Builds Fly By Night (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what I’m finding so far is that most bulkhead connectors that I’d like to use don’t have the amp capacity that I need. Most are in the 13 amp range. By what I’ve seen, the requirements for the engine harness are 15 amps. The Eaton fuse box which uses Metri-Pack 280 connectors is good for 30 amps per circuit.
I found these round 19 pin bulkheads manufactured by Aptiv (Delphi/Metri-Pack) that are capable of 28 amps (they call “size 16”).
Not sure I really want a round bulkhead and another crimp die, but might be kinda cool?🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Decided I want the engine harness fuse box and the 175amp Megafuses, along with any other auxiliary circuits, to be consolidated into one specific area, right next to the batteries. A company called PowerTrays builds mounting plates for such a use. Their products are limited to more modern rigs, but I love the concept, so I’m going to build one to suit the needs of FBN. Making mine out of cardboard.

View attachment 3234460

View attachment 3234461

You wearing nail polish these days?
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Was hoping to also run a FJ62/FJ80 style air cleaner housing on the passenger side. Not sure if it’s going to work out or not. So far, the driver side is still open and hasn’t been planned out yet.
I am looking forward to seeing how you handle the air intake. I am pretty sure I can do mine better.

Couple things happening in the RUSH garage.
First I decided to go with an EATON AMI fuse holder instead of the cheesy Littelfuse MEGAfuse holders supplied by American Autowire, to split the battery-hot cables from the alternator and to the two fuse panels. Also wanted some battery disconnect switches to kill power from both batteries. I liked the look of the Cole-Hersee 75920, as well as their 400amp rating, waterproof and dust proof features, and their -40° to 185° operating temps. What I didn’t realize was how massive they are.
You’ll see in the pics where I’m going to attemp to run them - we’ll see how that pans out a little later.
The idea of a consolidated electrical base has been let go. Yes, the real estate ended up being too cramped over there to fit the batteries, panel and air cleaner. Considered for a minute running one of those K&N style conical filters, but that minute quickly passed. Back to using an FJ62/80 style cleaner - that will be divulged at a later time.
The engine harness fuse panel will take up residence on the driver side, behind the horn mount assembly.
Spent some time welding up unnecessary holes, and adding a few blind riv-nuts and raised coupler-nut p-clamp mounts.

Pics for visual aid.

51255F5A-BE54-41F9-83AE-45BF96FB865A.jpeg

B8C4C2A2-B4A2-4AF8-8DBD-81C532493E47.jpeg

35C0C103-6D54-4ACF-A1E0-C2AD315284B6.jpeg

E7B0A12B-4FE8-49F0-9EA8-44940F9456E2.jpeg

B2A8BC97-E1D5-493D-90C7-F0E6E059FC7B.jpeg

Finished up most of the battery tray project. Used a little CAD.

Onto the next custom modification…
What do you think about something like this for the house battery?

For what I’m planning on doing with this rig, it’s looking like an AGM hooked to a DC/DC charger supplied juice by the alternator and/or a possible solar panel, will be plenty of battery power for camping duties.

Stopped by a Batteries+ to check their supply of X2 Power batteries. The store owner was very adamant that the battery would need to be in regular use and not on standby, as they do not handle long stretches of non-use very well. Even to the point that there was a special note on the wall concerning the return policy of the X2’s.

For what I’m planning on doing with this rig, it’s looking like an AGM hooked to a DC/DC charger supplied juice by the alternator and/or a possible solar panel, will be plenty of battery power for camping duties.

Stopped by a Batteries+ to check their supply of X2 Power batteries. The store owner was very adamant that the battery would need to be in regular use and not on standby, as they do not handle long stretches of non-use very well. Even to the point that there was a special note on the wall concerning the return policy of the X2’s.
Man I loved the first x2 we put in the wife's LX. That sucker ran the truck for IDK how long when the alternator died. Then one day she called me and said the truck died. That battery was so discharged...
I put it on an AGM charger and charged it (for DAYS) and then it was good to go for several more years. We run the fridge off it, it never seemed to mind running down low.
I got 6 years out of it, and then it seemed to be cranking slower. I think the amp may have been failing around that same time, so maybe that was part of the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom