35 inch snow tires for 16 inch rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can’t really find any snow tires for 16 inch rim. At least none that are the size that I want. Currently I’m running 315/75 r16.

I think running a standard size tire with a lift would look kind of strange. I put in some pictures for reference. Am I gonna have to import some from Sweden or something?

IMG_2138.jpeg

IMG_2139.jpeg

You may have to go with a 33” or add studs to a studdable AT like the General Grabber ATx. There are some good performing ATs put there (Falkens, especially) but they’re not going to perform like a true winter/snow tire. Tire selections in 16s are getting more and more limited, especially above 33”.

I had the Generals on a past truck in 35s and thought they were a great tire. Road manners and winter performance blew the Goodyear Duratracs they replaced out of the water. Never been a fan of BFGs.

Yeah, studs are rapidly becoming a thing of the past based on the theory that new tire compounds and designs are so much better than they used to be and the wear on the pavement is too severe. It makes sense out here in rainy country, but I don't know that the logic holds up to Wyoming winter. I have driven in Wyoming in winter with good all terrains and it wasn't too bad, but I was sticking to well traveled pavement.

I run a set of studded 315’s in the winter. First set were Duratracs and they did well in snow/ice. Currently have a set of Cooper ST Maxx and I don’t care for them. Rubber compound is too hard. I’m going to buy a sipping tool and see if I can improve them. I regret not buying the General ATX or just another pair of Duratracs.

I you want a true snow tire you’ll have to go down in size For 16” wheel.

Last edited:

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA LT3 STUDDED. 285/75 16. IF YOU CAN FIND THEM

I hate directional tires but in the world of snow tires it’s nearly impossible to escape. I’ve run Nokians on our Subarus both all season and dedicated snow tires. They are excellent And generally pretty easy to source in Colorado. But expensive. Directional tires just suck to rotate as you have to remount to swap sides.

on tirerack.com i don't see true winter tires for anything, even in 17". "Severe Snow Service Rated" seems all that exists for 35x12.50R17 or 315/75R16

in wyoming what about snow rated AT's with chains, when necessary?

Chains are not a solution for daily driving tasks IMHO. I use mine when required which has never included driving on a paved surface. Our subdivision has narrow steep dirt roads and chain up on occasion to get to the house. Especially if I have a trailer behind me.

Downsize if you want a true snow tire or pick the best “AT” in a 315.

I hate directional tires but in the world of snow tires it’s nearly impossible to escape. I’ve run Nokians on our Subarus both all season and dedicated snow tires. They are excellent And generally pretty easy to source in Colorado. But expensive. Directional tires just suck to rotate as you have to remount to swap sides.
Yeah I run Nokian studded on my commuter and they are far and away the best winter tire that I have ever run. Their passenger car studded tires have a lot more studs than their LT’s but their tire compound and studs really seem to work very well.

I’m going to look into the Nokian tires. I had some Blizzack dm v2 on the other cruiser, and I swear by them. Daily driver though, I want some thing with soft compound so that I can grip the snow with good sipping.

I’m going to look into the Nokian tires. I had some Blizzack dm v2 on the other cruiser, and I swear by them. Daily driver though, I want some thing with soft compound so that I can grip the snow with good sipping.
I don't think you will be disappointed if you can find them. They work so well on my commuter that I often joke that if I put them on my Cruiser or GX460 they would be completely unstoppable in the winter.

I know you want 16’s but if you’re looking at a pure winter tire maybe consider a cheap set of steel wheels or 4runner take offs in 17s so you don’t have mount/unmount. There are some winter tire options in 35s with 17 wheels.

According to Discount Tires/American Tire website the following manufactures do a 3 Peak Snow tire: General, Hankook, BFG, Toyo, Yokohama, etc. I searched 315/75-16, not a true 35 but close 34.6

I know you want 16’s but if you’re looking at a pure winter tire maybe consider a cheap set of steel wheels or 4runner take offs in 17s so you don’t have mount/unmount. There are some winter tire options in 35s with 17 wheels.

I second this, lots more options for 17" wheels and keep your 16" wheels mounted with 35" Mud Terrains for summer wheeling.

As far as options for 16" wheels go though, I run a very silly looking set of 235/85R16 Toyo Open Country WLT1 snow tires and they perform awesome. I'm in the narrow tires for snow driving camp and I wouldn't want to run a 12.5" wide tire in the winter. I have a set of 16"x7" steel wheels that I leave the snow tires mounted on.

1F3E4860-B8F3-40D3-83B3-9A1456542205.jpg
915320B0-7F36-41E6-94F8-7084DE766433.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom