Lucy Liu, a long overdue 5.3 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s been a day but I snagged some long overdue pictures. It’s good to have her home.

254 days later and she’s finally free from the clutches of the autobody shop with three base coats of freeborn red and five coats of clear.

I need to get better photos of the front valance rockers, and the hood because they’re exceptional.

There are some people on here who saw the truck as it was before, and know it was akin the surface of the moon. Never knew looking across a perfectly smooth hood could solicit a smile on its own

54D0EBD4-A3BB-4BA7-9958-EB71A83FD061.jpeg

2D8ECE22-382E-4384-9A53-363A56DFA117.jpeg

C769F894-1A2C-4291-9CDF-D54B0EEA388D.jpeg

F4254635-516D-4908-92DA-721BFDF56A79.jpeg

21B104AE-F7B8-402A-8311-09E8A7C61B68.jpeg

Some things that were added/changed in between
  1. Welded up all the mounting holes for headlight washers and snake blinders - It really is a shame the ARB hides it
  2. Pulled the seam on the roof and reapplied new the sealer prior to repaint
  3. Pulled the doors and painted the interior skins, fixed any and all corrosion.
  4. New rubber on all doors and windows (Thanks PRP)
  5. New Headlight Bezels, Grill, and rubber gaskets for all of it.
  6. New OEM Tail Light Assemblies
  7. Sealed any and all holes that brought moisture into the cab
  8. New 4Runner Front Wipers / 80 Series Rear
  9. New OEM Hood Liner
  10. Trail Tailor Stainless Steel B Pillars
  11. 70 Series Sun Visors
  12. Aftermarket mudflaps with custom hardware: I struggled with this initially but they came out excellent. They're rigid and only larger than the originals by a few inches which means they actually work and my new paint isn't chewed up. Not quite "Bro" and thankfully lowkey enough to where they blend in with the rest of the body. I'll get some better photos of these soon.
  13. 2 New deep cycle dual batteries (if anyone feels inclined to leave them in the truck while it's dropped off at the shop for an extended period id recommend you don't - Mine were toast)
Tasks currently in development
  1. Full front end rebuild ( Knuckles / Hubs / Brakes )
  2. Clean up some wiring and repaint the fuse box tray
  3. Clean up the front axle and paint w/ POR15
  4. Troubleshoot locker seals on both axles - cant tell if they're dry or if the O-Rings gave up the ghost after 7 years

Things that still need to be done
  1. Reupholster front seats
  2. Source and Install Hoodstruts
  3. Weld T-Pins to the rear bumper swingouts
  4. Carpet - When my OCD finally cant take it anymore

Last edited:
Nice! Details on the floor mats?
I spent a while looking at early Toyota trucks with floorpans similar to our cruisers. After a while I narrowed it down to early pickups and first gen 4Runners based on some photos.

Then I looked for any company claiming to make molded mats for early Pickups / 4Runners - as you may imagine that list is so small it’s almost non-existent. Thankfully Husky does make a set in both grey and back - and their website shows pictures of their actual products. With this in mind I could see it was pretty close to what I wanted - raised lips on the edges, and a stepped design on the floor, so I took a gamble and bought some.

The end result is shown below.

Pros: These Mats are durable and are definitely just as good as any weather tech product I’ve owned in my other vehicles, the bottoms have large spikes so they don’t move at all, and the design captures water instead of slowly draining it onto your carpet

Cons: These are designed as molded mats, not trim to fit - however for our purposes here trimming them works to our advantage without ruining their functionality.

The image with red markup is directly from husky, and shows the specific mats you get. The red marks are 90% accurate to where I needed to trim to get them to fit my truck. You will need a heavyduty pair of shears with cutting blades to do this

Note: There wasn’t anything I trimmed that ruined the “pan” of the Mat - only some high edges that had some unnecessary overlap that cause my map pockets on my doors to bump.

Some here might balk at the idea of trimming mats you pay 75 bucks for, which is understandable. However, the finished product is the best solution I’ve had in ages

Husky Mat 35002 / 35001

Husky Liners Fits 1990-95 Toyota... Amazon product ASIN B000CMKE6Q

62F4DDB8-7917-4713-B636-60DCFDCF8375.jpeg

875E6A02-A921-4D9A-89A9-8A81692FD57F.jpeg

B9910AC8-A384-4C04-B52B-7E890B07E58F.jpeg

2D6ED831-C1D3-48C3-97C7-BF335509D4AD.jpeg

James, your truck looks outstanding!

I just ordered the front floor mats using the Amazon link you provided and was also able to get the fronts for $79. Tip for those wanting to order these:

Be quick and use the link @EasternYeti provided. When I just put the part # in and went to Amazon, most were out of stock or if they had it the price was $97.

If you want these, be quick & use the link...when I just now ordered said they only had 2 in stock.👍

James, your truck looks outstanding!

I just ordered the front floor mats using the Amazon link you provided and was also able to get the fronts for $79. Tip for those wanting to order these:

Be quick and use the link @EasternYeti provided. When I just put the part # in and went to Amazon, most were out of stock or if they had it the price was $97.

If you want these, be quick & use the link...when I just now ordered said they only had 2 in stock.👍
Thanks John! the mat debacle drove me crazy for a long time so I’m glad I won’t have slush on my carpets anymore

75.00 is way better than the $300.00 for the full lloyds set

It’s been a day but I snagged some long overdue pictures. It’s good to have her home.

254 days later and she’s finally free from the clutches of the autobody shop with three base coats of freeborn red and five coats of clear.

Yes Sir, James, we can all agree that it indeed looks great. Here’s one of your above pic and a few ‘Before’ that you might remember! Quite a difference.🆘🇺🇸👍 @EasternYeti

7EC7C4BF-0182-4E4A-B80F-BD53B0AEB2BB.jpeg

0E8F8D37-3FD2-41BC-9297-3E8E404F045A.png

3E29C33A-6C9C-4EEF-ABA7-50D0CEB1F3B4.png

542C82AD-AE1B-4815-A81A-BBA2D9EDE905.png

AC6213B9-22B7-4E45-AD56-9CFAF32BAA1D.png

Yes Sir, James, we can all agree that it indeed looks great. Here’s one of your above pic and a few ‘Before’ that you might remember! Quite a difference.🆘🇺🇸👍 @EasternYeti

View attachment 2557938

View attachment 2557939

View attachment 2557940

View attachment 2557941

View attachment 2557942
You know how much those off color doors drove me absolutely crazy! So glad I don’t look at that anymore

Need to hunt down some sliders for the rockers and quarters before the next trip to Ouray

((((((((Exhales))))))))

Really pleased with OEM replacement hard lines and wheel studs. The real trick was installing speed bleeders into the new calipers, basically let’s you bleed solo and doesn’t let any air back in the line (due to an internal one-way ball valve). For under 15 dollars anyone would benefit from having these. Linked to the model that fits our calipers

Russell 639560 Speed Bleeder

Amazon product ASIN B000CPCOAM

Four coats of red paint on the new calipers should keep the rust at bay for a time, and I picked up some coated rotors to keep the rust off them as well.
Something I’ve learned to loath through this process: rusty C-Clips on the brake line junction. Broke one and it ended up loosening up the line fitting as I made my way home - basically the trucks way of saying it wasn’t thrilled to be living outside again

Current temps in Massachusetts: 1° with windchill

72A5D223-F479-4A82-BFD8-91880F10D2AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, James...these will fit the front brakes on OEM brake calipers on our 60’s correct? Pls verify & I’m on it.

Not stalking your build...but recently purchased the floor mats at your suggestion...now on to the these👍🇺🇸.

Last edited:
Ok, James...these will fit the front brakes on OEM brake calipers on our 60’s correct? Pls verify & I’m on it.

Not stalking your build...but recently purchased the floor mats at up your suggestion...now on to the these👍🇺🇸.
Front and rear..... well worth it if your solo

((((((((Exhales))))))))

Really pleased with OEM replacement hard lines and wheel studs. The real trick was installing speed bleeders into the new calipers, basically let’s you bleed solo and doesn’t let any air back in the line (due to an internal one-way ball valve). For under 15 dollars anyone would benefit from having these. Linked to the model that fits our calipers

Russell 639560 Speed Bleeder

Amazon product ASIN B000CPCOAM

Four coats of red paint on the new calipers should keep the rust at bay for a time, and I picked up some coated rotors to keep the rust off them as well.

Something I’ve learned to loath through this process: rusty C-Clips on the brake line junction

Something I’ve learned to loath through this process: rusty C-Clips on the brake line junction

Broke one and it ended up loosening up the line fitting as I made my way home - basically the trucks way of saying it wasn’t thrilled to be living outside again

Current temps in Massachusetts: 1° with windchill

View attachment 2569216
Looks great sir, get them good and broke in before the summer time road trip we got coming

Not stalking your build...but recently purchased the floor mats at up your suggestion...now on to the these👍🇺🇸.
Jake hit the nail on the head, these should work on everything - granted I only run them on the OEM fronts for now (haven’t got to the back just yet)

Don’t worry about stalking John, we both like to make life easier for ourselves. Those floormats are one of my favorite additions so far hahahahah

Glad I can find some unique solutions all of us can take advantage of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom