Stock height tires best size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hear so many different Thoughts on this and looking for verification. I will not overland and will have stock bumper. Can 35’s fit without rubbing? Or stick with 33? Any pics would be helpful of the brand of tires you recommend. Trying to buy new tires tomorrow thank you guys

Stock height including 30 years of sag. 285/75R16 (33”)

F1F9C6C2-1899-4E43-B4B4-E892A4A8610A.jpeg

I
Reading between the lines here for you @ethingnow….get you some 33ish” AT tires (Falken Wildpeak AT 3, etc, etc) and enjoy your cruiser!
I appreciate you, I will be daily driving it no off road so I appreciate the recommendation

I appreciate you, I will be daily driving it no off road so I appreciate the recommendation
Then go full on A/T...I ran 265/70s (31"-) for a while. They helped keep the illusion of off-line performance.
You know, smaller diameter easier to turn.

Beautiful what brand tires are those? And any recommendations on if I should buy those
Went all out and got Thunderer 🙄 trac grip MT. Balanced well and are quieter than I ever expected. Walmart had them for $146/tire plus installation. This is a “way-too-many-to-count” vehicle household and is not my usual road trip vehicle. But I do find myself driving this around town 90% of the time over my Tundra and 100 series.

Pic of how they look on your truck sir thank you
Went all out and got Thunderer 🙄 trac grip MT. Balanced well and are quieter than I ever expected. Walmart had them for $146/tire plus installation. This is a “way-too-many-to-count” vehicle household and is not my usual road trip vehicle. But I do find myself driving this around town 90% of the time over my Tundra and 100 series.

There's a long thread here on 80s with 35s or smaller

Searching will yield endless results on almost anything you could want to know. Using google is much better than the forum search function. For example, try something like "33 vs 35" or "35s no lift" or "best stock tire" and add "site:forum.ih8mud.com" so it specifically searches this site (or sometimes I just add "80 ih8mud")

Adding to established threads is both easier and more helpful than starting new ones - just a tip! Good luck, lots of good choices

Another...
0209201426.jpg

And another...

IMG_20190112_111646_HDR.jpg

👍
:cheers:

I

265/75r/16. Ever so slightly taller and narrower than stock tire size. They're also less expensive.

I know oversized tires are trendy but IMO 33" tires on stock suspension just looks wrong. Too big. They might be "right" with the mini lift provided by the so called stock suspension replacement springs from OME or Dobinsons.

I hear so many different Thoughts on this and looking for verification. I will not overland and will have stock bumper. Can 35’s fit without rubbing? Or stick with 33? Any pics would be helpful of the brand of tires you recommend. Trying to buy new tires tomorrow thank you guys
"Overlanding" is just a pretentious word for "road tripping. So, you are not gonna be using the rig for long trips. Gotcha. Are you gonna take it off road? Or is it a pavement queen? If so, then stick with the tire size that Toyota designed the rig for. As to the specific tire or even style of tire, that depends entirely on how you are going to use the rig (even a street rig) and what environments it will be operated in, what sort of cost parameters you have what sort of mileage you hope to get from the tires, what sort of ride and noise they need to give you.... No sense in asking the question witout more info.

Mark...

"Overlanding" is just a pretentious word for "road tripping.
Good point; one that is easily identifiable.
Is there (should there be) a "hard-core" overland spin off?
A category that encompasses the true spirit of overlanding?
A category which separates "short-term glamping" from "long-term self-sufficiency"?
So, you are not gonna be using the rig for long trips. Gotcha. Are you gonna take it off road? Or is it a pavement queen? If so, then stick with the tire size that Toyota designed the rig for.
+1 OEM-recommended tire size, for on-road use primarily, is best. 👍

Last edited:
Good point; one that is easily identifiable.
Is there (should there be) a "hard-core" overland spin off?
A category that encompasses the true spirit of overlanding?
A category which separates "short-term glamping" from "long-term self-sufficiency"?
I'll probably step on some toes and bend some noses out of shape with this... But it won't be the first time.

Personally... Overlanding seems to be a term that was invented by and for people who need to impress the less knowledgable with how... "Overlandy" they are. It needs to be forgotten and ignored. People should stop worrying about the need to label every little thing they do so that they can glamorize it for their social media BS or forum story telling. "Overlanding", "Hard core overlanding", "The true spirit of overlanding". ... (Insert sounds of retching and gagging here) It is all the same. Attempts to make road trips and campouts seem daring and "adventurous". When it becomes more about the vehicle and the gear than it is about where it takes you and what it lets you do... the point has been missed. If you self label using the word overland you are usually outing yourself as one who has. At the very least.

I have seen so many "bikini clad GF watching the sunset with all my cool name brand BS staging the setting" posts on instagram and similar places that I am almost hating bikini pics! ;)
Or the greybeards of local weekend vehicle clubs of whatever brand affiliation letting newbies tag along with them as they spend the night camped in a designated campground in a national forest 30 miles from home... talking about "teaching the yunguns how to overland". (Seriously the cringe you can find on Youtube!)

Even worse are all the vendors catering to all the wannabes and pousers. Selling any and everything they can cram on their website and watching it fly off the shelf the instant they slap the word Overland on it. They have it figured out "If you market it, they will buy"

Mark...

I'll probably step on some toes and bend some noses out of shape with this... But it won't be the first time.

Personally... Overlanding seems to be a term that was invented by and for people who need to impress the less knowledgable with how... "Overlandy" they are. It needs to be forgotten and ignored. People should stop worrying about the need to label every little thing they do so that they can glamorize it for their social media BS or forum story telling. "Overlanding", "Hard core overlanding", "The true spirit of overlanding". ... (Insert sounds of retching and gagging here) It is all the same. Attempts to make road trips and campouts seem daring and "adventurous". When it becomes more about the vehicle and the gear than it is about where it takes you and what it lets you do... the point has been missed. If you self label using the word overland you are usually outing yourself as one who has. At the very least.

I have seen so many "bikini clad GF watching the sunset with all my cool name brand BS staging the setting" posts on instagram and similar places that I am almost hating bikini pics! ;)
Or the greybeards of local weekend vehicle clubs of whatever brand affiliation letting newbies tag along with them as they spend the night camped in a designated campground in a national forest 30 miles from home... talking about "teaching the yunguns how to overland". (Seriously the cringe you can find on Youtube!)

Even worse are all the vendors catering to all the wannabes and pousers. Selling any and everything they can cram on their website and watching it fly off the shelf the instant they slap the word Overland on it. They have it figured out "If you market it, they will buy"

Mark...
It is and always will be "car camping" imo.

Mark...
Hi Mark.

Read your comment specifically quoting words I said.

Guessing you've never really overlanded (retch) in your lifetime to now.
That's OK.
I disagree with your assumptions assertions and suggest you try it once if you get the chance.
It simply isn't the same as just "destination camping".
It's closer to "nomading"; perhaps a better term?
A "traveling camper" if you will.

Take some pills and a few bags so there is no spillage along the way. (gag)
Still think you'd enjoy it regardless.
:cheers:

Sam...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom