Builds Whitey Forty - Tilda Bogue Service Station (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nolan, I noticed you used the FJcompany 16” wheels. Was this a customer desire ? They look great. BTW.

Nolan, I noticed you used the FJcompany 16” wheels. Was this a customer desire ? They look great. BTW.
I prefer them if the gray is period correct. They don’t make black. Very very nice wheels

The stereo shop cleaned up the crazy wires from the old stereo and added a nice new head unit. These are the old speakers and they did fine. I had them 86 the big ass amp and subwoofer under the drivers seat. Sounds fine without it.

IMG_9320.jpeg

IMG_9322.jpeg

IMG_9323.jpeg

My last project for Phase 1 was to install City Racer Electric Power Steering

I’ve done a few of these and I went back to look at my threads and did not write up the install so I’ll see if I can add a few tips and tricks here to make it easy on someone else

The instructions are decent. Kinda hard to interpret the first time.

First off, it says you have to clearance the dash for it to work and I’ve never had to. It’s tight but no grinding needed

Pull the wheel and the plastic from around the ignition. You have to unplug the ignition but you can keep the blinkers plugged in. Just slip it off the column and lay it on the floor.

IMG_9305.jpeg

Unbolt the column at the rag joint (replace rag is needed) Pull the 3 bolts that hold the column to the firewall. May need to pull throttle pedal. I did.

Remove it
IMG_9306.jpeg
IMG_9307.jpeg

The trickiest thing is getting this little snap ring off that holds the ignition to the old column
IMG_9308.jpeg

Remove it and then the bearing and the lower clip is easy to remove.
IMG_9309.jpeg

Next you stack the ignition back on the new column. Reinstall clips, bearing and cover
IMG_9310.jpeg

Next remove this clamp
IMG_9312.jpeg

Once the clamp is off you can stack up all the pieces as in this photo and then reinstall the bolt holding the clamp
IMG_9313.jpeg

Tip: install the computer thing now. More room to work.

Reinstalling is hard to do by yourself because you need to hold this unit semi- in -place while you stab the rag joint. I found using a block of wood to hold the column up off the seat kept it at the proper angle for me to attach rag joint
IMG_9315.jpeg

Tip here. Make sure before you tighten the firewall 3 bolts and the bottom two that go up into the dash you have all of your wires for ignition and blinkers along the top of the column and plugged in.

I use a longer M8 bolt on the bolts that go up from the bottom that hold the column. Easier to get them started.

Once those two are tight then tighten the firewall plate bolts.

Slip the blinker back in place. Bolt up it and the plastic cover
IMG_9316.jpeg

Done.
IMG_9317.jpeg

IMG_9318.jpeg

Took me 4 hours.

Happy Sunday all.
IMG_9337.jpeg
IMG_9338.jpeg

Took Whitey for a nice long drive today and she performed perfectly.
IMG_9339.jpeg
IMG_9340.jpeg

Dialed up my Mural Monday for @89nolder

B8E41FB5-23BB-40D3-B214-AA8D8E70FE07.jpeg

Made a little speed run at the end. Deputy Sherriff pulled toward me down the stretch before I could hit 80 but close enough.

@wngrog do you have one of those “get out of jail free’ cards? Or, do you need us to send over some bail money ?

Nice job sir

Have you seen his food related gig? He knows where all law enforcement dine in Mississippi 😂.

@wngrog i failed to mention earlier…..that photo of the Sniper screen is a charm. It is purring nicely and your voltage problem is gone. If you have a distributor tied into the Sniper, would the display indicate your timing as the engine demands advance or retard?

@wngrog i failed to mention earlier…..that photo of the Sniper screen is a charm. It is purring nicely and your voltage problem is gone. If you have a distributor tied into the Sniper, would the display indicate your timing as the engine demands advance or retard?

If you use the Hyperspark setup. Mosley had custom gears made for the distributors and they work nice. I’ve only done 1 vehicle that way.

Is that really a VW pad on the throttle? I sure hope so, love it!

axis powers.jpg

Is that really a VW pad on the throttle? I sure hope so, love it!

Beetle pad is a perfect fit; I have one on mine too - put it on there years ago when I needed a pedal rubber and had that one left over from my Beetle days.

IMG_0699.JPG

Nolan, quick question on the rear brakes. Do you install a proportioning valve when converting to the disc brakes with the early 80 series MC? I'm really thinking I want to ditch my drums and move my brakes forward a couple of decades.

Nolan, quick question on the rear brakes. Do you install a proportioning valve when converting to the disc brakes with the early 80 series MC? I'm really thinking I want to ditch my drums and move my brakes forward a couple of decades.
Yes. City Racer has a Wilwood kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom