35 inch snow tires for 16 inch rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

According to Discount Tires/American Tire website the following manufactures do a 3 Peak Snow tire: General, Hankook, BFG, Toyo, Yokohama, etc. I searched 315/75-16, not a true 35 but close 34.6
For the record, the 3 peak snow rating does not mean it’s a dedicated snow tire. Just that it tested to be better than some baseline tire chosen a while back. It just says it’s better than average. A dedicated snow tire will have much more sipping, be made of a softer rubber compound, and often be ready to accept studs. With or without studs they should be removed for the summer as they will wear fast in warm weather. Not to mention they perform terrible in the summer.

IMG_0565.jpeg

This is true. Dedicated snow tires are AMAZING compared to any other tire. I asked my friend if he was getting snow tires for his Jeep and he was like "I have all season Mud and Snow rated tires." Snow tires (Blizzack , Ice-X etc) are So much better than standard tires it's no comparison. For reference I got some Ice-X tires on my Miata when I lived in Erie PA for 3 years. Only got snowed in 4 times in that stint.

I am really bummed that Manufactures are dumping large side wall 16 inch tires, esp. Snow tires. ESPECIALLY because I have a full set and a half of stock rims just sitting in my shed. In Wyoming, ice and snow are a November to May reality, sometimes September to June.

For the record, the 3 peak snow rating does not mean it’s a dedicated snow tire. Just that it tested to be better than some baseline tire chosen a while back. It just says it’s better than average. A dedicated snow tire will have much more sipping, be made of a softer rubber compound, and often be ready to accept studs. With or without studs they should be removed for the summer as they will wear fast in warm weather. Not to mention they perform terrible in the summer.

View attachment 3488395
Okay, I guess I missed the "TRUE" part of the OG post.

If it makes any differences I had the previous General Grappler AT on an old Xterra and they handled well in the snow, first experience was 6" of fresh snow and had no issues.

Okay, I guess I missed the "TRUE" part of the OG post.

If it makes any differences I had the previous General Grappler AT on an old Xterra and they handled well in the snow, first experience was 6" of fresh snow and had no issues.
I may go with that but the Ice is what scares me.

Did you put studs in them?

Did you put studs in them?
If you are referring to the Grabber AT that I ran no I did not put studs in them, but carried chains. The chains were carried due to rules in WA state regarding chains for certain conditions.

All of the oilfield rigs I remember in northern Alberta ran Duratracs and lived on ice for half of the year. I don't remember ever seeing an oversized true winter ice tire, but with that said the Duratracs performed pretty well on heavy vehicles. I wonder how a heavily siped, soft compound tire like a Blizzack would perform under load (since our Land Cruisers are fat).

1700753185760.png

All of the oilfield rigs I remember in northern Alberta ran Duratracs and lived on ice for half of the year. I don't remember ever seeing an oversized true winter ice tire, but with that said the Duratracs performed pretty well on heavy vehicles. I wonder how a heavily siped, soft compound tire like a Blizzack would perform under load (since our Land Cruisers are fat).
They work amazingly well. I have some on my 93 cruiser. I left them on all summer and unfortunately they’re worn out. That vehicle doesn’t have the problem of the lift though.

So is the only reason you don’t want to go down to 33’s for looks? Because I guarantee you an 80 on true 33” winter tires with studs will go anyplace an 80 on 35” AT’s will go and it will be much safer for normal winter driving. IMO.

So is the only reason you don’t want to go down to 33’s for looks? Because I guarantee you an 80 on true 33” winter tires with studs will go anyplace an 80 on 35” AT’s will go and it will be much safer for normal winter driving. IMO.
Yes, well mostly. I do love going out when its terrible, usually in the spring time. It's actually quite amazing what a cruiser will do with good shoes. I just think it would be UNSTOPPABLE with some 35's in a winter tread.

Last edited:
If you want the safety and confidence true snow tires provide just go down to 33’s for the winter. Like Scotty said, you’re not going any further on 35” AT’s.

Or buy 17” wheels for the big Nokians. But it’s not worth it in the end IMHO.

Anyone ever used Firestone Winterforce LTs? I can get those in 285/75/ 16s.

If your ego can handle running wimpy looking tires in the winter, I think you’ll get best performance on snowy roads with a pizza cutter. The Ozark Overland Outfitters video linked above is what sold me on my winter setup of 16”x7” wheels with 235/85 R16 snow tires. I bought the Toyos because they were the only true snow tire I could find in that size.

Those 285/75 R16 Firestones look like a great balance of filling the wheel wells and getting true winter tire tread pattern and compound. I haven’t run them personally, but I think ANY real snow tire is so much better than any hard-compound all season tire that the differences between brands of snow tires is not worth stressing about. Just get what you can get in the size you want from the shop near you.

This season my 2011 Tundra is receiving 315/70R17 Nokian LT3 w/ studs. No miles yet, just mounted them up. I have experience on the same tire in 285/70R17 on the 200, and find they work very well on the snow and ice of the maintained/plowed streets, dirt roads, and class 4 trails around southern VT. Tread width is narrow for a 315 size, only 9.625”/245mm, my 285/65R18 Nitto Tera Grapplers are a pinch wider. Height mounted on the RW wheel is maybe a smidge over 34”.

Yokohama is also producing a snow tire in this size.

ED451C0E-D59A-4A6C-B8DC-DC08424F22AE.jpeg
47C75891-6645-4A99-8B4A-B7A6AC6C170A.jpeg
98322E55-8D85-48AB-AA4D-AA6D531A8BE2.jpeg
0E8057F2-417A-4F50-966D-5808EF3823F0.jpeg

One thing many people don't know, you don't necessarily want a show tire to clear snow from its treads. The sipes are to hold the snow and get compacted within them. The snow to snow "connection" aides in providing traction in addition to the biting edge. Another reason faster is not better in snow. Not sure which manufacturer presented the information, I want to say it was Michelin.

This is why mud tires suck on the snow and ice, they clear the snow, no siping, few biting edges. Even with studs, they still will be horrible. The ones that are siped, still suck, just not as much as un-siped muds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom