Builds Whitey Forty - Tilda Bogue Service Station (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
This one just happened into my life last week.

I was about to start in on a 1976 FJ40 to build up and sell until my next scheduled project showed up.

The Whitey Forty has been around Jackson for about 12 years. The owner says it as restored to its current condition by Rocky Mountain Cruisers about 5-6 years before he bought it out of SLC.

He contacted me in reference of the guy I built Powda Blue for and just wanted me to tell me what I thought of the truck and what I would do to make it more reliable and fun to drive

1978….

A05F2858-2876-4B1E-BD58-8D107A806DC3.jpeg

Giddy up

Michael the owner drove it all of the way from his office here which is about 40 miles. It arrived seemingly fine and we gave it a look see and he took a tour of the shop. I don’t have a lot here to show off here right now but he got the idea he was in the right place.

Next day I take it for a drive.

After my evaluation I told him I thought this was a C+ runner. About where most 40s are. Steering is hard. Carburator is barely running. Wires all over. Hodgepodge of new and original rubber hoses. Stiff suspension. Fake bead locks with 20 year old BFGs.

My answer was it does not have to have anything but it really needs everything.

I got the green light.

Yesterday afternoon I drove it up on the wash rack and started cleaning the underside and knocked off as much of the poorly-applied-to-everything (Tcase, springs, axles, etc) POR 15.

It came off in huge flakes. Took a while but I got most of it off. Thankfully this truck is in rust free Mississippi because the way this stuff was applied it would have destroyed a truck in salt areas.

IMG_8467.jpeg

IMG_8468.jpeg

IMG_8469.jpeg

IMG_8470.jpeg

IMG_8471.jpeg

The motor is strong. I would guess it’s been rebuilt. Looks like the only leaks are the valve cover. It also has an oil cooler. I don’t think those came on 78s normally but I may be wrong. I’ll pull the block number and see if anyone knows.

I’m tearing this all down and ordering parts as I go.

I spent the afternoon taking parts and putting them into

A) the garbage
B) California pile (for the poor saps that need this garbage on their 40)
C) powder coater pile

IMG_8483.jpeg

Example of garbage
IMG_8484.jpeg

Just before lunch progress
IMG_8486.jpeg

Just after lunch progress
IMG_8487.jpeg

Gotta undo some prior mods and all the current stereo wires. Audio Solutions will get him properly wired tunes once I’m done.

Finally I dragged it out into the gravel and “cut its throat” and let it bleed green.

Once it bled out I blasted the grease off as best I could.

Now it’s back inside. I will put a couple more hours on it

The stripping continues

IMG_8490.jpeg

IMG_8491.jpeg

IMG_8493.jpeg

IMG_8495.jpeg

Fantastic!

That’s as deep as I’m going today. Tomorrow I’ll get the rest of the block stripped so I can start cleaning and painting

IMG_8496.jpeg

My 77 has an oil cooler, when replacing the water pump a couple of years ago I struggled finding the right pump as most did not have the oil cooler line. Ended up buying a later model aisin. From what I know my truck originated in Canada so maybe some of the international market 2F’s had oil cooler?

Mine has an oil cooler as well. As far as I know, it’s spent its life in Texas, being originally purchased (I surmise) in Houston.

I always assumed that the “cooler” part meant warmer climates but I’ve never given it much thought.

Mine has an oil cooler as well. As far as I know, it’s spent its life in Texas, being originally purchased (I surmise) in Houston.

I always assumed that the “cooler” part meant warmer climates but I’ve never given it much thought.

The "cooler" is more of a temperature regulator, it can only cool the oil to temperature of the radiator/cooling system, i.e. about 190-200 degrees. It would also help warm the oil up more quickly in freezing weather. The surface contact area in the little cooler is pretty small; hard to imagine that there is a lot of heat transfer going on in there.

Cool, thanks for warm response.

Always half ass wondered what its purpose was/is.

The "cooler" is more of a temperature regulator, it can only cool the oil to temperature of the radiator/cooling system, i.e. about 190-200 degrees. It would also help warm the oil up more quickly in freezing weather. The surface contact area in the little cooler is pretty small; hard to imagine that there is a lot of heat transfer going on in there.

Hence why I usually s*** can them on my new engine builds. It’s some crazy over engineering with a lot of extra hoses that can break.

That said, this one had 2 or 3 original hoses still after all these years. You can always tell by the twist lock hose clamps.

Wait until you see the exhaust manifold on this thing. I’m removing it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom