Best tires for daily city driving with weekend camping and beach (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know I will get heat for this, but treadwright wardens(a/t). Very much like the bfg ko's but alot cheaper. I've had their guard dogs(M/t) for almost a year now and love them. I get compliments all the time and the tread marks look kinda like tank tracks lol. I have them as 35's but you can get them as 33's too. The only downside I noted is their a little heavy, but that's not a big deal for me. I have about 90% left on mine.

No heat from me, good to see an honest post that does not ´follow the crowd´, because such and such tyre is the best thing since sliced bread, some of the cheapest tyres on the market are perfect for most people.

regards

Dave

I've been looking at the General Grabber AT2's since they have the snowflake symbol and are dirt cheap. Could've got a complete set of 315's for $640 with the recent ebay/discount tire sale. But my Hankooks still have tons of life in them, so I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Beware falken tires:
Falken Rocky Mountain ats tires

285 16 Duratrac's here (E-load range). On/Off Road Commercial Traction Tire. I am in the PNW, and have used them in the sand, dirt, snow, rock, mud, black ice on pavement, and everything in between. The only times I have had a problem is not airing down enough in deep snow with open diffs.

(I was talked out of the Coopers and into these by the local trusted tire shop.)
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

It is also what all of the BNSF (railroad) trucks use around here. (They wear like iron, so take the mileage per $ into account as well)

(The KO's are nice for the dry midwest, but in the mud they hold the mud and become slicks pretty quickly without dramatic wheel speed; very poor shedding ability)

((The snowflake symbol is also nice anywhere requiring chaining-up/traction tires for the mountain passes.))

I totally agree with the line

"I think the quest for the "best" tire for this usage is going to boil down to subjective opinions".

But then you say you bought a cheap tyre and yet you were happy with it.

"Great street tires. Good in rain and snow and fully decent off road."

And now you are looking for something else? Unless you are a ´Brand poser´ why change? IMO stay with what you know works, and keep your hard earned in your pocket!

Not gettting at you just sayin......

regards

Dave

Well, I'm a complete poser. :) No, you're right it does make sense to stick with something that I know works. My goal with the Duratracs would be to move closer to something that would handle mud better than the Wildpeaks, but still be a decent street tire.

I'm a BFG fan of sorts. I've had KM's, KO's and KM2's on various trucks over the years. The original KM's were loud to me. The original KO's were quite a bit quieter, but you did not have to strain to hear them. I've had two sets of KM2's, and to me they are about the same volume as the original KO's. I am very curious how loud the new KO2's are, as they would be a more appropriate choice for my use. I just happened into a great deal on the KM2's on my LC.

I am very curious how loud the new KO2's are, as they would be a more appropriate choice for my use.

I read through all 10-pages of this thread on the KO2's the other day. It sounds like they're very quiet, and a great all-around tire. Everyone who has them there likes them, with the one exception of @Stuparman who had a weird quality issue, but BFG took care of him.

I was particularly interested in their snow performance. I got a set of Toyo RT's for my wife last year, and while they do great offroad and have very little highway noise, they're pretty poor on wet pavement, and awful on packed snow and ice.

I was looking for something as a Daily Driver with decent offroad performance, and something I might be able to get away with using year round so I don't have to pay $600 for a set of dedicated snow tires. It sounds like the KO2s fit the bill. The other close contender I found were Duratracs, but I went with KO2s on the basis that they're a newer design, and I found them for a bit cheaper.

I read through all 10-pages of this thread on the KO2's the other day. It sounds like they're very quiet, and a great all-around tire. Everyone who has them there likes them, with the one exception of @Stuparman who had a weird quality issue, but BFG took care of him.

I was particularly interested in their snow performance. I got a set of Toyo RT's for my wife last year, and while they do great offroad and have very little highway noise, they're pretty poor on wet pavement, and awful on packed snow and ice.

I was looking for something as a Daily Driver with decent offroad performance, and something I might be able to get away with using year round so I don't have to pay $600 for a set of dedicated snow tires. It sounds like the KO2s fit the bill. The other close contender I found were Duratracs, but I went with KO2s on the basis that they're a newer design, and I found them for a bit cheaper.

I was in the same situation when I bought the K02's in December. I wanted something that would work well year round to avoid a dedicated set of snow tires and the K02's have done a great job. The tire noise on the highway is lower than the wind noise (can't distinguish between them) and snow performance has been impressive.

For context we use the cruiser to drive up to Mt Bachelor almost every weekend in the winter and it's seen a lot of snow (we are about 25 miles south of Bend, OR at 4200'). Before the K02's I had Yokohama Geolander AT-H (street tires, came with the cruiser when purchased) that were a total joke in the snow. Even though they had 75% tread remaining I wouldn't let my wife drive the cruiser in the snow they were so bad.

Will increasing my tire size negatively impact my transmission?

Yes. Stress/heat go up if it's not regeared. Fortunately they're under-powered / over-transmissioned- so plenty overbuild in the trans.

I had a 1996 Cherokee with 33" T/A KO's and my '96 LC has 285 KO2's installed, near brand new from previous owner.

I have zero complaints ever with these tires. Perform great on-road, dirt, rocks, sand, snow and ice. Mud is a different story, but ih8mud so was never a big issue.

Road noise was is minimal compared to many others.

Longevity on the Cherokee was amazing, but then again compared to an 80 series LC it weighed next to nothing. I will see how these hold up. Will keep them until I regear, lift, and put on 315's.

Just my experience.

Nitto Terra grapplers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom