Builds Baja 69 40 - Tilda Bogue Service Station (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
This 1969 FJ40 has had a good hard life. It’s been with its current owner around 20 years living in and around the Texas hill country.

The owner contacted me about getting it safe to drive around his neighborhood and town instead of it being relegated to ranch life as it has been for the last few years.

He sent along this book that had his story in it and why I call it the Baja 40

IMG_3026.jpeg

IMG_3023.jpeg

IMG_2668.jpeg

IMG_2667.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

Yeasssssssss!

If you have time, give this story a read.

Cliffs Notes.

Mid 2000s he drove it from Texas, up Baja and back then up the west coast to Canada and back.

That’s a lot of seat time in a 40

IMG_3028.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_3031.jpeg

IMG_3032.jpeg

Swampers.

I’ve been finishing up a 40 and a 60 that I have had going since April. Last week I delivered “Rosie” but before it left I sat down and ordered about $7000 in parts for this one. Combine that with the 4 speed I purchased and had rebuilt from @orangefj45, I’ve got a pretty good pile of parts ready to go on this one

71097228372__33678CE4-D490-4CB7-808B-297E52F9826F.jpeg

Georg came to see me last week before I split for Pennsylvania

IMG_3126.jpeg

Today I finally got settled in from being gone a week and dove in. I starred at this for about 20 minutes then took a final before picture before rolling it back out of the shop
IMG_3249.jpeg

I cut the bottom radiator hose and drained it dry and then pressure washed it as best I could.
IMG_3250.jpeg

Now I’m busy cutting out all the bad wiring and skinning this F back. The wiring is absolutely terrible. Scary. Nothing worked. No blinkers. No lights at all. This one is going to be fun.

IMG_3251.jpeg

They are staying too. Just too damn cool not to
I've read your opinion on them in various threads. This makes me happy. Swampers need love too. This documented book/history on this truck is way too cool. I see it drove through my hometown in WA when it made the trip between the mainland US and Vancouver Island. Its a pleasure watching your builds. I think you're getting close to needing your own reality TV show ;)

Awesome backstory and thrilled to follow another one of your builds!

Is this one getting the (normal) full spa treatment?

I've read your opinion on them in various threads. This makes me happy. Swampers need love too. This documented book/history on this truck is way too cool. I see it drove through my hometown in WA when it made the trip between the mainland US and Vancouver Island. Its a pleasure watching your builds. I think you're getting close to needing your own reality TV show ;)
No reality tv! Then I definitely won’t be able to afford anymore 40’s!

Awesome backstory and thrilled to follow another one of your builds!

Is this one getting the (normal) full spa treatment?

The next two builds on the books will stray a bit from the norm.

This one is getting a JimC carb. Dobinsons of course. 4Plus of course. Owner does not want it to change much except in the reliability and drivability department.

Check this damn thing I found chasing a monster purple wire ……

IMG_3252.jpeg

The next two builds on the books will stray a bit from the norm.

This one is getting a JimC carb. Dobinsons of course. 4Plus of course. Owner does not want it to change much except in the reliability and drivability department.

Check this damn thing I found chasing a monster purple wire ……

View attachment 3379876
Seat heater.

Oh yeah. Here we go….

Oh yeah. Here we go….

Great to see, looking forward to it. I remember reading about that trip over a decade ago.

Digging in. Basically going to replace everything that needs replacing.
IMG_3256.jpeg

Canned Ham Saginaw pump looks good. Alternator is good.

Funny thing also, this thing was running the stock OEM style (looks pretty new) fuel pump versus the crappy electric pump most people run with a Weber 38/38. I did not really drive it enough to tell but if that’s the way it was set up for the 8000 mile trip plus whatever has happened since then that’s pretty interesting to me. Next to the square air filter those crappy fuel pumps make up 96% of my Weber hate

Pile building for PowderKeg
IMG_3257.jpeg

The top end was rebuilt at some point. It’s in great shape. Oiling is nice and even.
IMG_3259.jpeg

Where I stopped for the morning.

IMG_3258.jpeg

IMG_3260.jpeg

Aight. That’s enough for the day.

Couple things I have to work out. This JimC carb has a return. Going to have to T in a return in the main tank.

Gotta figure out a throttle cable bracket as well. No linkage.

Air cleaner clearance since it’s got a Saginaw pump in the way
New water pump. OEM thermostat and new housing.

Plastic fan.

IMG_3268.jpeg

IMG_3267.jpeg

IMG_3266.jpeg

IMG_3265.jpeg

IMG_3262.jpeg

Aight. That’s enough for the day.

Couple things I have to work out. This JimC carb has a return. Going to have to T in a return in the main tank.

Gotta figure out a throttle cable bracket as well. No linkage.

Air cleaner clearance since it’s got a Saginaw pump in the way
New water pump. OEM thermostat and new housing.

Plastic fan.

View attachment 3380655

View attachment 3380657

View attachment 3380659

View attachment 3380661

View attachment 3380662
If you run the correct early fuel pump, can't you just put a plug in the carb "return" port? Early 40's had no fuel return line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom