Best tires for daily city driving with weekend camping and beach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks all for the feedback, I'll keep referencing back while I shop for a few weeks!

Search Expedition Portal. Not long ago they did a very comprehensive test on AT tires. Coopers came out on top.
I'm using General Grabber AT2s and have had fine Baja service with them.

I had the Toyo AT tires on my 80 when I got it. They were ok. I thought they had weak sidewalls and got slick as they got older. I replaced them with a set of Bridgestone REVOs that I loved until they got older. I got 60K+ miles out of them and still had almost 50% tread left when I finally replaced them because they were starting to get too hard and loud at the end, and were getting dry-rot-looking cracks in them. Great tires, overall. I went with Cooper AT3s this time and, so far, I like them even better than the REVOs. They seem a little heavier, but the tread is great on the road, does great in the mud and snow, clears better than either the Toyos or the REVOs, and has great grip on the rocks. Love them so far.

Have to agree on this one. I had a set of AT3's on a Tundra, and they track very straight, wear well, and didn't add much road noise over the Dunlop AT20's that were on there. You had to work to spin those tires.

As soon as I got my '96, I dropped it off for 5 new AT3's. Very happy so far, and drove it through the 30 inch snowstorm this past winter without sliding whatsoever.

I have about 3000 winter miles on a set of 285 Hankook Dynapro ATs. I love them. Super smooth, quiet and ride smooth.

If you want more aggressive tired you will give up the smooth ride and longevity. More aggressive tires can also get you further into trouble if you don't have the tools and experience to get yourself back out.

Duratracs. Good on the road, decent enough on the trail. Have had a set on my 4runner for the last 50,000 miles and they still look new.

Another vote for the Duratracs. They are quiet on the road and great in the snow/ice and sand.
Last weekend I was cruisin the dunes, today I was playing around in the snow. Some people say there sidewalls are weak, I have yet to see it first hand. Four of five cruisers in my family are running them, and we wheel and road trip a lot.

Duratracs.

On the beach you are going to need to air down and not get stuck, so go with BFG KM2s or GY MT/Rs. They may be a little more noisy, but it is worth it off road. Both are also good in mud. Sounds like you won't need to worry about snow.

Duratracs, great all around tire. Great in the snow and ice, they are great in the sand and quiet on the road. Like @justintpryor said we have them on 4/5 cruisers in the family. We have done a lot of different things with those tires. Rubicon, pismo dunes, several trips from the Bay Area to Denver and back, snow wheeling and they have never let us down.

I run Duratracs on my Rovers that see mild trail use and lots of highway here in the Midwest with snow. Surprisingly quiet and vibration free and have yet to have any irregular wear or sidewall issues with thousands of miles. Safe to air-down (haven't gone below 15psi) and respectable rock crawling abilities. They are available in LT and P-Metric so make sure you don't simply buy the cheapest as the LTs are a bit more but have a higher load index. I've tried many others over the years but I've bought these on my last five rigs...definitely my go-to tire for my DD.

For a cheaper alternative, I've had good luck with Hankook DynaPro ATMs. Never bought them on purpose but they came on an F150 I had and ran quiet, even and smooth for 35K.

We are running Kumho M/Ts on my son's LX which sees more trail use but in all honesty most of the miles are still on the street. Not nearly as noisy as anticipated, they do have a very slight rumble in feel but not enough to complain about. I've had several other M/Ts over the years and we've been very impressed with the overall performance. I wouldn't expect them to last as long as the Duratracs but for a mud tire they've exceeded our expectations and were surprisingly good on the snow/ice this winter.

I might be speaking out of turn, and having never ran them myself, but after seeing and hearing of too many Duratrac catastrophic sidewall failures, I would never use them.
Been using BFG's for 30 years on my 'cruisers with NEVER an issue.

2nd the cooper at3...great road tire and has done very well in snow

3rd or 4th on the Cooper Discoverer AT3's. I have them on my Tundra and on the LC. I really like them a lot and in my opinion, better than the Duratrac unless you are going to be off-road more than on road. That stated, I have the Duratracs and got about 55,000 on them when I switched to the AT3. They were a nice tire and I liked the look, I just thought with the amount of highway, and travel trailer towing I do with the tundra, I needed something a little less aggressive.

I have the Cooper Discoverer on my '12 Tacoma. They're a great tire. On my 80 I have a set of WildPeaks which even at 315/75/16 are quieter on the road than the Discoverers. They've been great in dirt and sand. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

General Grabber AT2s. They are pretty similar/the same as KO2s, but $50 cheaper.

Also the General Grabber red labels (cross hashed tread pattern)... I'm running 31x10.50x15's and have put a ton of miles on them, decently quiet and smooth on the highway. Off-road they work well in sand and rock, but not the best in the mud... Planning on going with those in 35" once the motor swap and lift are complete. And you can get them on Amazon for a pretty decent price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom