Fresh Start For A Tired 60 - 1HZ Conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in 2017, I spent the winter and spring getting my 60 running great and through California smog, (along with a bunch of other projects), in anticipation of taking it on a trip to Colorado that August. That trip was awesome and I got to meet a ton of other cruiserheads at the first "Solid Axle Summit", along with an extended trip through Wyoming and Utah on the way back home. My 60 did have some minor issues throughout the trip, but nothing I couldn't adjust or bypass along the way. ...That is, until I started to notice a knock coming from the engine...

DSC_0084.JPG

Long story short, the keyway on the nose of the crankshaft was starting to slowly fail. I started to notice it while leaving the Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado, on my way towards Denver. At the time, I didn't think much of it and figured that I'd keep an eye on things and see if anything would change. By the time I met up with @CaptClose in Casper, Wy to check out the solar eclipse, the knocking was starting to get a bit concerning. But, with a failing keyway being pretty much unrepairable on the road, I decided that I would just press on and cross my fingers that I would make it back to California before it totally failed.

DSC_0291 (1).JPG

After leaving Casper, I headed to Lander for a night, followed by Jackson the next night; eventually making my way to Salt Lake City to check out the Landcruiser Heritage Museum. (which is awesome!) While getting some dinner at a brewery near the museum I found out that @cruiseroutfit was having their annual customer appreciation car show just a few miles away; so obviously I had to get down there to check it out! While there, somebody commented that I could camp out at the Bonneville Salt Flats, so that was my next stop.

DSC_0350.JPG

DSC_0361.JPG

The next day was a grind through a very hot Nevada with AC that was slowly failing and an engine that was starting to run hot from the long highway miles. As I was leaving Fernly headed up the hill towards Sparks, the truck seemed to loose power steering. When I pulled over to check it out, I quickly found that the keyway had completely failed and the crank pulley could now be turned by hand. The rest of the day was spent waiting for AAA to find out that towtruck drivers don't cross state lines. Eventually I got a tow to Carson City where a REALLY good friend agreed to meet me with a trailer and haul my cruiser over Carson Pass at 2am to his place near Jackson, Ca.

DSC_0376.JPG

With the 2F needing a ton of work, (essentially a new crankshaft), my previously distant goal to someday do an engine swap was no longer so distant. I eventually settled on converting to a diesel, and specifically a 1HZ. There were a lot of factors as to why I ultimately went with the 1HZ, but the major ones were that it is still in production, (parts are easy to get), and they are a very simple swap into a 60. (@orangefj45 also had one I could buy not far from where I was living)

Subscribed!

I managed to slap the truck back together with a used pulley, a new key, and some JB-weld. I then spent about the next two years making a crude spreadsheet with anything I could think of needing and a rough idea of what those things might cost. This was mostly a way to keep myself from selling the cruiser while I had too much on my plate with work to even think about getting the cruiser finished. Eventually after a lot of talking to Georg about the project, I ended up ordering the first big ticket item: a new H55 with the input shaft swapped to match a 1HZ, and a rebuilt tcase with 4:1 low range gears.

At the time, I still didn't know how I was going to actually pull off the swap, but spending that much money on a currently useless pile of metal kept me from backing out of the project.

IMG_20190928_142601.jpg

Eventually, everything lined up for me to go pickup the engine from @orangefj45. Problem for me was that I didn't have a place to store it... Thankfully, the same friend that hauled my cruiser out of Carson City when the keyway failed offered a corner of his shop for me to store and work on the engine. Only condition was that I actually had to get the project moving and couldn't let it just rot there forever. A little extra pressure to get the project moving was a good thing in my opinion!

IMG_20200404_155714.jpg

IMG_20200404_161013.jpg

I tried to make a trip up to work on the engine whenever possible. (about a 2.5-3hr drive from where I was living) I made some solid progress on getting the engine cleaned and partially disassembled. Once that was done I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to replace, so lists were made and waaaaaayyyyy too much time was spent on Partsouq digging through parts diagrams. Some might say I went a bit overboard.....

Screenshot_20211003-230326_Instagram.jpg

Some things changed on the engine include:
  • Rebuilt Injection Pump
  • Injection Lines
  • Injectors - new Denso
  • Glow Plugs
  • Glow Rail
  • Timing belt
  • Water pump
  • Thermostat
  • Main pulley
  • Connecting Rod Bearings
  • Power Steering Revivor
  • Oil Pan (old one was rusted through the first layer of steel)
  • Valve Cover
  • Timing Cover
  • Exhaust Heatsheild
  • Gaskets for all that stuff ^^^
  • A bunch of bolts
Camshaft was lubed with plenty of assembly oil before everything was closed up.

20210314_144828.jpg

Piston oil squirters and the insides of the engine. (surprisingly clean for an old diesel)

20210314_192349.jpg

20210314_211411.jpg

20210307_142339.jpg

The 40 in the background also has a 1HZ-T swap.

As spring time rolled around and the engine was ready to go, plans were made with another friend who has experience doing various engine conversions, including 1HZ's. Time was also getting tight because the company I work for was planning a move out of California for sometime around July. Since I didn't have a garage or enough driveway space to do the swap where I was living, we worked out a deal to do the swap at his house.
20210417_100657.jpg

On April 17th around 5pm I pulled the 60 into his carport and by the end of the night we had the 2F extracted. 217,315.6 Miles on the original drivetrain.

20210417_103204.jpg

20210417_233847.jpg
20210418_014409.jpg

The following morning started with shuffling things around and pulling the truck out of the carport to give the engine bay a thorough cleaning with a pressure washer. Once everything was cleaned up we rolled it back in and started mocking up the new drivetrain. Since my 60 was manufactured in June of 1986 and came with the extended tail housing on the 4 speed, we were able to use the the original transmission crossmember to position the new 1HZ + H55 combo. Using the 1HZ engine mounts that @orangefj45 sells, this conversion is about as simple as it gets; if you are doing this swap,... use these mounts!

Prior to power washing:

20210418_115043.jpg

New drivetrain mocked up, ready to tac in the new mounts:

20210418_155928.jpg

New mounts fully welded; frame painted and ready to go.

20210418_181651.jpg
20210418_181600.jpg

20210418_181618.jpg

Seeing this thing in person at SAS has definitely got me thinking…

Looking forward to seeing some more details of the process.

By the end of the night we had the new drivetrain mounted and ready to be plumbed and wired. We went from a running and driving 2F on Saturday night, to a permanently mounted 1HZ in less than a weekend. Since I was only able to make my way out to his house on the weekends, we wanted to get all of the heavy lifting done while I was around to help.

20210418_212136.jpg

Dominic picked away at things throughout the week while I was at work and by the next weekend were ready for the first start.

We spent Sunday getting through a bunch of little tasks and making lists of what parts we would still need to get.

Over the next week we got the radiator back, (outlet needs to be moved over as far as possible for clearance), and a bunch of plumbing and wiring was done. When I got back the next weekend, it was time for the first testdrive.

From there, a couple of weeks went by as all the small deatil and finish work was chipped away at in the evenings. Exhaust was done, wiring cleaned up and sheathed/loomed, front grill put back together, etc.

I friend and I came back to get it on May 22. We finished up a few more odds and ends and it was ready to drive the two hours home... but it wouldn't be alone for the trip... My friend had worked out a deal to take home a 55 that was owned by the friend helping with the conversion after drooling over it for a few weeks as worked on the swap. :pig:

20210522_163523.jpg

The first time the new 4:1 low range gears were put to work was to pull the 55 out of the culvert it had been stored in. The 55 was jokingly referred to as the "ditch pig" from there on out.

20210522_171957.jpg

Aside from having a strap fail on the 55/trailer, the drive home was uneventful. Everything on the conversion was working flawlessly.
20210522_202419.jpg

Last edited:
Man this is a cool swap, lots of good info! The 1HZ doesn't command a lot of respect in the power figures, but for reliability you can't beat them. Most guys down here avoid trouble if they don't add a turbo to the 1HZ. Every 1HZ i've driven, it didn't matter if your foot was through the floor or just babying it around, the diesel consumption never changed!

@The Machinist - what did you do about your fan shroud / cowling? Mine is not seeming a viable fit even if flipped upside down. Is there an easy hack? Perhaps one off an 80 series or a 75.
We did reuse the stock fan shroud, but we also had to move the lower radiator outlet over to the passenger side (driver side if right hand drive). Moving that over gives just enough room to fit the stock 2F shroud upside down. You will need to slot some of the mounting holes and do a little bit of bending to get it just right, but it should fit pretty well.

I'd get some pictures of mine for you, but my 60 is currently being stored in a different state so I don't have access to it right now.

Nice job on the conversion!

We did reuse the stock fan shroud, but we also had to move the lower radiator outlet over to the passenger side (driver side if right hand drive). Moving that over gives just enough room to fit the stock 2F shroud upside down. You will need to slot some of the mounting holes and do a little bit of bending to get it just right, but it should fit pretty well.

I'd get some pictures of mine for you, but my 60 is currently being stored in a different state so I don't have access to it right now.

Ok thanks that is helpful. My battery tray is currently blocking that option, but let me explore if this is possible if I relocate the battery.

After a few weeks of daily driving the truck, I was confident that there were not going to be any major issues with the swap, so it was time to address a few other things that needed to be looked at.

First up was replacing the front brake calipers. I suspected that at least one of them had a stuck piston that was dragging so I ordered a set of mid 90's 4runner front calipers to replace them. You can still buy remanufactured 60 calipers, but they are ridiculously expensive and are smaller than the commonly available 4runner calipers. The 4runner calipers bolt right up, but require some minor trimming of the dust shields; nothing some tin snips cant handle. They are also wider, so they might not work with stock wheels without wheel spacers.

Overheated and cracked brake pad on the stuck piston.
20210613_190610.jpg
20210613_152513.jpg
20210613_155459.jpg

I also added a "Tiny-Tach" as an easy and accurate way to reference engine speed. Was happy to find that the backlighting color matched the 60 series green lighting! For the 1HZ injection lines, order the 4.5mm transducer size.

20210530_213311 (2).jpg

One of the finishing touches was to place the timing belt service sticker.

IMG_20210526_103209 (2).jpg

20210613_152513.jpg

With everything pretty well sorted, it was finally time to take it out for a shakedown run and play with the new low range gears. I convinced my dad, brother and a few friends to come along for a quick trip over fathers day weekend.

Might have been my favorite weekend of the year. The truck ran flawlessly and it was a blast to drive in the rocks with the lower gears! This was also the first time I was able to convince my dad to come on a wheeling trip with me; he had no idea what to expect and was surprised at how capable the three cruisers were. With it being over 100° that weekend, it was nice to swim in the river and hangout in the shade of the pines; what an awesome weekend!

20210619_105233 (1).jpg
000249060003.jpg
20210619_113349.jpg
29511FCB-5D4B-498A-BBCB-82B1B162E371.jpeg
20210620_105217.jpg

PXL_20210619_204015489 (1).jpg

790A0071-3E01-4F21-9E85-10E952F7A0B3.jpeg

20210619_153519.jpg

One last post to bring this thread up to date...

The ultimate goal for 2021 was to make it back to Solid Axle Summit in my 60. It made the 2,700+ mile round trip flawlessly, including a 22hr non-stop blast from California to the Colorado border followed by 2hrs of rest and another 4hr drive into Ouray. All while getting 17-25mpg!

20210731_182209.jpg
20210801_043059.jpg
20210803_091006.jpg
20210803_141719.jpg
20210803_202126.jpg
20210805_191919.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom