Builds 71 Forty build - Tilda Bogue Service Station (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have a few hours to burn today before I head out of town. 4Plus swingout shipped Friday as well as the flip kit so I’ll have two big items done by the end of next week.

In preparation I decided to go ahead and pull the old Con Ferr bumper off.

Of course, the steel diamond plate was there for a reason.

Jesus. Who bolts a piece of steel on a non-prepped frame? What a hack.

I got the frame cleaned up and did some metal repair from the back. Luckily the 4Plus carrier is so stout. It will shore up the cracked main frame.

View attachment 2963991

I broke out the POR15 for this and brushed on a heavy coat to soak in good to give me a nice base to build this back correctly.

Also working on a solution for the body where the stock carrier came off. Normally if the truck is a patina truck or correctly painted I just stick stainless bolts back in the old holes and roll on. This one will need more. Stay tuned.

View attachment 2963992
Subscribed! I’m looking for a solution to the holes in my Aqualu tub when I put my 4Plus on…
Thinking stainless steel bolts touch up painted to match the tub

Subscribed! I’m looking for a solution to the holes in my Aqualu tub when I put my 4Plus on…
Thinking stainless steel bolts touch up painted to match the tub

I’m going to try to make some plates. I’ll post when it happens.

One major piece of “the formula” landed a few hours ago. Thanks @lcwizard for the outstanding products you make sir.

4D95D246-00D1-4910-8899-0C93AB6D7C25.jpeg

BEC3D790-6486-4A85-9675-68C7B4C7CC3C.jpeg

What are you doing for front seats on this build? Keeping the bench seat with factory tool box or??

What are you doing for front seats on this build? Keeping the bench seat with factory tool box or??

No bench. Hoping to break some new ground here.

Getting buckets to sit level with each other and keep the toolbox is going to take some
Wizardry

Stay tuned

No bench. Hoping to break some new ground here.

Getting buckets to sit level with each other and keep the toolbox is going to take some
Wizardry

Stay tuned
Nice, I’ll definitely be watching to see what you come up with. I took out my factory bench seat in my early 72 in favor of some aftermarket Corbeau’s. While comfy, they don’t look right since they are different heights.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with before I go back to the bench seat

The one great thing about this truck is that it’s got a great paint job. It’s not an OEM 40 color but I like it. I think maybe its FJ Cruiser green.

Dunno really. That said, it’s a nice paint job with what seems like little Bondo.

The plan is basically what I do….make it drive straight. Stop straight. Ride good. Look good.

Step one.

Dobinsons IMS

Step 2

Yokohamas on City Racer 16s

Step 3

Take the turd Weber equipped F/3 speed out and replace it with a 2F/Split Case/Sniper EFI

You know, “The Formula”

Yesterday I unboxed all these goodies and loaded them up in the Goat
View attachment 2959126

I dropped the tires and wheels at my local fella that mounts and balances with a bubble balancer and uses used weights. He’s always on the money. Knows how to line the green dots with the valve stem and all
View attachment 2959128
Next I ran down to Powder Keg and grabbed the Dobinsons IMS that @Ozark cruiser sent to me
View attachment 2959127

When I got home I tore out the interior to get the driveline ready to pull from the top and ran into my first problem. The painter who is a good painter obviously does not work on Land Cruisers because he covered all the tranny hump bolts with bed liner. LOTS of bedliner.
View attachment 2959130

I had to use a wire wheel to grind the heads clean in order to get the 10mm on them and a razor to cut out the hump View attachment 2959131

No surprise, this is just a paint job over a dirty ass truck. I’m not sure how people do this, but they do.

Either way. It has begun. Stay tuned…..
Ha, I just went though this exact ordeal. But it is a full frame-off resto so I eventually peeled all of it off. In addition to the factory bolts three of which were broken off into the pan, I had about a dozen self-drilling screws holding my transmission cover on and no gasket.

Ha, I just went though this exact ordeal. But it is a full frame-off resto so I eventually peeled all of it off. In addition to the factory bolts three of which were broken off into the pan, I had about a dozen self-drilling screws holding my transmission cover on and no gasket.
South/Central America?

South/Central America?
No, I am restoring, well resto-mod, a fairly rust free '74 out of Southern California. It has previous owner problems from a half-ass preservation attempt. Line-X coating over dents and holes. 1/4" thick coating in some places.

Bed liner 2.jpg

Bed liner 3.jpg

These early tanks have a sweet spot. I missed it by about 1/16th and had to run a Dremel inside the tank and clearance the vertical baffle a bit
Any tricks to finding this exact spot. Going to attempt this same thing, your photo kinda shows the spot. But missing it by 1/16th inch makes me feel like it is maybe more than just eyeballing.

Any tricks to finding this exact spot. Going to attempt this same thing, your photo kinda shows the spot. But missing it by 1/16th inch makes me feel like it is maybe more than just eyeballing.
You can do some measurements through the sending hole. If your tank is exactly like this you will need to cheat it to driver more than I did but there is a valley there I was trying to avoid. Go all the way to the edge and you will be fine

6FE6A0A9-286C-403A-8DE2-D1DEFFF78C89.jpeg

Yes!

Plenty of clearance!
It will come down a bit with the drivetrain back in it. They are the same height as the 255/85s but a good 2” wider.

Nice photobomb :D

Rear shackle angle?

There is no weight in the truck. No driveline. That said, the Dobinsons springs are set up to have vertical shackles loaded. That was my first question with the first one I installed.

Surprisingly these suspensions ride amazing like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom