Best tires for daily city driving with weekend camping and beach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These BFG AT KO2 285/75/16's work good on the beach for me.
image.jpeg

I only have about 4k miles on my Cooper ST Maxx's in 255/80-17 but so far I am really happy with them on the tarmac, have a couple of short easy desert runs on them in southern AZ and a couple of F/S roads in NW MT in the last few days on them and seen snow and a little bit of mud . So far very sure footed and hardly spun a wheel even on some hard pack that was still a little icy and rain soaked.

They seemed to balance far easier and are MUCH MUCH quieter and less harsh than the KM2's I got rid of for these in and those only had about 7k on them

Last edited:
I might be speaking out of turn, and having never ran them myself, but after seeing and hearing of too many Duratrac catastrophic sidewall failures, I would never use them.
Been using BFG's for 30 years on my 'cruisers with NEVER an issue.

I feel like this is internet lore at work. If this was such a prevalent issue with Duratracs, people would be chiming in all the time with firsthand experience. This never seems to be the case. It also doesn't sound like the OP is going to be crawling in areas with sharp rocks. Having grown up next door to Tampa (St. Petersburg), the awkward stick puncturing the sidewall would be the biggest threat. That's the only way i would consider anything but Duratracs.

P.S. 3 sets of Duratracs for me and no issues.

I feel like this is internet lore at work. If this was such a prevalent issue with Duratracs, people would be chiming in all the time with firsthand experience. This never seems to be the case. It also doesn't sound like the OP is going to be crawling in areas with sharp rocks. Having grown up next door to Tampa (St. Petersburg), the awkward stick puncturing the sidewall would be the biggest threat. That's the only way i would consider anything but Duratracs.

I must say, I never had a problem either, but they were not for me on the tundra as a tow/city rig. That said, I would 100% get them for the 80 when I am due for new rubber.

Just from some of the guys I have wheeled with who had them and would never buy them again. YMMV

How about limiting your considerations to tires that were manufactured in the USA? For what the OP described his ideal tire to be, the Goodyear Duratrac comes to mind. Running the second set on my street pounder Dodge Cummins in 285 flavor. The first set lasted 55k. That's 20k more than the Toyo AT's and BFG AT's I ran before. In my experience, the Duratrac is a better tire in every way.

For the last going on 4 years now I've driven my 80 exactly as you said. I drive highway and around town as an almost DD in summer, I do fairly light offroad and a ton of beach travel over flats, dunes, wet sand and some rocks. The tire that brung me all this way..?

The humble Firestone Destination AT

I picked them because they were the top tire on Tirerack's owners survey with among the best light snow ratings (similar to sand) and a not too aggressive tread that's better for sand driving. They've been great in all these areas. Plus they're quiet too.
I'd like to get a different size of the same tire when these are done, but it looks like at this rate of wear it's going to be years before I get the chance.

Putting in my vote for the BFGs, I have no complaints so far. Great on the road, not too loud, good in the snow, good traction on the trail. Can't say much for the wear....yet. After 15k they look new.

If not some sort of ATs, then michelin ltx's are great too. We have run them on almost every one of our other suvs forever, great road and snow tire. Just my $.02

Had BFG's loved the traction, hated the road noise. Just put on Yokohama Geolander A/T's and so far am very pleased. Quiet on road, good traction in mud and snow.

I like the Goodyear MTR. A little more expensive, but they handle well on the road, aren't very loud, and have been impressive offroad in the both muddy and rocky terrain.

I run the MTR and while it's a bit noisy, the highway manners are stellar for a mudtire.......I regularly cruise 80 with no bad manners at all, except for the poor mpg of course

I've ran BFG's since I've owned the Cruiser, so I have no other experience. They have served me well.

Super happy with my Cooper ST Maxx. I have about 20k on them so far. Looks like they will be good for 40-50k or so. Super quiet and durable. OK in snow for an A/T tire.

Toyo AT´s are great tyre both on and off road inc beach but, tyre material seems to go soft at mid life¿ The result is accelerated wear and for me numerous punctures started at half the expected life, which simply should not happen.

regards

Dave

I had the Toyo AT tires on my 80 when I got it. They were ok. I thought they had weak sidewalls and got slick as they got older.

Glad it is not just my imagination.

regards

Dave

Just swapped out my worn KO's for Duratracks and lovin them.

I think the quest for the "best" tire for this usage is going to boil down to subjective opinions. In reality, there are plenty of tires that will work just fine. I'd say buy whatever you like and be happy. :) I bought a set of Falken Wildpeaks right when I bought my LX450 because they were inexpensive (OK, "cheap") and I needed something fast. Over 30k miles later I am still happy with them. Great street tires. Good in rain and snow and fully decent off road.

Mine have worn like iron. I'm a tire geek and I actually wish these would wear out a little quicker so I could get something else. Something else for me will probably be Duratracs.

I know I will get heat for this, but treadwright wardens(a/t). Very much like the bfg ko's but alot cheaper. I've had their guard dogs(M/t) for almost a year now and love them. I get compliments all the time and the tread marks look kinda like tank tracks lol. I have them as 35's but you can get them as 33's too. The only downside I noted is their a little heavy, but that's not a big deal for me. I have about 90% left on mine.

I think the quest for the "best" tire for this usage is going to boil down to subjective opinions. In reality, there are plenty of tires that will work just fine. I'd say buy whatever you like and be happy. :) I bought a set of Falken Wildpeaks right when I bought my LX450 because they were inexpensive (OK, "cheap") and I needed something fast. Over 30k miles later I am still happy with them. Great street tires. Good in rain and snow and fully decent off road.

Mine have worn like iron. I'm a tire geek and I actually wish these would wear out a little quicker so I could get something else. Something else for me will probably be Duratracs.

I totally agree with the line

"I think the quest for the "best" tire for this usage is going to boil down to subjective opinions".

But then you say you bought a cheap tyre and yet you were happy with it.

"Great street tires. Good in rain and snow and fully decent off road."

And now you are looking for something else? Unless you are a ´Brand poser´ why change? IMO stay with what you know works, and keep your hard earned in your pocket!

Not gettting at you just sayin......

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom