hoodliner was from Wellsely Toyota , they take good care of me there
4. Mirrors are off a 70 series, City Racer LLC used to carry some - keep an eye on site

Little update before a big update

Put two sets of matching parking lights on the truck. Both the lenses and the gaskets are still available new from Toyota

Next pots ready to boil over the next few weeks:
- OEM Key set from Toyota Matt (Driver / passenger / ignition)
- New Exhaust Manifolds
- Front Leaf Springs

Looking for a way to consolidate my relays, I have maybe 8 of them in the engine bay into a weather sealed box, and curious to see what everyone else is using to keep relays nice and tidy?

E85FA8F9-B134-4273-BB22-3073C54C06A9.jpeg

@EasternYeti James here is what I did on my 60. Installed a 80 amp aux circuit breaker for my low intensity aux items, and a aux fuse box…and to your point a 6 relay box to house my relays. Installed the box on the firewall next to the wiper motor. Did this almost 4 years ago & so far it has been flawless. Have since added a rear locker & upgraded to a larger ARB compressor. Also installed this same unit on my 40.

I bought a 6 relay box…only currently using 4 relays. As I remember they also have a 8 & 10 relay box. It was a pain to wire up…but actually pretty straightforward. All the involved dash switches go directly to the relay box with the relays wired directly to the battery.

My 4 relays power the following: 1) A switch that powers my Ham, CB & ARB Fridge. 2) My Hella 4K bumper lights. 3) My ARB Compressor & Rear Locker. 4) This goes directly to my OEM Starter Solenoid.

Let me know if you have any questions.

BDE07A25-EA2A-432A-ADFC-00E85C51B735.png

0D7DA59B-9E08-4A23-80F5-C339209D3EA3.png

D785EBE3-6D1B-4C06-A691-969F52FC1E7B.png

03C3600F-39E3-4893-B748-22D750A95F2A.png

1B010B76-D5B3-4CAB-9FEA-6667E4FBDD25.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom