New tires, new wobble (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just replaced my Yokohama Geolandar's with some Falken WIldpeaks and went from 31's to 33's. Now I've got a wobble I can't quite figure out, maybe y'all can help. Everything is smooth as butter in a straight line or if you are in a substantial turn, but if you are in a very slight turn you get a wobble at any speed. It's mostly just annoying, but I want to fix it as it will likely drive me insane eventually.

I jacked up each of the fronts and tried to find some play in the bearings, but couldn't. I installed an Ironman 2.5" lift a year or so ago and it came with a new stabilizer shock, so that "should" be good. I could not sense any play in the front bearings or linkages.

I also did a quick and dirty toe in check and found that my toe in was around the 3mm mark. But that's rough using the jack stand and string method.

This did not exist on the old tires, so I'm guessing the new rubber being way grabbier is the culprit. If this is just one of those things you live with, then I'll live with it. But if this isn't I'd really like to get it resolved.

Check your when wheel lug nut torque NOW!!!! I had this happen many many years ago just after new tires. Pulled over on the way home front right had had sheared 2 studs off and 3 lug nuts were not even hand tight. Only sign was a slight vibration that got a little worse with turning at all speeds and all angles

Check your when wheel lug nut torque NOW!!!! I had this happen many many years ago just after new tires. Pulled over on the way home front right had had sheared 2 studs off and 3 lug nuts were not even hand tight. Only sign was a slight vibration that got a little worse with turning at all speeds and all angles
Yeah, true, it didn't occur to me that the lugs may not have seated correctly. Good call!

Same thing when I moved to 33s. Lug nuts are fine. Everything in the steering linkages is tight. Tires have been rotated a couple times now with no change. Everything is smooth except in a slight bend I get a shake in the wheel. It’s a slower, smoother pulse than what I would expect from a tire issue and with slightly more input in the steering wheel it disappears. I am leaning towards something in the power steering, but I haven’t spent much time trying to track it down.

Very easily can be tires too, just because they are new doesn’t mean they got balanced good or will even balance at all. The coopers on my tundra have never balanced out super well and have a slight shake in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom