Who else has ripped out all their interior for sound deadening and running wire? Any gotchas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't expect to find any money as I don't carry change, it goes in the Ashtray, I do however expect to find about half a box of mike and Ike's my girlfriend dumped down the side of the passenger seat and under the console lol...but good advice

I will bet a bottle of good gluten free beer you will find at least a dollar during your quest.

I will bet a bottle of good gluten free beer you will find at least a dollar during your quest.
Gluten free beer!? I don't drink, but if I did I think I'd feel offended that hippies have ruined beer lol. I had the console out and carpet rolled back when I first bought the cruiser to install my CB cable and run power etc...CB is mounted inside the center console. There was probably 4-5 coins under there including a corroded peso. Seeing as I don't carry money or change in my pockets I think I'd take that bet. Her on the other hand, she's always got snacks she's dropping everywhere, very frustrating.

Don't blame the hippies in my case. God had his hand in my forced gluten avoidance.... Omission, a brewery up by where you hang your hat has made my life better by making some palatable drinks.

Anyway, I have gone to pick and pulls where admission is $2 to get in the door and always make money pulling an 80 apart. Never found a peso, but last two have come up with dollar coins. Who uses dollar coins?

Are you liking the results with the boom mat? I have the noico silver butyl liner and trying to decide what layer to put over it. The boom mat vs.
Amazon.com: Noico Liner 157 Mil 37.5 Sqft Car Heat Insulation Pad, Foam Self-adhesive Sound Deadening and Automotive Dampening Mat for Cars (1/6'' Sound Deadener): Automotive

What size roll or sq. ft. did you use?

Are you liking the results with the boom mat? I have the noico silver butyl liner and trying to decide what layer to put over it. The boom mat vs.
Amazon.com: Noico Liner 157 Mil 37.5 Sqft Car Heat Insulation Pad, Foam Self-adhesive Sound Deadening and Automotive Dampening Mat for Cars (1/6'' Sound Deadener): Automotive

I use the Noico liner over the silver. Works really well. Noticeable difference. There is no noticeable heat transfer from the tunnel.

Application was really easy as well. Conforms very nicely to the odd shapes and contours. I bought two large rolls for full coverage including roof

The boom mat is working out great in sound and heat reduction. One drawback is that it is rather thick so getting everything under the factory carpet was a task but well worth it once installed. I believe I purchased a qty 2 of the #050113 however had some left over.

I couldn't be happier that I asked this question! I thought the foam went UNDER the butyl.

There's a gotcha. 'Mud is a life saver.

Has anyone done a before and after decibel/ambient sound measurement?

Has anyone done a before and after decibel/ambient sound measurement?

I have not used a decimal meter but the difference is huge. When I got the cruiser, it did not have any carpet in it. PO ripped it out due to leaks leading to mildew. All I could hear is the Diesel chugging away in front of me along with a s*** ton of rattles and vibrations. After doing the butyl and the thermo decoupling all I can hear is what comes out the exhaust. I have not lined the rear decklid yet. Night and Day!

That’s gonna be a fun project, no mechanical prowess necessary. I removed the carpet, power washed it and used just the foam Nico all over the cabin cargo area, if I were to do it again id do the doors and the trans area because I still get heat from that area. I also swupped dashes!

14E39FA4-D317-4647-84C5-60FA60788E5E.jpeg

B62903FA-045A-40C4-8CD7-651AD6518A44.jpeg

Thread revival!

Need some advice from the experts. I'm looking to reduce in-cabin noise primarily, not too concerned about heat, but if that improves in the process, that's a plus.

My carpet is pretty worn and I'm looking to replace it. Will be ordering carpet with the mass-back layer. First question, is it worth removing the interior and doing a layer of Dynamat in addition to the carpet or will I get most of the sound deadening from the carpet? Would a foam layer under the carpet be better than the dynamat for sound? If so, what kind do you recommend?

Is it a requirement to remove all the factory crap on the floor or can the dynamat or foam be laid down on top of it?

If I'm missing something, please let me know. Thanks

Thread revival!

Need some advice from the experts. I'm looking to reduce in-cabin noise primarily, not too concerned about heat, but if that improves in the process, that's a plus.

My carpet is pretty worn and I'm looking to replace it. Will be ordering carpet with the mass-back layer. First question, is it worth removing the interior and doing a layer of Dynamat in addition to the carpet or will I get most of the sound deadening from the carpet? Would a foam layer under the carpet be better than the dynamat for sound? If so, what kind do you recommend?

Is it a requirement to remove all the factory crap on the floor or can the dynamat or foam be laid down on top of it?

Haven't done this to my truck so can't say I have first hand experience, but I'd be shocked if you noticed any real difference with in-cabin sound from just replacing the carpet/backing. Dynamat/the competitors make a pretty discernible difference.

Believe it was @musthave who posted in another thread about a three stage process that looked really promising. Can't find it now, hopefully he'll chime in.

Thread revival!

Haven't done this to my truck so can't say I have first hand experience, but I'd be shocked if you noticed any real difference with in-cabin sound from just replacing the carpet/backing. Dynamat/the competitors make a pretty discernible difference.

Believe it was @musthave who posted in another thread about a three stage process that looked really promising. Can't find it now, hopefully he'll chime in.
Edit: Nevermind, found it. Here you go Sound matting, dynamat or similar, how many QSFT

I've done the full process now on more than a few 80 series and have it down pretty good. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. If you want to go with SecondSkin, our shop is a dealer and installer. I can get you headed in the right direction. The 3 stage process works absolutely great. Once the carpet is out and the jute stuff is removed the rest isn't difficult at all.

Thread revival!

After doing quite a few of these, here's what I would do. Of course it all depends on your credit card limit :).

Remove the existing carpet, door panels, and then get rid of all the jute that is left over. Next, use the SecondSkin 3 Step process. Install Damplifier pro self adhesive. Then spray SecondSkin Spectrum. That stuff looks messy but it cleans up with water. It's an easy process. Lastly, install Luxury Liner Pro. You can skip the Spectrum if you want to save a bit of work and $. With the 3 steps completed, I would install new OEM carpet. If you do the 3 step process you won't be dissapointed. It's absolutely incredible what the difference is. With 35" mud tires on it's quiet inside when driving 70 down the highway.

I don't care for Dynamat, could be a personal preference but I never got great results with it. No matter which way you choose, get rid of the factory crap.

What I did and really enjoy the silence.

Finished laying out on page 8

I used QuietCrap (not sure if still solid anymore but similiar to others out there ; not sure how it compares to the 'premimium' products) through the truck; everywhere except roof. I also added a heat protection layer (comes on roll at Lowes) like a bubble type wrap.
I didn't do any sound deadening material (SDM).
I was happy with the results and did make a difference. Worth it to validate condition of truck/floor etc. and also get extra wiring done.
I'd consider an SDM if had the monies to go experiment (as varying 'evidence' and views). I've not seen any true decibels before and after to justify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom