Builds Fly By Night (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We saw that 38 degree temp for a high in Woodland Park and was wondering WTF that was all about!? Looks like it’s isolated to Colorado. No where else I can find dips that low.

it should be interesting!
The heat plus the smoke have made this pretty crappy lately...

Better day today

5343AA0F-B6A1-4AF9-905A-988863956672.jpeg

Thank you WDE! I’m not sure yet if it will need some kind of cushioning material, or maybe even a couple beads of silicone between the roof and the framework. I’m still working on a brainstorm that will allow me to mount a roof rack through the roof and tie in to this inner frame. Thinking four points on each side. Round, threaded inserts welded through the center of the tubings that run along the edge of the roofline. There may need to be some sort of shim spacers between the tubing and the roof where the bolts come through to ensure a tight fit that does not distort the roof. If that ends up being the case, there may be some material laid along the top of the inner rack to take up the space everywhere else. Maybe some thin, closed-cell foam stripping or something.

Here’s a little yarn while you tip back on a brewski this weekend....

So the hood on my 55 flew open on a PO long before it came into my possession and folded across the middle. The entire time I’ve had it, I’ve never had to release a safety latch to open the hood, just the release in the cab, and lift the hood. I’d always figured the safety latch got damaged or removed at some time around when it flew open.
It occurred to me that I could snag the safety latch/hook from the early model hood that I got back in 2019. So I removed it and proceeded to dig my hood out of its storage spot and see if the parts latch will bolt up. Funny thing is, there IS a safety latch there, but it’s bent. WTF? How..?
Glitch in the Matrix moment...

E5D6E5AE-BF51-4900-81CA-BEF94DF1555B.jpeg

Got some more stripper discs off of Amazon and removed most of the remaining paint on the frame.

Had one of these hardware store standard issue 3M stripper discs sitting in my tool box since who knows when. They advertise their use with a drill, which isn’t impressive. I chucked it into my high HP pneumatic die-grinder and it became a hero. So I picked up a couple more.

234F32D1-B5AF-444B-AA54-FA9146B64A2C.jpeg

AE21CF9B-27EB-484B-8754-CF2CB03881C7.jpeg

9C703DFB-C1CB-4445-80EE-466149E7C15C.jpeg

Very nice!

Removed the rack to weld the top side. Got a weight figured of about 74lbs. It warped, tried to take it out a little with some heat, don’t think it did much. I re-installed and was able to get it to sit fairly snug with a bottle jack. The only way you’d be able to build something like this and not have it warp is to have it clamped or tack-welded to a jig on a nice big, heavy table. I don’t have that, but once it’s in place it’ll be good to go.
Started conceptualizing an overhead console...

I’ll contribute an update to today’s superb forum traffic. I’ve done an underwhelming amount of work on the project this month and so just waited to have something mostly complete before posting.

Not long after I finished my clone version of Scrappy’s rear x-member, I had an idea to alter it a bit, and then finally decided to do it since it’s gonna be one of the first pieces to get the paint. The new pieces were made out of 3-1/2”x1/4” square tubing.

A83BF614-8D2D-49A6-9547-FF0BB2354B41.jpeg

624B8D99-9B85-4F90-9E1E-302679CA4B96.jpeg

B1D62A24-AE51-4F30-937C-41BD0BE03691.jpeg

6A37E5BF-AF33-4E4A-951F-8145DEA71508.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom